It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GITMO closed for bussines?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Looks like the wheels are in motion.

WASHINGTON: The U.S. State Department has confirmed that the United States is negotiating with several Muslim countries to return detainees held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to their custody. "We are now looking at moving forward on understandings with a number of other countries for an even greater number of transfers," State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said this week. "There are ongoing discussions with other countries ... for the transfer of their nationals," he said. The Washington Post, quoting a senior State Department official, said the United States is nearing agreement with 10 countries, including Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt, Kuwait and Morocco.

The official told the Post that Washington also is pressing to persuade a European country to accept at least 15 Chinese Uigurs and two Uzbeks eligible for release, but unable to return to their home countries for fear of persecution.

Source

Triumph of Terrorists?

Triumph of Justice?

Or Administration's damage control?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
probably triumph for the terrorists since their handbook about how to deal with interrogators worked very well. i mean wat do we do for Osama if we capture him. send him to Yemen his homeland or send him to Saudi Arabia which usually denies access to the FBI or CIA to interrogate him. Osama would no doubt feel more comforable at Saudi Arabia than in Gitmo.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I believe that if confirmed, this will merely be a break up and relocation of current inmates to separate 'secret' jails. It's like not "putting all your eggs in one basket".

Imagine if X amount are relocated to "Supermax" in Afghanistan, and this facility is blown up by whoever. How very convenient.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I vote administration damage control. And I agree with sanctum that it may very well just be in essence a 'relocation' because GITMO is taking so much heat from the hippie liberals who want the terrorists to be treated like kings!

Forgive me for not trusting my government.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I agree. Bush cant take any more torture allegations, he's looking bad as it is. His numbers are low. He's cutting his losses and washing his hands of the entire business - after all, he's got countries to invade.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I hope for the sake of those held prisoners and any new ones captured, that this practice of secrecy and torture ceases. If the government has nothing to hide, then be all means why aren't they open and transparent? Charge them and THEN incarcerate them - doing it in secrecy will make the humane advocates jump all over you - even if the prisoners happen to be guilty.

I would have to agree with the skeptical views of benevolant though - I think they will take them underground somewhere away from the spotlight.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I don't understand about shiping these 15 Chinese Uigurs and two Uzbeks eligible for release to Europe. What is that all about. US arrested them why should Europe deal with them.

I'm very interested which European country will be "persuaded".

And I wonder what does it mean "eligible for release" in counter-terrorism term.

[edit on 17-8-2005 by yanchek]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This, indirectly, is great news. These guys had it good at Gitmo. Now they will be detained in places not too nice and places where they wont have the voice to complain. Places where the USA will not need to worry about public opinion.

This is a closet victory for the west.

These detainees are finished.

[edit on 17-8-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
So the USA, once again standing up for freedom and democracy, will hand suspects over to countries that are known to torture.

Another noble act in a war already overflowing with heroics and moral triumph for America.

Remember that the men realsed from Gitmo to the UK were released as soon as they arrived. There is no real evidence against these men.

This is appaling really.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think that all this Talk about Gitmo in the News - Gitmo this, Gitmo that - is making the US Military pretty much NERVOUS and they want to close it down as soon as possible and transfer all the prisoners to "OTHER", More Secret Locations, where pesky newsreporters and Amnesty International Activists won't have access to.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I guess now we'll never know who was really guilty or innocent. Unless the other countries do what the US was unwilling to do, accuse people they detain of crimes and give them trials.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have another question.

Do you think relocated Guantanamo detainees will receive a hero's welcome or "GITMO Deluxe treatment"?

Cheers

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by yanchek
I don't understand about shiping these 15 Chinese Uigurs and two Uzbeks eligible for release to Europe. What is that all about. US arrested them why should Europe deal with them.

As was pointed out:

The official told the Post that Washington also is pressing to persuade a European country to accept at least 15 Chinese Uigurs and two Uzbeks eligible for release, but unable to return to their home countries for fear of persecution.

So you see, the US is not shipping these detainees off to torture chambers far away from Amnesty Int'l eyes.

We care. We really do.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
So the USA, once again standing up for freedom and democracy, will hand suspects over to countries that are known to torture.

Another noble act in a war already overflowing with heroics and moral triumph for America.

Remember that the men realsed from Gitmo to the UK were released as soon as they arrived. There is no real evidence against these men.

This is appaling really.

So we cant hold them in gitmo, and we cant send them back, what the hell do you want us to do, make them citizens and turn them loose? get real!

You cant have it both ways, one or the other and you(liberals) chose the worst possible outcome for the prisoners, I bet they love you now!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
honestly when I heard of the treatment of the ppl at gitmo I was appauled *sp*
surely they deserved it perhaps, but come on, we are supposed to be the shining beacon *well someone thinks we are* in the world....

we are made out to be like the big brother

I've always had one serious problem with what went on there and that is:

Any other country does it its classified a war crime,

we do it we are suddenly excused......

yeah the people that were responsible were brought up on charges *I believe* but come on, it shouldn't have happened to begin with, we are civilized beings for christs sake. we should be acting like we are....

sorry if this message seems outta whack, just the whole gitmo situation pissed me off to no end.....

*and I'm neither left or right wing, I'm me, and the previous has just been a rant/opinion of mine*

new topics

top topics

join