It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voting against change

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
zee point?

Zee point is that each new project that the council is wanting to get impletmented will have to be funded via points and now there are board specific points so I guess if you farmed points at X board you can use them at Y board to influence it greatly because you don't visit it as often you know so those who are there pick what they want I GUESS

I'm not all the sure either hehehehe ain't it grand?

However No reason to hoard points!

THERE BE NO CROWN!

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Someone needs to dig up the thread announcing the voluntary tax for the new system.

In short...

Some BTS and PTS specific changes are likely to be presented that require similar voluntary taxes to "fund" as a means for understanding member desire for new features. If those boards earned little or no points, it would be difficult for those who spend most of their time there to obtain the needed points to pass the resolutions.

Some board-specific features are also likely to be launched that require board-specific points to purchase.

And... if anyone actually looked at the store, right now you can select which board account to use when paying for an item, or combine your accounts to pay for it.

(I now return you to your regularly scheduled moaning)

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
So, it's a component of the "voluntary tax system" and the Council advent. That's it?

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Hi there.. just wondering if you could possibly put this into layman's terms that even I can understand the point system changes..

Thanks

Dallas

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Well, here is the chain of events as I understand them.

First, there was the announcement that there was to be ordained by an elective process a Members' Council. Following that, there was an announcement that there were changes to the point system suggested by the Council and that such changes were to be implemented by a "voluntary tax system," whereby members voted with their points. In the case of the point change, it took one million points, if my memory serves, to implement that change. So, it would seem that, as Lysergic pointed out, that each new Council proposal will be implemented by members voting with their points, a "voluntary tax system."

The only flaw that I see to such a system is that there is really no way for someone to vote against a change except not to "pay up." At any rate, it's cool with me. I just didn't get the point until now. That is, if I am correct in my assessment.

[edit on 2005/8/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Someone needs to dig up the thread announcing the voluntary tax for the new system.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That one?

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Thanks for that. Suppose we all pay sooner or later.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Well, here is the chain of events as I understand them.

That was the way I understood them as well. I'm just a lurker mostly, don't post much, but enjoy ATS. Everything was handled in a democratic process, but still people whine.

The only flaw that I see to such a system is that there is really no way for someone to vote against a change except not to "pay up."

I never thought this was a flaw. Those that had points to burn (that actively participated in your forum, that have the most expertise and background) voted. But once again the members whine.

I just didn't get the point until now.

Hopefully others will get the point. If points are all important to you, then get to posting and quit complaining. The staff seems to have bent over backwards to accomodate you. It didn't cost you any money for the upgrade, you didn't work on the upgrade, but you can enjoy the spoils of the upgrade. You want things that you didn't work for. You want it easier. You want it like you've seen on other forums. ATS is above other forums, that is what makes ATS unique, IMO.

Forgive me for the rant, but it seems that some do nothing but complain everytime there is a change on this forum. You all have a right to your opinion, but how about thanking the admin, praising them for a job well done, and feel thankful that there is a place on the internet to Deny Ignorance?

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Slow down and take a deep breath. We are communicating about something's, apart of many things, I have still to learn about this channel.

Not sure if you noticed, but there a few fires burning under member's bottoms and the way to put them out is through discussion I think.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
Not sure if you noticed, but there a few fires burning under member's bottoms and the way to put them out is through discussion I think.
Dallas

*has taken a deep breath and knows where Dallas is coming from.

3 months ago I would have agreed with you. We cured the problem with a democratic process. We voted in the council. They have made their suggestions. It doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with the council. They won with a popular vote.

Then we had another vote, using points regarding this change. Those longtime, prolific posters that are active here supported this change. Again, since I'm not a prolific poster, I didn't have the points to spare, and that's fine. I'm busy, have a life and help run two other sites. I've never seen a site as democratic and open minded as ATS, so I have the utmost respect for ATS.

It seems to me that the moment a change is made, someone starts a thread screaming "I don't like this." Did this person vote in the election for council? Does this person post on a regular basis? Is this a seasoned member that has been with ATS for more than a few months? I'm not saying this person doesn't deserve to voice an opinion. I'm saying that the person complaining about the change does not know all of the facts.

Further, this change was no suprise. It was posted in a thread, I got a PM, there was proper notification.

