It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happy Birthday Fanatical Divide: Nixon Resigns 31 years Ago Today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
As speculation over increasingly bitter political partisanship is a frequently recurring topic on AboveTopSecret.com, I thought it worthwhile to reflect on the sometimes alleged wellhead (Nixon's resignation) on its anniversary and open the floor for interpretations and musings of the last 31 years.

Articles of Impeachment, Resignation and Convictions

The nationally televised address was August 8, 1974 and by noon the next day it was official; We wouldn't have tricky Dick to kick around any more.

And we've been kicking each other ever since.

Impressions of the past 31 years are encouraged. Wildly varying theories are expected.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I remember that. I was at scout camp at the time. It is interesting that he addressed it to Kissinger. Granted he was probably closer to Kissinger than anyone else n the administration, but I don't think that that was proper proticol. Shouldn't it have been addressed to the V.P. and the Speaker of the House?

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
RANT,
Thanks for the reminder.

As for general impressions of the last 31 years, well the US as a whole and the US Goverment have been going to heck in a handbasket.
Now I can somewhat understand why the old-timers that I used to brush off in my younger days kept on whining about the "good old days"

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I love how "Deep Throat" has been turned into a villain. Yet Rove's "Traitor Gate" is supposed to be a non-issue.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
31 years of increasing animosity (in a blurb):

Ford pardons Nixon (and the nation divides).
Media crucifies Carter (to be "fair" and because he's there).
Media doesn't crucify Reagan (to be "fair" in spite of Iran Contra)
~Indeed Reagan and Tip O'Neil are more likely to have dinner than debate.
~Half the nation feels unrepresented in any form.
During Bush 41, the backlash from 8 years of virtually no investigative media, no accountability and no debate, causes media (and political party) splits into partisan attack machines to represent the desires of a divided populace (media diversification and specialization helps this along)
~Politics get into the church business.
~Church gets into the media business.
~Internet gets into everyone's business.
By Clinton, the divide is as official and entrenched as a Gingrich V Clinton death match (which Clinton won).
Bush 43 caters to the revenge fantasies of everyone from Nixon to Gingrich fans.

And the cycle just deepens and continues...

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Well I hope all of you liberals are happy. Because you guys forced Nixon out of office over something that would make Clinton look like Honest Abe, we had to watch Saigon fall and eventually got Jimmy Carter.

Way to go, guys!

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   
From back in the days when journalism was still an upstanding profession, and dedicated reporters dug to find out the real truth behind dirty politics.

Boy I am really sounding old.

Not real sure about the new 'Infotainment' age.

American people seem to have lost their zeal for the truth.

[no disparagement to Judith Miller, who's integrity has confined her in a jail cell while Rove and others strut around the Whitehouse.]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
He didn't even give 2 weeks notice.

That's sooooo unprofessional.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Does anyone remember the classic SNL skit with Akroyd and Belushi?

Nixon: Henry, get down on your knees and pray with me!
Kissinger: Mr. President, you’ve got a big day tomorrow. Why don’t you get into our pajamas and go sleepy?
Nixon: Don’t you want to pray, Jewboy?

top topics

join