It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Microsoft Prepares To Release IE7

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Microsoft is preparing to release it's new browser Internet Explorer 7 which is projected to catch up with rival browsers like Firefox. Tabbed browsing and the search box, which have been an integrated part of Firefox and Opera will be introduced with the new Microsoft version of IE7, taking the need for downloading third party toolbars like google out of the equation. Many new security features are included in the new browser.

www.cnn.com
In addition, all browser windows now contain the site's address. In the past, Web designers could hide that information by creating a pop-up window that lacks an address bar. When they try that on IE 7, the browser still displays the domain name.

IE 7 also displays a padlock up top -- before, it was less visible at the bottom -- when you visit secure, encrypted sites. You can click on the padlock for a pop-up window with details about who's behind the site.

The browser adds a feature for instantly deleting private data -- "cookie" files, browsing history, passwords and the like -- though the tool doesn't offer as much flexibility as Opera's in choosing which data to toss. Again, this all may be better by the final release.

IE 7 requires Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and should be available in final form by early next year. It will also come packaged with the forthcoming Windows Vista operating system, due late next year.

The early incarnation of IE 7 doesn't offer much beyond what you could get from others, but it provides enough of a foundation on which to build innovations that could one day make IE the browser of choice -- not just one of convenience because it happens to come free with Windows.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its about time. Mircosoft has really dropped the ball as far as web browsing goes over the past few years. It seems that they are starting to listen to what their clients want in a web browser after losing 10 percent or more of the market share to the rival companies. Many advanced users have turned to firefox and opera in their search for an easier and more advanced web browser and it will be interesting to see if Microsoft can take back those users or whether firefox and opera will jump ahead again in their next browser releases.

[edit on 14-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
This is definitely worth the price of admission.

IE 7 also has a shrink-to-fit print feature. Think of all the paper wasted on printouts of Web sites where margins get cut off. IE 7 simply makes the entire page smaller so the site fits across the width of the paper. The browser also invokes the feature when a printout would otherwise use only one or two lines of a second page.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Im sticking with Firefox thank you very much. Although I might download it just to check it out.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I have no plans to go back to IE. Why would I want to switch to another program to get features that I already have with Firefox?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by elderban
I have no plans to go back to IE. Why would I want to switch to another program to get features that I already have with Firefox?

Exactly. After I first started using Firefox, I couldn't believe the difference and how much better it is. No way am I going back to IE.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I'm not sure why but I stopped using firefox and started using Maxthon.

Maxthon looks a lot like IE (it uses the IE engine) except that it has tabbed browsing. It's the closest thing you can get to IE7 atm. (except the beta of course)

Now I get tabbed browsing AND activex support. (with an easy to find option to turn it off to prevent malicious stuff)

FireFox is my second favorite (was my top fav until I found maxthon)

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I prefer firefox, I'm adapted to it now and I have no intentions of going back to IE. Firefox just seems more modern.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Iv been using Firefox since it was Phoenix, and have no plans of going back to IE. Hell, I barely use Windows at all anymore except for gaming. Firefox had everything IE7 has now, earlier. Firefox 1.5 (due in September; 1.1 was renumbered) will make it easier to update itself, so instead of having to download it again and reinstall, itll download everything and perform the updates itself. This will make it easier for network administrators who are accustomed to IE(and windows in general)'s upgrade system, to use Firefox and not have to go around to every copmuter and upgrade them.

[edit on 8-14-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I have heard some good things about it, but it is Microsoft, so I won't hold my breath. Hopefully this one won't be filled with holes.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
''Is our new software ready''

''yes sir and its full of bugs like you asked, customers will have to purchase our upgrades for years''

''outstanding!''

(elliot carver: tomorrow never dies.)

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
You people ever use Netscape? i think netscape is easier to use than firefox.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I hate firefox and IE, I prefer my Avant.

df1

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I use both firefox and IE6 and I will be switching to IE7. I am no fan of MS. The only reason I will switch is that certain business websites I require do not work while using browsers other than IE and I see no value to me in using different browsers.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1The only reason I will switch is that certain business websites I require do not work while using browsers other than IE and I see no value to me in using different browsers.
Do you do spyware scans?
I only use IE to use windows update, if a site doesnt work with Firefox, I dont use it.

df1

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
Do you do spyware scans?

Yes, I do spyware scans for whatever that has to do with the price of tea china.

if a site doesnt work with Firefox, I dont use it...

That makes no sense at all. It is the equivalent of only using products put together with straight head screws and refusing to use products put together with philips head screws.

Repeat after me, a browser is just a tool... a browser is just a tool... a browser is just a tool...

I only use IE to use windows update...

If you dislike MS or Bill Gates why dont you just run Linux?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
what is your problem?

He is simply saying that his tool of choice is firefox because at the moment it doesnt expose the security threats that IE does (hence the spyware question)

He is forced to use IE in order to update Windows.

[edit on 17-8-2005 by Thatoneguy]

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Amazing, and this was almost a year ago. No 7.

new topics

top topics

join