It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pakistan Test Fires Its First Cruise Missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Pakistan has successfully test-fired its first cruise missile. The successful missile test was given as a birthday present for Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf. The missile is capable of reaching 500km (310 miles) and flies low enough to avoid a nations defensive radar systems. Pakistan had signed a deal with which to inform nuclear rival, India, of future ballistic missile tests. India was not informed of this test because it is a guided missile, not a ballistic missile. India had no comment on the test.

news.bbc.co.uk
Pakistan says it has fired its first cruise missile, describing the launch as a "milestone" in its history.

The Babur missile is capable of carrying nuclear and conventional warheads and has a range of 500km (310 miles), a military spokesman said.

Information Minister Sheikh Rashid Ahmed said the launch was a birthday gift to President Pervez Musharraf.

Analysts say the launch is likely to cause concern in the region. Nuclear rival India had no comment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It concerns me that a nuclear capable dictatorship now has guided missiles. It will not be long before Pakistan's guided missile's range will be measured in the thousands of kilometres. Of course there will be no outcry from the United States or Britain over these latests tests as Musharraf is the poster boy in the War on Terror. The fact that he is an unelected military dictator that overthrew a democratically elected government fails to register a blip on the Democratic radar of George W. Bush.

I fear this move could unsettle the fragile peace that has recently existed between India and Pakistan. A guided missile can greatly tip the balance of power to Pakistan's side in any confrontation. The 500km range of the current Pakistani cruise missile can reach major population centers in India. That must be a major worry to the Indian government.

[edit on 11/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
it is, but look at the present "balence" of power-it is all India
They have more planes, tanks, missles, and even aircraft carriers.
This could serve to actually balence power, but it won't. We all know that India will react, probably by building it's own cruise missle. On and on.....

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
``

as i see it, this dictator (since 12 Oct. 1999) seems to have been civilized
and not contributed to nuclear proliferation or weapons to Rogue States / organizations
~~ since the Clinton Era until now.!
Its true that P. Musharraf, from Oct 1999 - July 2001, he was only Chief Executive of Pakistan...
and he then announced himself President of Pakistan in 2001 (during the Bush administration)
.....?......there is a substantial difference? between the two stations?

item #2; i see you reported that major target cities in India are within the 500km range....
Would Saudi Arabia be in that 500km. danger zone....
If one positioned the new cruise missles on their southern borders?

item #3; President Musharraf is presently not our enemy!
( and i don't believe their scientists had any secret technology or launch technology leaked to them from Whitesands Missle Base- missing laptops,
suspiciously happening around the Clinton fundraising adventures.)
Pakastani scientists are not our enemy either!

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The Taliban were not enemies of the United States in the 1980's. Saddam Hussein was not an enemy of the United States either at this time. I think you get my drift. Things change and if history is anything to go by Musharraf will be overthrown and whoever over throws him will be a nuclear armed regime. That should be something to worry about.

Also how can Bush claim, with a straight face, that he is spreading democracy around the World with his efforts in Iraq yet he allies with, and condones, dictatorships? Wouldnt logic state that Bush is opposed to countries disliking America rather than the fact they are dictatorships?

If you are dictatorship that likes America then thats just dandy. You dont need to let your populace have a right to control their government so long as you're nice to the United States. Wasnt that the philosophy Bush vowed to dump following the 9/11 attacks?

Lesson for would-be dictators. You can be a dictator so long as you stay on the United States good side. Make overt noises at solidarity and cooperation and treat your populace with however much contempt you wish. The Karimov's of this World can gun down hundreds of protestors so long as you remain a U.S ally.

Great

[edit on 11/8/05 by subz]

top topics

join