It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BOINC is the worst program I have ever used

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I installed BOINC the other day, and when I came back a few hours later to check its progress it had already eaten up 40 gigabytes of my HDD...SETI@home 3.08 never did that to my computer...I'm never using Boinc again...

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I agree with you. In my case I couldn't get it to even do anything, and there is no help readily available. I have de-installed it, and am disappointed my name will not go down in history.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
40 gigabytes OMG, thanks for the heads-up...

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well anyway, I found out how to change the settings and changed it to use maximum 0.5Gb of my HDD. When I started BOINC again, it gave me a message that my limit was too small, at least 28956MB was needed..

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Boinc or Seti Boinc. They both work fine and have for some time. Boinc is the generic distributed client and seti boinc is the seti code. Load with the defaults and check the forums and all should be well. Now, the seti servers go up and down like a yo yo but that is a different story....

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Have to agree about boinc being a total POJ (piece of junk). I went back to using the original and it still seems to be working fine.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I ran SETI@Home for over 2 years with no trouble at all. It was when I shifted over to the Boinc program that I started pulling my hair out.

I know my way around a computer fairly well, but this program just had me baffled. It is now removed from my system, and good ridence.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I haven't had any problems with HD space. I have it running on 2 PC's and this on this one it only used 3.9MB. My only complaint is that sometimes it uses more CPU resources than I'd like and it slows down my PC. Most of the time I don't even notice it is running.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
YES i agree with you it is a VERY BAD program and the name is # !!!! but fear not you CAN STILL have the old version of SETI@HOME program if you SEND me a Email i can send you the old Version of SETI@HOME in a zip folder and you can carry on with the old one with NO problems

Send a Email to -
[email protected]

!!I CAN SAY 100% I WILL NOY SEND YOU ANY SORT OF VIRUS OR SPY WEAR!!

I really dont know what they thought they were doing with this new version of SETI@HOME it is SO bad and it has a VERY bad name !!!!!

If someone said to you "Boinc" you would not know what they were talking about, but if they said SETI@HOME you would know !!!!

Lataz Alex Barton

[edit on 22/01/2005 by alex1981]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I've used BOINC now for several weeks and even though I think I did prefer the SETI CMD client with SETIhide, it's not bad bad. I mean it contains the graphical diplay, screensaver if you like it and basically it's important for me to help out rather than have a fancy program.

I've never had any trouble so far and it's been working really well for me. No use-up of space, no overuse of the CPU. I've got it running on four PCs now. Windows 2K and XP, two of them are laptops and it's fine and does its job.

I think it's just a matter of personal preference.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
i downloaded BOINC and my computer exploded and now i have third degree burns.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I've been running SETI for awhile now with few problems until recently. I noticed that my CPU usage is at a constant 100%. I turn SETI off and my usage drops to one or two percent.

I've done 243 units and i'm happy to have done so. I won't be doing anymore. A constant 100% usage on the CPU can't be good for any machine.

Maybe if they find a way to limit the CPU usage i'll come back. Not before then.

Wupy

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I don't see any reason why it should be any different. That's the whole point isn't it. Your computer doesn't do nothing and while that is so and if you wish to occupy it, you install a software that uses ALL available CPU power to do something useful.

If the cooling is sufficient it shouldn't harm your CPU at all. I've run SETI before 2002 then stopped for a while due to a computer related problem and then since 2002 I pretty much run it constantly and on the same system. Never had any problem.

I mean either you want to use you CPU to do something or you do not.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I agree BOINC is crap. I installed it on my computer and it seemed to be going fine until it wouldn't return the results even after a week of trying...so i unstalled it. Just as well i kept the old SETI installed (i don't think you're supposed to) because its its still working great. Anyway why did they move SETI to BOINC after all "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Overseer
I don't see any reason why it should be any different. That's the whole point isn't it. Your computer doesn't do nothing and while that is so and if you wish to occupy it, you install a software that uses ALL available CPU power to do something useful.

My car is capable of going over 100 miles per hour, that doesn't mean I want to push the accelerator to the floor every single time I pull out of my driveway. Just as I refuse to drive my car at full capacity I also refuse to constantly run my CPU at full capacity. Thats asking for a break down.

Wupy

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Neew World Leader: I agree to the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" statement. I don't fully understand the change over, apart from the integration of many projects into one management software.

I've had the problem, too, that BOINC has connection issues, but if you read the website, they've had problems with outages, upgrades, maintenance, the lot. I suppose the swap to BOINC did cause them a fair few problems, too.

mrwupy: Fair enough. I fully understand your point. All I was saying is that as far as I've noticed over the past so many years, it has never been any different. SETI@Home was never that scaleable - at least I haven't found a setting that allows you to set how much of the processor power you wish to use. It's definately not just a BOINC issue. If I'm wrong, correct me.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
i have run stuff on my computer for years at 100 percent. i used seti at home for over 3700+ hours constant at 100 % cpu. and i restart my computer usually once or twice a month i have run my computer straight for 40 days once not a single restart.

i have backup ups so power flicks wont bother it. i play games and run seti when im not playing and i have never had a single problem with my computer.

i got a p4 3.2ghz running at 3.5ghz.

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
You shouldn't get a problem either, providing the cooling is good enough. At the end of the day, that's what a computer is there for. That's the point of programs that calculate stuff while you're idle.

If you're one of those who keep their computer running (me included), then I just as well have it doing things while it's idle rather than just "waste" energy for the hell of it.

And yeah, I've done that same. 6 weeks uptime in one go was my record on a Windows system. Reboot there only after updates.

xn

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Just have BOINC use 1 or 2GB. Problem solved. I've used BOINC for many months with no problems.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
As it was mentioned. There are add-ons available already for BOINC and I've looked around.

If anyone is scared it might damage the CPU, try this: www.boinc.dk...

It's a thread manager to control the max CPU usage. At least so it says. I haven't tested it myself.

Found at the source: setiathome.berkeley.edu...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join