It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mysterious Marine Wildlife Deaths.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Scientists and Doctors aren't sure if the deaths of about 20 turtles that have washed ashore in Pinelas County, Florida have anything to do with intoxication from red tide. What it is known for certain is that not a single sign of life is detected from Sarasota to Tarpon Springs and up to 20 miles off shore. All forms of life in this are all dead. Residents of Pinellas County are also complaining of a strange awefull odor resembling propane coming from the gulf.

www.baynews9.com
"Right now, anywhere we go from shore to 20 miles offshore, from Sarasota to Tarpon Springs, we can't find a single creature alive on the bottom right now," said Miller.

Miller says he's never seen such death and devastation under water in his 20 years of diving.

"All the coral, all the sponges, all the crabs, not a single living thing, all the star fish, the brittle stars, everything's dead," said Miller.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems likely that the cause of the odor could also be the cause of the dead spot in that area of the ocean.

Firefighters responded to the calls from residents of the area complaining about the awefull odor, tested the area with gas meters, and found that there are no gas leaks and no readings of propane even though the odor is very similar to that of propane. (Link can be found below.)

Related News Links:
www.baynews9.com

[edit on 12-8-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This is very bad, if the "womb" of the Earth has started developing dead spots. I can see where the ocean will in the not to far future, just be one big salt water deposit with not redeeming life value. Man we better smarten up before it is non reversable. But to you that are still in denial, please reinsert your head back where you pulled it from. This is not good.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I remember just recently reading about red tide in the area of the gulf, maybe that is the cause of the odor and turtle deaths?

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I bet this is related to this thread, Mass Exodus from Gulf of Mexico.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It looks like Sarasota is very close to Englewood, Florida where this is happening. They don't know if it is being caused by a red tide or not. Can anyone tell us if this occurs very often?

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I have seen the red tide in Maine and it doesn't stink...this is not good but I have faith in the resilence of life...anything that can produce living microbes miles beneath the surface in the cracks between rocks at extremely high pressure or living and thriving by volcanic vents in the bottom of the ocean or sulfer pools in yellowstone, is something of a quality that we mere humans cannot destroy unless we blow the planet to ashes. Life will adapt and continue, whether we do along with it is the question.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Seems like I read earlier this year that just about every year a dead spot develops in the Gulf of Mexico off the Louisiana/Mississippi coasts. According to the article, the dead spot has been getting larger each year for the past several years and this year the phenomenon started earlier than it has been starting. I'll try to find the article and provide a link.

Found the link: www.physorg.com...

The story is from the April 26/27th issues of PhysOrg.com news

[edit on 12-8-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Nothing to worry about...
please continue to flush raw sewage, and chemical company waste water into the oceans...
please have all cruise lines dump trash indiscriminatley into the ocean...

please have the nuclear subs continue to toxify the oceans with radioactivity...

please continue to add huge amounts of fertilizer to the ocean...

and OIL... the ocean needs oil to survive... yum

the ocean is the lungs of the world... and we owe it our life
how healthy it is... is how healthy we are...
last five years... dead zones abound... why?

if these dead zones take over... then all air breathing life on this earth follows suit within 2 WEEKS
... that is the surplus of oxygen that the ocean recycles constantly...
trees dont really help oxygen much... almost a zero sum...

if the ocean becomes a dead zone, then massive die offs... in just a matter of days
we are so toast...

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Well Lazarus I agree losing oxygen renewal would be disastrous, but it couldn't possibly happen within 2 weeks--There's just to much Oxygen stored in the atmosphere to be depleted so quickly.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
``

I really think the problem is a recurring one,
its called hypoxia
on one site, 2 days ago, i vaguely remember that a 'dead zone' exists
in the Gulf...
its been known for many years & this year is nothing remarkable in the growth or expansion of the dead-zone....
its just perhaps the tides or weather or temps or el ninos have made the dead-zone extend, in an amoeba-like fashion, close to the Fla.coast

www.nos.noaa.gov...

PS: in 1999 the 'dead Zone' maxed out at 7000+ sq miles big !!!

greennature.com...

[edit on 12-8-2005 by St Udio]

[edit on 12-8-2005 by St Udio]

top topics

join