It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dianostic Statistical Manual V

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The American Psychiatric Association is revising the DSM, CNN reported according to the revision 46% of all Americans will have a serious mental illness. My report states B.S.!!! They are increasing and expanding the sub-catagories to make more people look insane when they actually aren't.

The motivation behind this is; Scientology is right on alot of their stances against drugs to curb behavioral and Emotional disorders. With Hollywood and the media pushing this, the APA has to counter this by dubbing more people insane or mentally ill.

The numbers went from 1 in 8, to 1 in 5, to 1 in 3. NOW Half!?!?!?!? (This is in the last Ten years).

I tell you whom is Insane! It's the APA!!

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
On the other hand...

Having a "legitimate" complaint will enable many people to get treatment that they're currently denied, and benefits relating to the same thing.

Sometimes a thing isn't all good or bad.

I can see many victims who can't work (for whatever psychological reasons) actually being able to obtain much-needed medical and financial help that they currently can't access for lack of "legitimate diagnosis".

How does the conspiracy theory stand up against the use of drugs outside of the US? You can't really blame Hollywood for people taking anti-depressants in France and/or India, for example. Whilst it's absolutely true that too many of us seek out drugs as a first resort when they should be the last resort, it doesn't mean such drugs are inherently bad, wrong or useless. On the contrary.

And though it might seem a minor point, please don't confuse "insane" (which is generally used as a legal term) with "depressed" or "psychological condition" - these terms are not interchangeable.

(Fwiw, these manuals are updated regularly - this shouldn't be a surprise, as the DSM IV was published in 1994, and V isn't actually due till at least 2007)

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Godzilla1985
The American Psychiatric Association is revising the DSM, CNN reported according to the revision 46% of all Americans will have a serious mental illness. My report states B.S.!!!

How are you defining "serious mental illness"? Is, say, suicidal feelings that last for a period of a year or so and then go away a "serious mental illness" to you? It is to the people who have it and it is to the APA.

What about night terrors? A lot of us have them and the APA classifies them as "serioius, but something that can be fixed with meds/counseling." Maybe you scoff it off, but if you'd ever been awakened by them 2-5 times per week for a period of 10 years, you might think it was serious.

They are increasing and expanding the sub-catagories to make more people look insane when they actually aren't.

I think you're confusing "serious mental illness" with "insane." They're not the same thing. A person can have a low IQ or have Aspergers -- but they're not psychotic. I have a nephew (toddler) who's autistic -- he's classified in this same category in DSMV -- but no, he's not insane.

Are you saying you think this baby's insane? The DSMV doesn't label him as insane.

The motivation behind this is; Scientology is right on alot of their stances against drugs to curb behavioral and Emotional disorders.

The only thing I've seen Scientology cure is "money in your bank account." And if you've seen Tom Cruise and heard all his weirdly disjointed ramblings lately, I'm surprised you haven't gotten suspicious of the whole thing. The man sounds like he has some serious problems -- really.

So, anyway, what do YOU think it's all about? Are you seriously convinced that anyone with depression/anxiety/autism/etc can be cured by Scientology and don't need any other help?

join