It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US intel says Iran at least 10yrs away from a 'bomb'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It seems there are a few who are getting all hot and bothered and in quite a lather about recent events regarding the supposed restarting of the Iranian nuclear enrichment 'program'.
(Even though the IAEA 'seals' on parts of that 'plant' have not been broken.

But one of the senior I.A.E.A. official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity under agency rules, said that agency inspectors had visited the Isfahan site Tuesday and that Iran had not yet broken protective seals and started the machines working again.

www.nytimes.com...

As for this so far imaginary 'weapons program' it appears some need a little of the cold water of reality chucked over them, so here it is from the intel services of the USA itself.......

Iran's Is Judged 10 Years From Nuclear Bomb

Dafna Linzer
Washington Post staff writer
Tuesday, August 2, 2005; 12:00 PM

A recent U.S. intelligence report, the National Intelligence Estimate, puts Iran about ten years away from having a key component needed for the manufacture of nuclear weapons. This estimate doubles the previous timetable of approximately five years, and broadens options for assessing Iran's motives and pursuing diplomatic avenues.

- The full article can be read here
www.washingtonpost.com.../registration/login&destination=login&nextstep
(requires free registration)

.......not that I imagine this will cause a moments pause for those intent on spamming ATS with their crass anti-Iranian/Muslim propaganda; but there you go.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Actually, from what I can tell most that post here have more an inclination toward
not accepting the current US administrations stance on Iran or Iraq or the War on Terror
in general, I being one of them.
Ten years away, I believe that, thats even if they WERE considering it.
And being in such the Global Eye, makes that time frame even more unrealistic if they were attempting it, which I strongly doubt.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The US intel (and the administration) also said at one point that Iraq was not a threat and did not have WMDs. But that all changed overnight, didn't it?

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Great Post!!!
Now there's something you don't see on Fox TV. Someone here posted an article entitled "Iraq's been a great bone to some" in it they give links to a (and let's be polite) "embarrassing report" on one U.S company in particular that's been given bonuses for its Iraq work, despite having not done much in the way of value of money.
I wonder if all this stuff on Nuclear Iran really is just another excuse to hand out more contracts to companies and their friends of politicians once we've invaded them?
Poor Iranians, I bet they wish they got their hands on that bomb soon. After all with governments like ours kicking at them, they may just need it prevent being invaded against international law like their neighbour. Now what is it we're saying to the Iranians "get rid of your WMD programme and you have nothing to fear"? Now where have I heard that before? I hope they won't make Saddam’s mistake by unilaterally disarming only to become a sitting duck.
However no doubt once we’ve invaded them they the Iranians would have lead us into believing they had nuclear weapons. After all Bush & friends wouldn’t do something like that, would they?

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
If it will be ten years until the Iranians have a nuclear warhead then I say leave them alone, between the Mayan Calender of 2012, full disclosure, the Reptilians and H1N5 no one will be left to see it anyway.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Divide that number by (3) and we will than have the actual bomb arrival date......which makes it about December of 2008.

What a wonderful Christmas that will be....

Maximu§

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
New Iranian Nuclear Developments

It would appear, at least to a dissident from Iran, that the Iranian Nuclear Program may be further along than thought. Although some sites appear to be untouched since the IAEA seals were placed, but according to the article it has been business as usual at Natanz, 300 miles south of Tehran.

Now, I'm not sure if this means anything but somehow the news casts have gone from "Multi-Party Iranian Nuclear 'Talks' to Iranian Nuclear 'Crisis'". Is this the proverbial "Yellow Cake" of the reasoning to wage war with Irag in terms of our stance with Iran?

cjf

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Blix said gave the same time estimate as the posted article back in June 2005, but he also added…..

What is uncomfortable and dangerous is that they have acquired the capacity to enrich uranium out of their own uranium that they dig out of the ground," he said, adding that it is hard to trust Tehran's claims that it will only enrich uranium to levels required for civil purpose.
If you can enrich to five percent you can enrich it to 85 percent," he said.
AFP full article

I question why ten years. The rough material is available, technology is there and so are the intellectual assets. Didn’t the US go from ‘theoretical scratch’ and a few ‘borrowed’ scientists to the A-bomb in just under three years 60 years ago with what is considered now crude technology?

new topics

top topics

join