It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Finds Iranian Weapons in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld on Tuesday renewed criticism of Iran, alleging that some weapons being used by insurgents in Iraq are entering the country from Iran. Rumsfeld also said it's unclear whether they came from the Iranian government.

www.cnn.com
U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said Tuesday that weapons recently confiscated in Iraq were "clearly, unambiguously from Iran" and admonished Tehran for allowing the explosives to cross the border.

Iran's defense minister denied the claims in a report carried by the state-run news agency IRNA.

According to Ali Shamkhani, Iran is playing no role in Iraqi affairs, including "its alleged involvement in bomb explosions."

The shipment of sophisticated bombs was confiscated in the past two weeks by U.S. and Iraqi troops in southern Iraq, senior U.S. officials said Monday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Just last week MSNBC News reported that US soldiers discovered dozens of recently manufactured "shaped" charges smuggled into north-eastern Iraq from Iran and it is believed that those types of weapons were responsible for killing of 14 US Marines riding in a armored amphibious assault vehicle. Unlike the unsophisticated bombs normally used by insurgents these weapons have the ability to penetrate a heavily armored vehicle, making them the deadliest used by the insurgents to date.

It should be noted that Britain has also filed a formal complaint on this very same issue. (See second supporting link).

This development kind of makes one wonder if we will have to take military action against Iran. I am not saying war mind you just making selective attacks that will prevent the weapons from entering Iraq.

Related News Links:
www.heraldsun.news.com.au
www.whotv.com

[edit on 10-8-2005 by asala]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Have they really found weapons or is this yet another plot to turn the US public against Iran?

I find it highly believable that Iran would supply insurgents in Iraq, but i also find it highly believable that the US would make the whole thing up.....Remember the Iraqi WMD that could be launched in 45 mins???

Mic

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Things are really starting to heat up on this issue. The theorized "guns of august" doesn't sound to out of arms reach.....so sad to say.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Mountainous borders are difficult to secure at best. Look at the luck US and Pakistani forces have had in Afganistan? Is Iran suppling the insurgents? I doubt it as policy. Yes Yes I know they have and continue to support other groups like Hizbullah et al. however, i doubt that they would have an active program like the CIA did during the Afganistan invasion. Why? It seems that Iran may be next on the list and why yank the tigers tail when a huge chunk of his Army, Navy, AF, and Marines are sitting near your border.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This has always bugged me.

Our Government says they cant stop millions of illegal Immigrants from crossing our border but the think Syria and Iran can close their borders? They should be able to stop a comparative trickle of what our Government cant?

I am not saying either government is innocent its just that this statement has always bugged me.

[edit on 10-8-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

While there is no evidence Iran's government sanctioned the weapons shipment, the analysts said it may indicate a rogue element inside Iran is making the weapons and trying to ship them to Iraq's insurgents.

In spite of the advanced technology and skills of the US military their attempts to stop bomb making in Iraq have been unsuccessful.

The Iranians are not going to be any more adept at preventing this type of activity. It doesn't mean they are sponsoring this type of thing.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
"clearly and unambiguosly from Iran"

hmm. has 'Made in Iran' printed on it does it?

come on, im sure if they looked hard enough they could find some US made weapons over there too, and UK ones as well.

alright, so if only a few of the explosives and guns are from Iran, the where are the rest from?
all from America? is this some sort of way of saying, hey dont butt in on our little insurgent war, were making big bucks out of it from weapon sales?

[edit on 10-8-2005 by AdamJ]

[edit on 10-8-2005 by AdamJ]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
dumb dumb dee dumb dumb dee dumb dumb...
the drum beat is getting heavy...

well, obviously this means that iran is sponsoring these attacks... what else could the possession of iranian weapons mean? after all... ONLY iranians can use those... they blow up if someone else does...

this is quite obviously the most devious of enemys, and requires immediate extermination... hurrump...

iranian weapons in iraq... wow... who woulda thunk it? they are so far away geographically... now the evidence is all so clear...
(in case you can't tell, I am being sarcastic)

wow... the military intellegence propagandists must think we are idiots... well... let me restate...
they must think that ALL of us are idiots... and they are wrong... not all of us are...

[edit on 10-8-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
Have they really found weapons or is this yet another plot to turn the US public against Iran?

I find it highly believable that Iran would supply insurgents in Iraq, but i also find it highly believable that the US would make the whole thing up.....Remember the Iraqi WMD that could be launched in 45 mins???

