It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly Driving Lesson Kills a Mother

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Okay heres the Lowdown. A father, Richard Miller, drives to an empty parking lot to give his daughter, Meghan, driving lessons on Sunday. The daughter accidentaly confused the accelerator with the brake and sped out of of control through an intersection and into a backyard. A mother with her child was in the yard as the teen sped towards them. The woman threw the baby out of the way and was run over and killed by the car.

So now Richard Miller is being charged with vehicular manslaughter because he allowed his daughter to drive without a permit. Now he faces 12 years in prison and Meghan could be sent to juvey till shes 21. Is this fair? I dont think so. It was an accident and the father took the precaution of using an empty parking lot. Thats not to say there shouldnt be charges but 12 years and manslaughter is way too extreme. Isn't the guilt of allowing your daughter to kill someone punishment enough.

What do you think?
NBC 10
CBS 3
The Philidalphia Inquirer

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Sounds quite draconian to me...I drove around my subdivision a bit before I got my license (albeit I never killed anyone), I think it's a common practice. It's a shame this woman died but it was an accident. No one should be jailed for 12 years for an accident.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Someone has to be held accountable for the death of this woman. The woman was killed. She's gone forever and her daughter will never know her real mother, etc. Argue semantics all you want, when a life is lost, someone needs to be held accountable and do some time. 12 years admittedly is a lot. But, he gave the dead woman and her whole family a life sentence (and his daughter will probably be scarred for life as well).

He broke the law which directly resulted in the death of this woman. He needs to do some time, period. At least 2 years, but I think 5 would be better. 12 is too much!!

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I have to agree with Xanax on this one. The thing that gets me is that how long was her foot on the accelerator before she realized she was accelerating and not braking? It seems like some part of the story is still missing. But yes, somebody has to pay for this. Whatever minor punishment, relatively speaking, the father and daughter will have to endure is justified considering the fact that they killed this lady.

Peace

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It appears to be an epidemic. Check this out... happened Monday night.

Click me!

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Well...she didn't have a permit.

I know this is apparently common, but that doesn't make it right. The father is - and it's a tragedy for everyone concerned - responsible for the actions of his daughter.

The sentencing might seem harsh, but this isn't an isolated incident...it needs to stop.

Sure, it was an accident - but it's an accident which was completely preventable, and should have been avoided because she wasn't legally permitted to be in control of that vehicle.

Therefore, it's negligence, yes?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Do the adult crime, you can do the adult time, no matter what age.

top topics

join