It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cathode ray violation ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
First I would just like to ask if it is true that in a cathode ray, electrons travel almost at the speed of light, and if this is true, should'nt their relatavistic mass increase to a huge figure ?

I am not sure if you can even take an electron to be a piece of mass, so could someone clear things up for me.

[edit on 9-8-2005 by siddharthsma]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The mass of an electron is very small. 9.109 3826(16) × 10−31 kg

The speed of an electron in a vacuum aproaches but never reaches c, the speed of light in a vacuum.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by siddharthsma
First I would just like to ask if it is true that in a cathode ray, electrons travel almost at the speed of light, ...?

Nope. And I suggest you stop trying to prove relativity wrong if you're just a science amateur, it is incredibly arrogant of you to think you'll just spot some error in it tens of thousands of professional scientists and even more students and amateurs will have missed.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I do not think the original poster was trying to be arrogant. They were just asking a question. You are the only person I see as being arrogant. If you have something of value to add then please enlighten everyone, however if rude and cynical remarks are all you have to offer someone who seeks answers then we are all better served by no reply from you.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ss0825ss
I do not think the original poster was trying to be arrogant. They were just asking a question. You are the only person I see as being arrogant. If you have something of value to add then please enlighten everyone, however if rude and cynical remarks are all you have to offer someone who seeks answers then we are all better served by no reply from you.

See Here www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Nope. And I suggest you stop trying to prove relativity wrong if you're just a science amateur, it is incredibly arrogant of you to think you'll just spot some error in it tens of thousands of professional scientists and even more students and amateurs will have missed.

I never meant to sound so arrogant with my posts. I just thought of a few things and I wanted to inquire about them. I know my ' E = mc2 malfunction ' post started by saying Einstein was wrong and stuff, and that sounded rude and arrogant to you, and for that I am sorry. I never expected everyone to take my post so seriously, and start judging my character and thinking bad of me.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Dont worry about it.

It's becoming the norm for ATS.

Rather than take you through what you had wrong (which I’m glad to say actually happen in the other thread) they'll jump all over you calling you names and accusing you of things (sadly this also happened in the other thread).

Dont take it personally, just be aware that some people take great delight in belittling other people they see as inferior.

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by siddharthsma

I never meant to sound so arrogant with my posts. I just thought of a few things and I wanted to inquire about them. I know my ' E = mc2 malfunction ' post started by saying Einstein was wrong and stuff, and that sounded rude and arrogant to you, and for that I am sorry. I never expected everyone to take my post so seriously, and start judging my character and thinking bad of me.

sid - I personally have not judged you in anyway. Maybe because I can see that you tend to learn the things you are studying in about the same fashion I do. I have always had to prove to myself first via a mental roadblock I bang my head against and then work past. You're doing the same things when you bring up points that you believe you have found to be "wrong". Others probably won't take your posting style in the manner you meant to approach the subject, but I'll continue to understand where you're coming from.

Keep up the good work in your studies. And by the way - virtually every major scientific breakthrough has been when one set of eyes found something thousands of professional eyes had missed. Keep looking - you may never find anything wrong - but you may very well be the next person to find the next, and currently undiscovered, right.

[edit on 8-12-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 12 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burgess
Dont worry about it.

It's becoming the norm for ATS.

Rather than take you through what you had wrong (which I’m glad to say actually happen in the other thread) they'll jump all over you calling you names and accusing you of things (sadly this also happened in the other thread).

Dont take it personally, just be aware that some people take great delight in belittling other people they see as inferior.

I know exactly why too. Its because the answer are already all over the internet and even ATS. People never just learn on thier own, they need someone to hold thier hand and lead them to the answer.

It gets frustrating having the same question asked evry other day when the answer is out there if someone would just put in a little effort to find it.

THe internet has massive amount of information and has taken research from a long process involving libraries to a few minutes. And people are STILL too lazy to look something up. ATS is slowly turning into ATSNN (good) and a Q&A board for the lazy (bad). Conspiracies now take a back seat to questions about established and available knowledge.

Don't get me wrong, asking for help is fine, but at LEAST do a google or ATS search first.

top topics

join