It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korean Soldiers in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
South Korea said Wednesday that it has completed deployment of the main body, or 2,800 troops, in Iraq.

The troops safely deployed in Irbil at the Kurdish Autonomous Region in northern Iraq by Sept. 22, said Maj. Gen. Song Ki-seok, a top operations officer at the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff,adding "There were no major accidents during the process."

The deployment, which took about 50 days, makes South Korea thelargest US coalition partner in Iraq after Britain.

South Korea's Defense Ministry has imposed a news blackout on the troop movement for security reasons. Fears of terrorist attacks mounted in South Korea after a male citizen of South Koreawas killed by Muslim insurgents in Iraq in this June.

The South Korean troops will begin reconstruction work next month after consultations with Kurdish government officials, Song said.

source

Wow I never knew that, a knew Japan sent troops to Iraq. But Korea, wow wonder what other operations there doing. I'll try and get some info on that.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This article is from Sep 22, 2004.
They've been there for months now.
There were a lot of protests in Korea when they made the decision.

Here's a list of the top 10 coalition members:

1. USA 130,000
2. United Kingdom 8,761
3. South Korea 3,600
4. Italy 3,085 -- began phased withdrawal of troops in March 2005 [2]
5. Poland 1,700 -- began to withdraw troops in October 2004
6. Ukraine 1,450 -- announced to withdraw troops by October 2005 [3]
7. Georgia 889
8. Romania 860
9. Australia 850
10. Japan 550 -- limited to non-combat zones only
en.wikipedia.org...

EDIT: Korea was also one of the biggest members of the coalition in the Vietnam war.

[edit on 10-8-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell
Wow I never knew that, a knew Japan sent troops to Iraq. But Korea, wow wonder what other operations there doing. I'll try and get some info on that.
+

The South Koreans also had the 2nd largest commitment in Vietnam with 50,000 men. The South Koreans were so effective there that VC and NVA activity dropped almost to nothing. They are tough men and not to be trifled with.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Not to sound ungrateful for their commitment, but it's about time! I shudder to think what would happen to the Korean Peninsula if the American military abandoned it, I think a little reciprocity is more than in order.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What, don't they need all their soldiers on the boarder to North Korea...?

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
What, don't they need all their soldiers on the boarder to North Korea...?

I think their doing this because they want to play a greater war in world affairs.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Not needed. North Korea isnt in any condition to go to war. They will suffer too much.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Much less the US Air Force and a Bunker Buster for Kim (that would be nice) is 8 minutes away from the DMZ

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Originally posted by blue cell
+

The South Koreans also had the 2nd largest commitment in Vietnam with 50,000 men. The South Koreans were so effective there that VC and NVA activity dropped almost to nothing. They are tough men and not to be trifled with.

Those ROK toopers are some strak soldiers!!! Hard as steel and meaner than a grizzly.

top topics

join