It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex Australian soldier Mathew Stewart in latest Al Qaeda video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
His family says it is not him (of course), his freinds say it is him. Investigation pending.

CNN

"CANBERRA, Australia (AP) -- A former Australian soldier is suspected of being a masked gunman who appeared in a videotaped terror message this week threatening attacks against the West, newspapers have reported.

Mathew Stewart had served as a private with the U.N. peace keeping force in East Timor before he was discharged from the Australian army on psychiatric grounds in 2001 and apparently disappeared overseas.

Counterterrorism authorities launched an investigation Wednesday when a man wearing a balaclava and speaking in what experts agree is an Australian accent appeared on Dubai-based Al-Arabiya television in what purported to be an al-Qaeda video tape made in Afghanistan.

Stewart's family has confirmed police visited the family home on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland state on Wednesday and asked Vicki Stewart if she could identify her 28-year-old son from still pictures taken from the tape..."

Non Arab operatives are a gold mine for Al Qaeda, it nulifies the edge that profiles give to the authorities. Dangerous times...

[edit on 12-8-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Here is an interesting voice analysis interview on this subject.
uploadhut.com...

The accent is clear, and in my opinion Australian. I would be interested in what other Aussie ATSer's
think.

Sanc'.

[edit on 12-8-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Non Arab operatives are a gold mine for Al Qaeda, it nulifies the edge that profiles give to the authorities. Dangerous times...

I actually think this is a good thing. We need to stop profiling in the sense that if it's a white guy we're safe. As long as all (or most) terrorists are Arab, we lull ourselves into a false sense of security as long as everyone around us is white. We as individuals need to be more aware of our safety in general. To take responsibility for our personal safety.

I'm not saying we need to be scared of everyone, but when there is a profile, we let down our guard as long as there are no Arabs around. Profiling is dangerous. Not only in that it opens the door to violation of civil rights, but because of the safety we feel when there's no 'profile-fits' around. We'd do better to realize that terrorism is popular right now and we need to be more aware of what's going on around us, where there are Arabs or not.

Am I making any sense?

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Benevolent Heretic,

I dont dissagree with how it should be, but in reality profiles work. You are right however that if we rely ONLY on the profile of a terrorist, we are in some serious trouble. But we cannot dismiss the profile in any way shape or form.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Ahh stop with that, (the white guys are also terrorists and we shouldnt profile arabs), its bs, the fact still remains, Not all arabs are terorists, But most terrorists are arab

[edit on 12-8-2005 by C0le]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Speaking as an Aussie, his accent certainly does sound like ours. This was bound to happen. Al-Qaeda has members from over 60 nations so it doesn't really surprise me to see caucasian members. The fact that he (if indeed it does turn out to be Matthew Stewart) served in the Army is somewhat disconcerting, given the extremely high level of training soldiers receive in the Australian Army. He would certainly have been a good find for Al-Qaeda, if indeed this tape represents them.

The fact that he was discharged for psychological reasons is interesting. To make the decision to turn against your country, move far overseas and take up with a group of terrorists is an extremely radical step. I wonder what events led him to decide that this was the life for him?

Am I making any sense?

You certainly are. I for one feel that profiling has its place. However, I also agree that the potential exists both for the misuse of its techniques and for the development of complacency when those around you do not fit the profile.

I wonder why Al-Qaeda, if this tape is theirs, chose to release this particular video? To demonstrate that Westerners are being converted to their way of thinking? To demoralise our country? Rest assured that Al-Qaeda has a reason for everything it does. This would be no different, which makes it quite interesting.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It was an a definate aussie voice. I grew up in a multi cultural inductrial city called Wollongong and he spoke just like the ethnic muslims of 2nd generation I know there. I am suspicious of the video and suspicious of the way the government has put a name to a masked face so quickly.

But one thing that just striked me down... the voice was that of what we call a "import wog", a first or 2nd gerneration aussie. the way he pronounced the 'Yous" sounds just like many muslims from the middle east living in Australia. He sounds like he grew up in Australia but has ethnic roots by the pronounciation. Not an Australian Australian accent at all. The name given was Matthew Stewart, a good scottish name. Not at all fitting to the accent of them man in the video, he was an aussie yes but of ethnic origins.

Many of the muslims youth here in Australia feel the same way as the masked guy in the video, bored and disgruntled looking for an outlet to vent. It wouldn't take much for many of them to mobilise and act against Australia.

and before you all strike me down again fro calling ethnics wogs, my daughter is one of those ethnics and it is not meant derogatory in any way.

[edit on 12-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
Ahh stop with that, (the white guys are also terrorists and we shouldnt profile arabs), its bs, the fact still remains, Not all arabs are terorists, But most terrorists are arab

[edit on 12-8-2005 by C0le]

That's not true at all. If you were arab, perhaps you would think most terrorists are American.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Many of the muslims youth here in Australia feel the same way as the masked guy in the video, bored and disgruntled looking for an outlet to vent. It wouldn't take much for many of them to mobilise and act against Australia.

