It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: US Forces Hit Back - Troops Begin Offensive In Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Hundreds of US Marines working with Afghan forces have launched a projected two week offensive in Afghanistan to retake a remote mountain valley. The valley is controlled by insurgents believed responsible for the attacks which bought down a US navy seal helicopter with 16 crew members who were sent to rescue soldiers killed in an ambush by the same insurgents. The timing of this offensive is crucial with one of the troops aim to keep the insurgents away from polling booths in the region.

ne ws.yahoo.com
American and Afghan forces hiked into the rugged mountains Friday and Saturday, many leading lines of donkeys laden with food and water. A-10 attack planes circled high above.

The operation was expected to last at least two weeks, Moshane said.

One of the main objectives is breaking up a network of militants led by a local Taliban officer, Ahmad Shah, also known as Ismail, who claimed responsibility for the June 28 attacks, said Kirimat Tanhah, a commander in the U.S.-trained and financed Afghan Special Forces.

Shah is suspected of having ties to al-Qaida militants in Pakistan, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Meanwhile the villager who rescued the only survivor of the Ambush is in hiding after sheltering the us troop and returning him to the US forces. The villagers unwritten law and culture is to give shelter and protection of anyone who needs it.

I really feel for the man who carried out his customs only to be treated in such a poor way by his fellow society. His wife and children are safe but for carrying out this act of kindness this man is in hiding and suffering and possibly faces death if he returns.

[edit on 13-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I gave this a "YES" vote.....but barely. I beleive part of the criteria for an ATSNN submission is for the author to give his/her opinion on the story/article, which was not done in this case. I gave you the benefit of doubt....just in case im wrong

The Marine's doctrine on warfare is based on what's called Maneuver Warfare....which was developed by the Marines. Pretty much at key times during a battle/war they use quick decisive attacks on key targets, the aim is to knock out the enemies command and control, break down morale, go on a head hunt, etc..etc...

new topics

join