It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USA owes Canada 5+ Billion Dollars.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I agree with you on the "east" bit, I just say east in general.

If any part of Canada were to ever seperate, I would hope they do not join the united states.

I just want to bring up one thing for debate:

Who needs who more?

Does Canada rely on the United States more?
Do the United States rely on Canada more?

Im talking only between the two countries.

For one thing, look at the sheer amount of resources Canada has. You name it, we have it. And usually lots of it. Oil, water, timber, enough to sustain ourselves and export.

Now the United States also has alot of resources, dont get me wrong, but can they sustain themselves and make enough money to keep up that economy?

Whats the worst thing that could happen if the states stopped buying Canadian products? We would lose a trading parter, but still have the product.

The scenario has happened already with cattle. We made it through, and we can always expand other markets.

So when we look at the other side, what would happen to the americans?

What happens when your largest source of imports says too bad?

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I hear yah. When it comes to Cattle hassles, well I hope Martin will shine in looking to reduce availabilty to the USA through increased Marketing elsewhere.

There is a serious problem with Cattle all over the place, it takes years. But by announcing a problem in or from Canada, Canada get's cut off. I'll you all the USA should save the heads an send then for INDEPENDENT analysis and then see the shock go around the Nation.

There really is, in my opinion, a cover-up happening and it aint in Cda.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
To Dallas:

I live in Saskatchewan, in the center of Canada. It only takes a glance to see how we are treated.

The government pumps out massive loads of cash to its citizens (toronto etc, the big cities) because it knows that they are the key to winning the elections. They could care less about the areas with less population, even though we have the resources.

There is a reason why the population of my province has not grown in 100 years. (yes it has stayed basically the same) and no its not because the scenery sucks.

And if you need an example:

During 2000, $7 million was spent on Canada Day celebrations across the country by the federal government - $5 million in Quebec alone. Moreover, in 1998/99, the federal government spent $29 million in Quebec on events and groups promoting Canada's federation, while only allocating $1.3 million to similar activities in Western Canada.

It should make sense now.

source

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I farmed in 'Meadsted' Sask for a couple years. It's outside of North Battleford. Suppose Ontario is the Manufacturing capital of Canada and it had attracted a lot of both Easterners and Westerners.

But then NAFTA came along (Mulroney), work went South of the 49th, then Mexico, then China.
In my opinion Ontario deals with Canadian Consumer needs now (Importing) and textiles. Manufacturing is a thing of the past.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

I farmed in 'Meadsted' Sask for a couple years. It's outside of North Battleford. Suppose Ontario is the Manufacturing capital of Canada and it had attracted a lot of both Easterners and Westerners.

Dallas

Attracted? I don't see it that way. I see it as forced to live there or don't make a decent living. Yes, I'm in Ontario and I hate this land locked existance.

No change coming in the near future as long as regional parties are allowed to run for national office. Do you think the PQ could EVER get a seat outside of Quebec? So why should it be allowed to run on a national level. I'm not blasting Quebecers but someone, tell me the relevence here. I don't see it.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

No change coming in the near future as long as regional parties are allowed to run for national office. Do you think the PQ could EVER get a seat outside of Quebec? So why should it be allowed to run on a national level. I'm not blasting Quebecers but someone, tell me the relevence here. I don't see it.

But could we form some kind of western canada alliance?

Saskatchewan has had a history of corrupt government. Our current government isnt much better. I think our premier only makes Jesus happy....

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Guys, Canada can't shut the door to the US. Sure, we're their largest importer, but they're even more so OUR largest importer (we've had a significant trade surplus with the US since WWII). While it's true that Canada has the natural resources to simply close up the borders to everyone and become a self sufficient isolationist nation, it's not in our interests to do so. We enjoy the standard of living that we have (the best in the world for 10 years straight, with one hiccup (2nd) in 2004) because of our relationships with other nations.

If we cut out NAFTA we put the US and Canada into a recession. We'll never be able to compete on the world level. Other regions (Europe as an example) also have new free traed agreements and we wouldn't be able to compete. NAFTA hurt some regions in both Canada and the US, but overall it's improved trade for all 3 of us (especially Mexico). Does it tick me off that the US constantly craps where they sleep when it comes to relations with Canada? Yes, it does. But remember: they have the right to keep and bear arms, while we have the right to keep and arm bears. One day our bears will rule them all.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Else, perhap's Canada should release itself from the agreement.

That's what I'm hoping will happen. I could care less about the money, I just hope this situation leads to the demise of NAFTA as that will penalize the US more then 5 Billion dollars.