So we debate this after it is a done deal? It doesn't make sense to me. The time to rant was long ago, IMO. Now is the time to be thankful that you have a place to post and Deny Ignorance and assimilate.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I think the problem lies with the fact that the changes that we now endeavor to understand occurred incrementally and that they were promulgated in various posts and some of us failed to connect all the dots in a timely fashion.

I think when the hysteria dies out, most will be hard pressed to find fault with the new system or perhaps even remember when it was any different.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I think the problem lies with the fact that the changes that we now endeavor to understand occurred incrementally and that they were promulgated in various posts and some of us failed to connect all the dots in a timely fashion.

I disagree, Grady. It was right there for everyone to see. I saw it, I knew the changes would occur, I was given proper notice. Anyone coming to this site regularly would have seen it.

I think when the hysteria dies out, most will be hard pressed to find fault with the new system or perhaps even remember when it was any different.

I agree Grady. Again, I apologize for the rant. But I grow tired of people that don't post or are not long time members coming in and ranting about change that they didn't bother to vote or research.

You want to get a membership to Rats... then submit news articles on ATNN.

You want to get a cool background or extra upload, then start submitting to ATS.

You want to change ATS, run for council in the next election.

You want to voice your opinion, please stay up to date on ATS. Visit it more than once a month before posting your rants about change. It was spelled out in simple language.

ATS is one of the few sites on the internet that makes you work for the privileges and makes me respect it everytime I visit.

But don't come in here ranting at SO, the ADMIN, the mods or the council because you failed to read and keep up to date. Thank your lucky stars that they cared enough to spend the time that they did to upgrade the site and allow us to continue to deny ignorance.

*takes another breath and ends rant.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
This thread was not created to complain about the new points system.

As Asala, Dallas and others have pointed out, this is a recent change and we will all get used to it. This board is great and if we didnt have change it wouldnt be what it is today. I am not suggesting we revert back to the old system either (and to let people who didnt read the other thread know, our existing points were divided by the total posting ratio, which is why you have PTS points even if you didnt post in PTS).

The only flaw that I see to such a system is that there is really no way for someone to vote against a change except not to "pay up." At any rate, it's cool with me.

THIS was my suggestion. Give members a chance to vote against things, instead of only being able to not give points for future changes.

---Pineapple

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Multiple threads later, I have yet to a satisfactory answer or even a decent attempt at why this point redistribution was necessary.

Why exactly do I care to know that I have 2313 points in PTS when I doubt I have knowingly posted to that forum more than twice? And why do I care what points are where if I am to purchase an around the world trip from the ATS store when points from all three sources carry equal weight?

The financial disclosure is like expecting truth in politics.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I just don't care.
After going to the store and seeing that I had the same point total that I could spend, it just seems that this became a "non issue".

If I see you have more points in one area than the other, I'm not going to think different about the person for that. If you have more or less than me, it won't change my opinion of you.

I spend a lot of time reading what other people have to say and only respond when I feel the need. Sure, it's not the best way to gather points, but I just don't care...

I hung out on ATS for a long time as a lurker and became a member as a last resort to get rid of all the ads and pop-ups.
So, to hell with the points, I come here for more than that....................

ATS Rules The Boards, And This Community Rocks........

Go Mods..............

I just got 1 point for this blather

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SomewhereinBetween
Multiple threads later, I have yet to a satisfactory answer or even a decent attempt at why this point redistribution was necessary.

I think that if you read this thread and follow all the links that you will understand what all the hoopla is all about. It really is much ado about nothing. It ain't gonna change anytime soon, so you might as well go along with it.

2+2+2=6
1+4+1=6
2+1+3=6
etc.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I will be putting up a shrine to GradyPhilpott.

He has more points and will be considered a GOD from now on.........

Edit To Add: That's 2 more points for pineappleupsidedown for starting the thread.

[edit on 15-8-2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I will be putting up a shrine to GradyPhilpott.

He has more points and will be considered a GOD from now on.........

I think your man...ah...God is really FredT. Fred hab all da points.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
You were the one with the most points above my post.

YOU WILL BE GOD........ Like it or not.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
So, to hell with the points, I come here for more than that....................[\quote]

Yes, I did too. Let's hope that this thread gets through to the members. Quit complaining everytime a change is made. Be grateful or Be quiet. You had your chance. Your chance to complain has expired IMO.

ATS Rules The Boards, And This Community Rocks........

It sure does. I'm sure the changes were not w/o a monetary or time/expertise price. Lets be grateful instead of greedy.

[edit on 16-8-2005 by sosuemetoo]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join