It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Black Berets"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Well this is information I am curious of anybody have any first hand or secondary information of the "Black berets".I know they have to have some top secret missions and other information.I knew one of these Black Berets and he was very interesting to say the least.I'm not for total sure but I believe nowadays anybody can be one but back in the day you were the elite of the elite.

[edit on 16-8-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I think you're refering to the black berets issued to the best of the best Army Rangers. It used to be a privlidge, an honor to have a black beret in the Army. Now, however, that has changed, and a lot of Rangers are quite upset over it. You can read something of the requirements and why the Rangers are so upset here.

What kind of information are you looking for, though?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Umm yeah.....every soldier (with a lower case "s") has a black beret. A few years back a black beret signified an Army ranger, only they wore them.

On that topic, the Army is all about snoozy doozy bling bling and looking good. Did the black beret really make a difference? Why couldnt it stay unique to the rangers? Im surprised they don't have a marksmanship award for taking a leak (do they?) Or a ribbon for brushing your teeth.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Yeah ,I don't think that it is right to have every soldier marked as the (best) of the best these black berets were top of their class.God forbid, we actualy have an elite group that is distinguished by their outfits.Why have rank for that matter if we are going to pile everybody in the average class.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Rangers used to be black... Now they're red I believe.
The Air Force used to have a group that wore, or perhaps still wear, the black beret. The Forward Air Controllers (Combat Controllers).

There are, unfortunately, only so many base colors to go around.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Well, this maybe different in the British armed forces, but the beret just shows what type of regiment they are (I think). Like the Royal Green Jackets and Royal Marines both have a green beret as they are infantry who are mobilised very quickly. Meanwhile the MP's have a red beret, the Royal Engineers have a dark blue or black as they don't need to be too tactical.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86
Rangers used to be black... Now they're red I believe.

no its tan now. red is airborne i believe

There are, unfortunately, only so many base colors to go around.

the Army just wants the soldiers to feel cool and look elite. but in the battlefield with yer kevlar helmet thats where u show wat u can do.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Yes, Rangers wear Tan berets. Special Forces, Green. Pararescue, Red I think.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
In canada, green berets are regular infantry,arty and engineers, black are zipperheads (armoured), red are for the meatheads (MP's). We used to be able to sell or trade our green berets down in the states when we were using their training areas. In Canada the reserve units can have more interesting headress like balmorals etc.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
If you are assigned to an Airborne unit, such as the 82d Airborne Infantry, you wear a red beret. (Not really red, more like a burgundy or maroon.)

If you are Special Forces qualified, and in a Special Forces unit, you wear a green beret; hence the "Green Berets".

The thing with the Rangers and their black berets, is that they weren't originally black. They were actually originally tan, just like they are now, but somewhere along the line someone thought that black was cooler. Which it is.

I don't exactly know the reason why the Army decided to make all of it's soldiers wear black berets all of a sudden. I thought they were just a pain in the ass.

By the way, if you are a U.S. soldier working as part of a UN interdiction or similar operation, you wear a stupid, gay powder blue beret. And this stupid neck thing that is also powder blue, stupid, and gay. And blue patches, and for the love of God, what else? Blue kevlars. Stupid. n'gay too.

Blue helmet. What tactical genius thought of that one? The stupid gay one, that's which one!

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Blue helmets are used, when troops under UN authorisation NEED TO BE SEEN.
If you're supposed to be seen/correctly identified blue is a good colour, since it's mostly reserved for UN duty.
And Peacekeepers are supposed to be seen, in order to promote security and to avoid them being mistaken as one of the parties in a conflict.
(the things around the neck do look Gay, i must admit)

As for looking cool i prefer my Green Beret with the Golden Lion in it

...and i combat recon should wear caps

[edit on 17-8-2005 by northwolf]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
here is the skinny

Red:82nd Airborne division
Green:Army Special Forces
Black:plain * army (former rangers) as well as air force security forces
tan:Rangers

*ed to remove profanity

[edit on 17-8-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben94gt
here is the skinny

Red:82nd Airborne division
Green:Army Special Forces
Black:plain * army (former rangers) as well as air force security forces
tan:Rangers

no blue?
no orange?
no yellow?

my God wat has the world come too!!!
i want to spit on those who never mentioned about picking those colors for the U.S. military. blue my fav color.

[edit on 17-8-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
A few of my faveroutes

RMC: Green, proper green not these rip off greens you se but proper green.
Argylls: Black with a large cap badge and red and white square pattern going round (not really a "beret" but I like it...mind you If I didnt I wouldnt be allowed in my clan lol)
RN: Blue or black
SAS: Tan
SBS: Green, so no one can tell the diffrence between them and normal marines..he he

ST6

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Airborne is not red, it's Maroon.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkmonkey14
Pararescue, Red I think.

PJ's wear Maroon berets.
I know because I wore one.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I wonder if you can get a pink beret....

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
u sure can.....u can join the Pink Brigade!!!

www.freewebs.com...

the best of the best. assassination, recon, pararescue, intelligence gathering, etc. the best trained and equipped force in the whole entire freaking special forces community.

redhatstore.com...

looks good, im sure the Brits want to wear this for is shows less intimidation to the local population.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
u sure can.....u can join the Pink Brigade!!!

www.freewebs.com...

the best of the best. assassination, recon, pararescue, intelligence gathering, etc. the best trained and equipped force in the whole entire freaking special forces community.

redhatstore.com...

looks good, im sure the Brits want to wear this for is shows less intimidation to the local population.

I duno whats more intimidating, a 6ft high scotsman in a pink kilt with a pink beret or a 6ft high scotsman in full camo gear.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Wahey! You mentioned Royal Marines!!! The RJG wear a similar colour to them, but I think it's just slightly differen't. American forces don't have proper cap badges, they just have a patch.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join