I doubt that simple boredom and disgruntlement could lead to someone becoming a full-blown terrorist. I would also like to know if you have noticed any significant difference between the young Muslim community in southern Australia (NSW, Victoria) and northern Australia (QLD) because I know a number of young male Muslims here in Brisbane and they would never dream of becoming terrorists.

Perhaps before they "mobilise against Australia" they need to check their facts and work out exactly what it is they would be mobilising for and against. They should also be aware that very little happens among the Muslim community in Australia that the intelligence services are not aware of.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I don't think they care about the intelligence. Yes I have noticed a difference in some quarters. These youths grew up with their parents escaping the middle east for various reasons. They have listened to their parents stories and many of them have found reasons to dissent.

Brisbane is different to Melbourne Sydney and Wollongong, its more laid back and more Aussie cosmopolitan lifestyle whereas in the southern cities there is more of a concentration of ethnic minorities.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I don't think they care about the intelligence.

The reason I mentioned it is because if these kids are just bored, disgruntled and looking to rebel a little, then imitating or sympathising with terrorists is not only the wrong approach to take, it may potentially get them hurt.

Sure, their parents may have fled the Middle East, but they fled to Australia. Maybe they have a problem with Western influence in the region or seeming imbalances, but surely Australia is a bit-player in such things? I would hate to see young Aussie kids get arrested or worse just because they were trying to be defiant and didn't realise what they were getting thmeselves in for.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   
See that's it though. They don't care about being hurt or being arrested, it makes them more of a hero if they do. They have a cause and to be arrested or stopped from doing what they are doing leads to more dissent and hatred. This to them is a holy war, something they have been taught in the cradle to believe in above all else.

Australia is no longer a bit player, it is now a major player it should have thought about it's own peoples wants and needs before kowtowing to the greater power and sending the troops over, surely Vietnam taught people lessons. Apparently not, here we are years later still sticking our noses into others business.

This puts us at risk of bombings and dissident religious groups. Im all for not bowing down to terrorism but Im also all for keeping my nose in my own backyard and fixing broken things here.

They realise what they are getting themselves in for, they have a choice, rot here or be a hero in Jihad.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
But one thing that just striked me down... the voice was that of what we call a "import wog", a first or 2nd gerneration aussie. the way he pronounced the 'Yous" sounds just like many muslims from the middle east living in Australia.

...yup...sounds like an Aussie Wog...very 'Con The Fruiterer'

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Mayet-

Well, clearly we disagree on a few issues, which is fine.
However, I would like to comment on a few things you said:

They have a cause and to be arrested or stopped from doing what they are doing leads to more dissent and hatred.

What cause would that be, exactly? The establishment of a Palestinian state? The lessening of Western influence in the Middle East? Or some more vague, "We just don't like Western concepts" cause. The problem I have with this is that these causes all relate to the Middle East. These kids don't live in the Middle East, they live in Australia. Now, it's fine (and even to be encouraged) for them to question Government's decisions and voice their disapproval, but to actively struggle against the Australian Government is another thing. If they hate Australia and wish to take up the causes of the Middle East, then let them do so in the Middle East where they will likely not enjoy the freedoms they enjoy here. Protesting good, violence bad, is the point I think I'm trying to make.

Australia is no longer a bit player, it is now a major player

As much as it would flatter me to agree with you, I cannot. In the eyes of terrorists, there are far more worthy targets than Australia: The USA, Israel and Great Britain being the top three that spring to mind, followed closely by Italy and then perhaps us. You have to be aware that, although the Iraq issue is a big deal here, most people in the USA have no idea that Australia even has troops in Iraq. Our contribution, though important, is fairly meek.

As to keeping our noses out of other people's business - fair enough. I used to think that too - stay out of things that don't concern us, spend money here at home, etc. But now I think, "Well, we're all human. If people need our help, it's our duty as a wealthy, free country to help them. Now I agree that the reasons for invading Iraq were pretty dodgy, but as long as we're there, we might as well try and help the people. Also, I would have been in favour of the war if they had just said "We're going in to topple Saddam" because, whatever else the case may be, Saddam was a monster and deserved to be overthrown for the way he treated his people.

As for "rotting here or being heroes in Jihad", I think that "rotting" here in Australia still affords them more liberties and wealth than they would enjoy in most other nations. Again, if they wish to engage in Jihad, let them foresake this country and move to the Middle East. You don't see me joining the IRA simply because I have Irish heritage.

Finally, let me just say that although we clearly differ on many issues, I am sincerely trying not to be offensive or belittle your opinions, which were well-founded and eloquently put. I also realise that you do not speak for the young Muslim communities of the southern cities. I appreciate your honesty and your opinions and look forward to discussing these issues some more.

top topics

join