[edit on 13-8-2005 by sardion2000]

im pretty sure the demise of NAFTA would be a good thing in the long run , for all parties involved. Theres nothing to say that the US and Canada cant keep trading. nafta moves jobs overseas => less american output => currency goes down => inflation, deficit ^^, > exports ^.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I'm surprised that our American govt. has not written it off or just simply forgive it as they have done in the recent past. We would not want to deviate from our predictable behavior now would we?

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
Else, perhap's Canada should release itself from the agreement.

Oh that would be a happy day! But the US won't let things go that far...too much at stake: oil and water to name but two. I say our chain has been yanked (no pun intended) for too long.

Canadians have been duped!

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
why not take the money and feed the STARVING people of the world.......?

If' w'r so great in the West why not act it
.......feed and save people in the world......simple....but no.......we worry that the teachers and army should get the money...OMG.....and we live in a sociaty that BOASTS so much on how great we are......DONT" THINK SO....we just keep going wreaking our planet and stealing from the poor nations....

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by svenglezz
why not take the money and feed the STARVING people of the world.......?

If' w'r so great in the West why not act it
.......feed and save people in the world......simple....but no.......we worry that the teachers and army should get the money...OMG.....and we live in a sociaty that BOASTS so much on how great we are......DONT" THINK SO....we just keep going wreaking our planet and stealing from the poor nations....

Y'r Canadian friend,
Sven

Why dont we just give Canada to the corrupt governments that dont teach their citizens agriculture practices?

Donating money will not solve anything with that issue.

Give them nothing but knowledge.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I just hope this situation leads to the demise of NAFTA as that
will penalize the US more then 5 Billion dollars.

Everyone wants to stick it to America. Jealousy is an interesting
thing. You hate that which you want but cannot attain.

Sardion, you'd miss us if we were gone. A HUGE vacuum in
Canada's defense would ensue and your appeasement style
government would welcome the terrorists with open arms.
Canadian beer, and worse yet - NHL HOCKEY, would cease to exhist,
as well as Canada as you know it.

Having America on your Southern border is a massive protection
that you enjoy without paying for.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Jack Layton (NDP leader) was on the news yesterday and proposed that we (Canada) add a surcharge on gas and oil exported to the USA. Good idea we should also put a surcharge on electricity. And no we don't really need the USA defenses. Everyone loves Canada. Just imagine what would happen if we cut the power off for outstanding balance owed. I know my power would be cut off after a month of non payment. The whole grid would fail. What would the USA be like without electricity?

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Yeah I’m sure that’s the best way to solve this, threaten to cut off the power suply to the US.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I just hope this situation leads to the demise of NAFTA as that
will penalize the US more then 5 Billion dollars.

Everyone wants to stick it to America. Jealousy is an interesting
thing.

Yikes you right-wingers like to throw around the word "hate" allot.
Who ever said I wanted you guys to4 away we just are getting tired of being treated like a bitch. NAFTA May have created allot of joe jobs to prime our economy and let you rape our naturally born businesses(and resources), but allot of people up here wish things were back to the way they were in the 70s and 80s. It was actually easy to find a good job back then. Now? Forget about it. You think those of us who wan't NAFTA's demise hate America, well you're dead wrong, we just hate unfettered Capitolism. I cannot hate my own relatives now can I

You hate that which you want but cannot attain.

Only people with small penises would think like that... meaning I'm not a power-hungry sunofabitch like most people online these days.

People who live in the US who talk like they know what Canada is really like and is really thinking, usually makes him/herself look foolish to those Canadian's they keep trying to intimidate to get what they want. Eventually those people are just going to get fed up and start slapping punitive tarrifs on everything.

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Yeah I’m sure that’s the best way to solve this, threaten to cut off the power suply to the US.

That won't happen as SouthEast asia is set to eclipse US demand by 2010. Without NAFTA ,Canada will make even more money to pump into the Local Economy. We got allot a crappy Oil and the Worlds largest reserve of Fresh Water. If we play our cards right we can still have protection and lots of friendly trading partners just like Saudi Arabia does now

[edit on 15-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
That sounds nice... "The large America har been brought down to it's feet by Canada"!!! Good, I like the canadians, just like I love the Aussies...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
That sounds really nice... "The great empire of America has been brought down to it's feet by the tiny country of Canada"...
No, seriously, it's cool... Didn't know that America owed money... I just love the Canadians, just like I love the Aussies...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Geez, double post...

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
*Predicts an American will either pipe into this thread that they would take us over if we did that or that we need them for defence*

Aaaaaaaaaaand you called it. Excuses to get out of paying your bills, eh? Both excuses on this page. Man, worse than the deadbeat parents. PAY YOUR BILLS! It's not like we're being unreasonable. Just play by the rules.

DE

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join