It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

shuttle getting phased - out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
With all this bad publicity regarding the space shuttle, maybe it's time to "phase-in" a new space transport system.
Maybe atomic propulsion rings a bell :p
As with all new technologies (nuclear [hiroshima], stealth [cold-war], atomic-prop [dawn of terror]?), a good drama is the best way to expose anything.

Just a thought mateys ..

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Ok I was kinda confused about that then, but I think I know what you are on about...I dont know I think we are gonna see the space travel project carry on this way for many decade until a new and better system is made...I dont know what like however..

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Not sure if a new era of Space adverture is on the way, or this current one is on its last legs or whatever. I think people have just been over skeptical recently due to the massive coverage that the recent mission has got. Every little problem that occured, the world was informed.
I agree though that the drama and negative attention NASA have been getting lately, could pave the way for some new projects.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
OK, so the shuttle has some problems. Looks like the technology being used is dated and prone to problems. Sensors that look like they were taken from the 50's, coating fuel tanks in foam ... what is that about !!??? ( mae.pennnet.com... ) , the shuttle crew having a temporary fixing kit that contains duct tape ( www.startribune.com... ) Should I go on ????
This is not a temporary fix that I'm preforming on my hot water heater, this should be cutting edge technology !!

So.... where is the replacement??? How many years will it take to get funding for it, build and test? What happens to the International Space Station and America's commitment to it?? ( www.esa.int... )

Take a step back and look at the whole picture.... is it just me that has serious concerns or doubts ??? How can they possibly launch any further missions having encountered so many problems, surely NASA was not having a bad day at the office ?? Maybe serious funding will now be made available and this was NASA's aim ( but at what risk ? ) .... maybe the fix will be gorilla glue ???

I look forward to hearing other members views on this.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I don't think it's ever been in doubt that the shuttle will leave us soon, andhas been outdated for a while.

However, we need to keep it around for a while to finish our commitments, and to help us get to the next step. If your army is outdated, you don't get rid of it until you replace it, and in fact, you use it to replace it.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The shuttle is going to be retired, soon. Although there have been tragedies, there have been far more successes than disasters, just remember that. The media is about money...it's a business...just remember that.

Nuclear propulsion is already being studied nowadays.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It has been for 4 decades or so, and we're almost nowhere. Fission simply won't cut it.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The first flight of the shuttle in space was April 12th, 1981. Many successful missions since then, but dated now and its showing. No sign of anything new wether its nuclear or whatever else. 24 years and nothing to replace it ???? Makes you wonder what is being kept from us all or the actual state of the space program !

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I have said this before , if you had Alien Spacecraft in area 51 and had back engineered them as stated by Bob Lazar you would have a replacement for the shuttle, Flying Saucers. Looks like all the theories about captured Alien spacecraft can be binned now as to get to space you will be going in a Russian firework. If you have a flying saucer, lets see it.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by simon_alex0327
24 years and nothing to replace it ???? Makes you wonder what is being kept from us all or the actual state of the space program !

Not from us, from them. Lots and lots of money. "Cheap and fast," or whatever the slogan was, doesn't cut it for a space program.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Just a thought, they may have the crafts now and are just using the shuttle to hide this. Who knows ? You know after over 20 years of using the shuttle they must have other abilities not being mentioned available. I guess time will tell.

top topics

join