I couldn't have said it better...considering this adminstrations track record of expedient lies, if bush and team said the sky was blue and the sun, yellow...I would check for myself.
Has anyone noticed how quickly the so-called axis of evil has attempted to up it's armaments? I wonder why?
So much for making the world safer by talking tough and violence huh!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I'm quite sure there are dozens of individuals in just about every country in the world who have the wherewithall and would/are selling just about anything to anyone for the sake of profit. I agree with you, Lazarus. Military intelligence not only THINKS but KNOWS enough of us will swallow this whole. It's deja vu all over again all over again.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Iraq to probe US claims on smuggled Iranian weapons

BAGHDAD (AFX) - Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari said security agencies will investigate US claims that Iran had smuggled weapons across the border into Iraq.

'Our security agencies will investigate the US claims,' Jaafari told reporters. 'If we find any truth in these claims, we will not hesitate to take up the matter with Iranian authorities.'

[edit on 8/10/2005 by shots]

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
This kind of sounds like the lies about their nuclear program. First they don't, then they do; which is the same old song and dance routine they have used for years.

I also find the wording rather strange when the highest authority in Iran says "we will not hesitate to take up the matter with Iranian authorities".

You read the article wrong.
Jaafari is the Prime Minister of Iraq not Iran.
He is saying that if Iraq finds any evidence of this he will approach the Iranian authorities.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
You read the article wrong.
Jaafari is the Prime Minister of Iraq not Iran.
He is saying that if Iraq finds any evidence of this he will approach the Iranian authorities.

Ooooops my bad; thanks for catching that. I corrected it

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
From Dateline (SBS Australia)

We're taken to meet Abdullah, who oversees the fort. This fort has been set up to stop smuggling between Iraq and Iran, but strangely Abdullah tells us he hasn't seen any smugglers. When we ask Sergeant White about this later, he tells us that Abdullah is a known supporter of Moqtada al-Sadr. Al-Sadr is a radical Shi'ite cleric who's calling for an immediate withdrawal of coalition forces from Iraq.

SERGEANT PETER WHITE: The problem you got there is Abdullah has recently been moved down from fort 50, because one of the shifts he was involved in down there, were blatant Moqtada al-Sadr supporters, and when we first arrived, three months ago they were blatantly quiet hostile to us. So I put this in my patrol report and it filtered down to the right people and they moved him, they've dispersed this shift.

We're told Moqtada al-Sadr is popular in this area.

REPORTER: Does it create a problem for you guys?

SERGEANT PETER WHITE: Not really, at the moment we are kind of tolerated, they put up with us because they sort of have to. When we first got here, before we let them know what were about, showed them our authority, a lot of them had Moqtada al-Sadr ring tones on their telephones, chanting and stuff, and video phones, footage, stickers. When we first got here they must have thought we just got off the boat because they were trying to get us to acknowledge Moqtada al-Sadr was a good man, trying to test their luck, you know.

Abdullah, who oversees the fort. This fort has been set up to stop smuggling between Iraq and Iran, but strangely Abdullah tells us he hasn't seen any smugglers.

Herein lies the fact that no-one can change or convert a culture, in this day and age.

Sure, it has been done in past history...but the wars were not based on oil.

Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
How exactly does one assertain the ownership of weapons? If said weapon is from Iran, what markings on this weapon prove this?

A priori judgements tell us that this administration is far from believability.

Luxifero.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Luxifero
How exactly does one assertain the ownership of weapons? If said weapon is from Iran, what markings on this weapon prove this?

A priori judgements tell us that this administration is far from believability.

Luxifero.

They found a note attached:
"to any person that finds these, please return to Abdul at 1480 tehran square, Iran... down with Bush and Blair...death to infidels...peace out"
In closing... he stated that he would reimburse freight costs for the return...

need we see more? the evidence is sooooo clear....

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
no doubt George Galloway was invovled somewhere also. 2 birds with one stone.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
So no mention of the fact that the other weapons the insurgents are using are American and British made? That fact is conveniently forgotten.

Also the Americans supplied Afghanis with weapons, money and know-how to fight the invading Russians. How would this be any different to that? Intentions? Well thats a subjective stance isnt it.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Iranian weapons being used by insurgents, Iran starting up their nuclear program again...this seems all too convienent. Seems like Scott Ritter may have been a few months off with his prediction...

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
and we believe EVERYTHING that Donald Rumsfeld says...........

The largest seller of weapons in the world is the United States. Think about that children...

There is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join