It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So why is 33rd Degree Eliphas Levi conjuring up a demon in this picture? Anyone care to explain?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Why wouldn't Levi be conjuring a "Demon"?
Conjuring is contrary practice to the wishes of the church, as any spirit or belief outside of church doctrines were "demonized".
being a 33deg Mason? This probably alone would be considered a blasphemy- just the affiliation.
probably a picture by some devout Zealot ( christian) whilst hallucinations take place after a Star Wars marathon.
King Solomon ( of the Hebrew fame ), was also into conjuring, sigils etc.
have a look at Goetia- the lesser keys of Solomon the king. Ahhh.... but just in the fashion that moses turned the staff to an asp it was a miracle- when pharoah did it, it was base sorcery.The arts are always tainted by the point of view the beholder has !

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
Just to set the facts straight or any others that have been watching the fun...

Mr Levi was a Magi (sorcerer)... this is fact... he wrote many books on the subject.
that wasn't a picture of him...
he was only briefly a mason... they didn't like him, and he didn't like them...
he was also a member of (and kicked out of) many other religious groups, including the catholic preisthood... (don't go there eudomonia)

this follows suit of many self titled "mystics" that were experimenting with the occult...
remember folks... occult was like coc aine for awhile during the late 1800's and early 1900's... all the rich hip people tried it...
and Mr Levi was like the coolist drug dealer.

Could you define "occult" and describe in what way Freemasonry is NOT involved in occult practices? Thanks.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaPoint
Could you define "occult" and describe in what way Freemasonry is NOT involved in occult practices? Thanks.
That's the rub. Occult has different meanings. Some of them literally define what Freemasonry is about. Others don't. To whit:

From the OED

A. adj.

1. a. Not disclosed or divulged, secret; kept secret; communicated only to the initiated. Now rare.

b. Of or relating to magic, alchemy, astrology, theosophy, or other practical arts held to involve agencies of a secret or mysterious nature; of the nature of such an art; dealing with or versed in such matters; magical.

2. a. Not apprehended, or not apprehensible, by the mind; beyond ordinary understanding or knowledge; abstruse, mysterious; inexplicable.

b. Of a thing or phenomenon: not affecting, or detectable by, the senses; imperceptible. Obs.

c. Science (now hist.). Of a property or matter: not manifest to direct observation; discoverable only by experiment; unexplained; latent. Also: dealing with such qualities, experimental (obs.).

3. a. Hidden from sight; concealed (by something interposed); not exposed to view.

b. Of a line, etc.: drawn as an aid in the construction of a figure, but intended to be erased or covered; (also) dotted. Obs.

c. Med. Of a disease: hidden, concealed, difficult to detect; unaccompanied by readily discernible signs or symptoms; spec. designating a primary neoplasm that is initially detected only indirectly, esp. by its metastases. Formerly (also): inexplicable, obscure (obs.).

B. n.

1. A hidden or secret thing. Obs. rare.

2. With the. The realm of the unknown; the supernatural world or its influences, manifestations, etc.; (collectively) magic, alchemy, astrology, and other practical arts of a secret or mysterious nature (see A. 1b). Cf. OCCULTISM n.
Freemasonry definitely falls under A1a. Truthfully, that's about it. While we may discuss alchemy as an allegory, we don't actually practice it. Heck, the candles in my lodge are electric bulbs... not terribly practical if you were doing actual conjuring. Or at least, not a viable substitute for elemental fire. (Possibly good for something else, I suppose, if you were invoking General Electric, for instance.)

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Is it just me or does the character remind anyone else of this fella?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzgibbon
Is it just me or does the character remind anyone else of this fella?

Now you're scaring me...

Incidentally, nice to see this thread again. However it's the second Eudaimonia thread that has been resurrected recently from the depths of 2005.

Conspiracy anyone...?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Nonsense, Freemasons are not interested in magic.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donkey_Dean
Speak for yourself. Freemasonry as an institution is not interested in magic. Individual Freemasons may or may not be. I'm perfectly comfortable admitting that I've spent a fair amount of time singing Latin masses (Handel, Bach and others...) and also spent time dancing naked around fires or reading tarot cards or dowsing for ley lines. That's one of the great things about Masonry—there's no proscribed religious dogma so "Pagans" can be just as welcome as Jews, Muslims or Christians.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I am a Freemason, and I am interested in magic, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Freemasonry.

I agree that Freemasonry as an organization has nothing to do with magic.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus

I am a Freemason, and I am interested in magic, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Freemasonry.

I disagree. I think that Freemasonry has *everything* to do with Magick, it's just that Masons have forgotten it over the centuries. The symbolism employed in Freemasonry is Hermetic and Qabalistic, the symbolism of Magick.

