It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BOINC is the worst program I have ever used

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

Originally posted by Overseer
I don't see any reason why it should be any different. That's the whole point isn't it. Your computer doesn't do nothing and while that is so and if you wish to occupy it, you install a software that uses ALL available CPU power to do something useful.

My car is capable of going over 100 miles per hour, that doesn't mean I want to push the accelerator to the floor every single time I pull out of my driveway. Just as I refuse to drive my car at full capacity I also refuse to constantly run my CPU at full capacity. Thats asking for a break down.

Wupy

a cpu runs all the time the second your computer till you turn it off. when your told your cpu is at 100 percent it means that it is completly busy not going 100 or is running at redline. a cpu stays at a current temp it might rise a lil and fall a little. ive had my self built computer own for 2 months straight then i have to restart for those darn xp updates. maybe a generic computer ie example a emachine will break down if you never turn it off but thats a generic cpu. theres nothing mechanical in a cpu its not going to break down i think you got it confused you have to change the oil in your car not cpu. if you have a cheap car and cheap car parts then yeah i would not floor it ever. every cpu has a constant voltage if your not running anything the voltage is constant. if your runing everything at once the voltage will be nearly the same why because the cpu has a maximun voltage and minimun. Server cpus generate more heat because they have more transistors and a higher voltage not because there cpu is running at 100%. memory can run at 100 percent do you think its going to break also ? if your so afraid of heat but a more efficient heat dissipator.

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
yeah i used the old version for a while without problems

now since i've sarted using boinc the system hangs everytime the screensaver comes on and if i leave it running with the screensaver off, the laptop becomes very hot (even if no other programs are running) processor seems to be running at 100% all the time

sys is a p4 2.8 ghz with 512 ram. never had problems with the old version running all the time and dont have problems playing games with high graphics

like some others mentioned the connection to the server is also pretty bad. lots of problems when its trying to update itself

hope the guys there sort it out cause i am gonna uninstall it if it stays this way.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Boinc is the WORST thing to happen to the SETI project !! I have non-stop problems with it, the servers are always down, work units never load, stats never update....etc.....

I constantly argue wtih the Boinc staff about how bad Boinc stinks....and of course they provide NO help.

they should just shut it down....sometimes I wonder if Microsoft wrote the software....it has so many bugs its just like Windows ME !!

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
65,000 hours under Seti@home, no more.

I agree, it can't be good for a systems to be running at max, if only for the thermal issues.

Final straw was watching the word "Boinc" bouncing around on my laptops screen.

Just looked stupid.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I currently have Boinc set up on my machine at work as well as my home machine. Running Seti, LHC and Einstein.

I have to agree, setting it up was a P.I.T.A.

But I haven't had any problems with it once I got it set up correctly.

Though I really did like the old Seti@home....

-DT

posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by alex1981
YES i agree with you it is a VERY BAD program and the name is # !!!! but fear not you CAN STILL have the old version of SETI@HOME program if you SEND me a Email i can send you the old Version of SETI@HOME in a zip folder and you can carry on with the old one with NO problems

Send a Email to -
[email protected]

!!I CAN SAY 100% I WILL NOY SEND YOU ANY SORT OF VIRUS OR SPY WEAR!!

I really dont know what they thought they were doing with this new version of SETI@HOME it is SO bad and it has a VERY bad name !!!!!

If someone said to you "Boinc" you would not know what they were talking about, but if they said SETI@HOME you would know !!!!

Lataz Alex Barton

[edit on 22/01/2005 by alex1981]

WRONG E-MAIL ADDRESS I HAVE CHANGED IT TO

[email protected]

if you want the old program just email me as I said in the last post.

Lataz

Alex (alex1981)

posted on Aug, 18 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I was about to download the prog, and then discovered that BOINC wasn't the way to go. Ok, now looking for what to download to be part of it. Would someone please respond or u2u me with what to do? (posted this before on different threads and never got a response that I saw)

posted on May, 14 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Hi all,

Just got my PC back after the processor blew up back i ndecember. I now have a nice new AMD X2 4200 and Just downloaded BONIC...

I have set it to only use 60% of the CPU time - whatever that means. Its not doing anything now, for some reason but I do have it set on 'Work when computer is is use' as I don't do anything that needs all the CPU power or RAM space. I'm still not sure if I should have it as only working when the PC has been idle for x amount of minutes...

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Try again as it is now very user friendly and configurable.

Regards,
Graeme of Boinc UK.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
I haven't had any problems with HD space. I have it running on 2 PC's and this on this one it only used 3.9MB. My only complaint is that sometimes it uses more CPU resources than I'd like and it slows down my PC. Most of the time I don't even notice it is running.

Agreed. I actually removed SETI@home completely because it would always suck up 100% of my CPU even though I set it to use no more than 50%.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I'm runing boinc on windoqws and linux.

On windows you can limit the CPU usage. I prefer 60% or 70%, but then again you may want it lower (I am using a dual core on my windows machine)

On my linux server you can download cpulimit via (sudo apt-get install cpulimit). With this you can limit any program or process by its process id to any cpu usage you desire (within 0-100%). I setup a little sript which uses 'screen' to open a new screen and perform the cpulimit command since you will have to have an open ssh window open all the time for it to stay alive, which sucks. To download screen, do this (sudo apt-get install screen).

Then in your home directory do this...

sudo nano boinc-limit.sh

This will open a blank file for you to edit. Put this line into the file...

screen -m -d -S "boinc-client" cpulimit -l 50 -p

then do CTRL+O to save it, then CTRL+X to close it.

NOTE: Make sure you replace the with the actual pid of the process. e.g. Run htop in your terminal and it should show you a list of processes. SETI or any other project should be at the top. To the left along that line you should see the number at the very beginning. This is it's PID.

Once saved run the file by doing.. sudo sh boinc-limit.sh

and then to get out of the screen, do this... CTRL+A+D (Hold down CTRL, hit the A button, then let go and hit the D button.)

Hope it helps anyone

top topics

<< 1   >>

join