It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Sri Lankan Foreign Minister Shot Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The Sri Lankan Foreign Minister, Lakshman Kadirgamar, was shot to death as he returned home. The minister, a Tamil, opposed the creation of a separate state for the Tamil people. Kadirgamar lead an international campaign to ban the Tamil tigers as an terrorist organisation. No group has claimed responsibilty for the shooting.

news.yahoo.com
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - Sri Lanka's foreign minister, an ethnic Tamil who opposed rebels seeking a separatist state for the minority, was shot to death Friday as he was returning home after a swim.

Foreign Minister Lakshman Kadirgamar, 73, who was a close presidential aide, died after being taken to a hospital for emergency surgery after being shot in the head, said Inspector General of Police Chandra Fernando said.

President Chandrika Kumaratunga had rushed to the hospital after the shooting and the military closed the road leading to the facility.

Fernando said the foreign minister was returning to his home in the diplomatic district of the capital after a swim when he was shot.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is very sad to hear. That the Sri Lankan government included moderate Tamils was encouraging. The inclusion was aimed at ending the bloody civil war that has been raging for decades.

I would be interested to hear how the Indians react to this news.

[edit on 12/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
CNN is reporting that rebels are suspected.

Tamil Tiger rebels suspected

The same rebels also are suspected of shooting a husband and wife

Suspected rebels gun down Sri Lankan broadcaster, husband

Does not look good considering the two happened on the very same day.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Sri Lanka has declared a state of emergency followin this assassination.
Sri Lanka Declares State of Emergency

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I made a thread about the Sri Lankan state of emergency here:

State Of Emergency Declared In Sri Lanka

[edit on 2005/8/13 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Thats not ATSNN, duplicate threads are allowed between ATS and ATSNN Helmutt.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
and the Tamil Tigers....I think that name is so cute.... bit like a footy team...have denied any responsibility in the attack, telling the government to turn within to look for the people resonsible.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I know that subz. And I didn´t say this one was a repeat either. This is a very serious situation, and this is Top story in other media. Isn´t it about time this one gets voted into ATSNN? I voted Yes. Come on people. Vote!

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Yeah I've voted there is a couple that should be voted up that have been sitting there for quite a while now, even a few days.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
I posted this story when it was 5 minutes old on Yahoo news.

I know you didnt mean it was a repeat Helmutt but im getting No: Repeat votes because you posted that link.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Interesting detail: Yesterday CNN and BBC both claimed thru sources that the assasination was executed by a long-range sniper. The funny thing was when they showed the empty casses found they were clearly of a low caliber firearm (something as 9mm).

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well, as an Indian not residing in India, I can tell you quite frankly that I could care very little, as of now. It's an interesting scenerio we have here, and I'm ignorant in regards to the history of the Tamil Tigers and thier motifs.

Luxifero

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luxifero
Well, as an Indian not residing in India, I can tell you quite frankly that I could care very little, as of now. It's an interesting scenerio we have here, and I'm ignorant in regards to the history of the Tamil Tigers and thier motifs.

Well my mention of the Indians was due to their large entanglement in the Sri Lankan civil war in the 80's and 90's. If the ceasefire is to break it could result in a renewed clash in Sri Lanka. Would India sit idle and allow Tamil's to be killed again? Would Tamil Nadu let the Indian government sit idle and allow it?

[edit on 13/8/05 by subz]

top topics

join