THE Occult Science of the Ancient Magi was concealed under the shadows of the Ancient Mysteries: it was imperfectly revealed or rather disfigured by the Gnostics: it is guessed at under the obscurities that cover the pretended crimes of the Templars; and it is found enveloped in enigmas that seem impenetrable, in the Rites of the Highest Masonry.....Magic is that which it is; it is by itself, like the mathematics; for it is the exact and absolute science of Nature and its laws.

Magic is the science of the Ancient Magi: and the Christian religion, which has imposed silence on the lying oracles, and put an end to the prestiges of the false Gods, itself reveres those Magi who came from the East, guided by a Star, to adore the Saviour of the world in His cradle.

Tradition also gives these Magi the title of "Kings;" because initiation into Magism constitutes a genuine royalty; and because the grand art of the Magi is styled by all the Adepts, "The Royal Art," or the Holy Realm or Empire, Sanctum Regnum.

The Star which guided them is that same Blazing Star, the image whereof we find in all initiations. To the Alchemists it is the sign of the Quintessence; to the Magists, the Grand Arcanum; to the Kabalists, the Sacred Pentagram. The study of this Pentagram could not but lead the Magi to the knowledge of the New Name which was about to raise itself above all names, and cause all creatures capable of adoration to bend the knee.

Magic unites in one and the same science, whatsoever Philosophy can possess that is most certain, and Religion of the Infallible and the Eternal. It perfectly and incontestably reconciles these two terms that at first blush seem so opposed to each other; faith and reason, science and creed, authority and liberty.
- Albert Pike, "Morals and Dogma" - p. 839 - 842

-

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
Speak for yourself. Freemasonry as an institution is not interested in magic. Individual Freemasons may or may not be. I'm perfectly comfortable admitting that I've spent a fair amount of time singing Latin masses (Handel, Bach and others...) and also spent time dancing naked around fires or reading tarot cards or dowsing for ley lines. That's one of the great things about Masonry—there's no proscribed religious dogma so "Pagans" can be just as welcome as Jews, Muslims or Christians.

Weirdo!

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
OP you really need to do some research, especially research that doesn't try and tell lies and falsehoods.

Baphomet was never a representation of Satan, I think if you check, Baphomet is meant to represent Wisdom, not Evil ever, again Christianity points the finger, and on top of that it points a finger at it's own creation.

Very sad indeed.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton

I thought that Freemasons had to accept the idea of one god, which would preclude some Pagans and, I would think, all Buddhists.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
...it's just that Masons have forgotten it over the centuries.

It's sad, really. It seems Masonry is becoming less and less esoteric by the day. Even the parts of the ritual which contain esoteric symbolism are slowly being relegated to "extended versions" at the back of the book, and don't form part of the ritual anymore (like the 2° WTs, for example.)

Perhaps this is part of the reason for the decline of Freemasonry...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The only conjuration that I know of from Eliphas is The conjuration of the four elements. Which is very close to Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. It is more of a protection and balancing ritual, not really a conjuration. Eliphas if nothing else he is fun read, and was a free thinker. My favorite quote from him is "Pleasure is a foe to be mastered, or you become its slave" Great stuff.

Peace
Trustnobody

[edit on 20-3-2009 by trustnobody]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Osmoses
I thought that Freemasons had to accept the idea of one god, which would preclude some Pagans and, I would think, all Buddhists.

Polytheism is acceptable, provided that the various deities are seen to be manifestations of a single 'supreme being.'

For example, Hindu is acceptable, since all of the various deities are simply different manifestations of one divine being. In the same way, Trinitarian Christianity (which has three different manifestations of one God (in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit)) is also acceptable.

Buddhists would be excluded from Freemasonry.

[edit on 20/3/2009 by Saurus]

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by trustnobody
The only conjuration that I know of from Eliphas is The conjuration of the four elements. Which is very close to Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. It is more of a protection and balancing ritual, not really a conjuration. Eliphas if nothing else he is fun read, and was a free thinker. My favorite quote from him is "Pleasure is a foe to be mastered, or you become its slave" Great stuff.

Levi's "Transcendental Magic" is one of my all time favorite books. Part 2, dealing with ritual instruction, is not in my opinion as valuable as Regardie's Golden Dawn encyclopedia or Crowley's variations, but the occult philosophy presented in Part 1 is nothing short of excellent.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Levi's "Transcendental Magic" is one of my all time favorite books. Part 2, dealing with ritual instruction, is not in my opinion as valuable as Regardie's Golden Dawn encyclopedia or Crowley's variations, but the occult philosophy presented in Part 1 is nothing short of excellent.

I agree completely The First half of that book is genius. He deserves more credit than he is given. Especially for in influence on the major arcana of the Tarot. Without him Modern Occultism and Witchcraft would be lost. Maybe we should start a thread discussion on his work and influence.

Peace
Trustnobody

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Crowley was also 33rd degree for a period. In the directives of Freemasonry, they require you to have belief in a God, as supreme architect. What the individual calls this God is a matter of discreet choice.
Masonry (of the Scottish Rite); can be traced with its ritual component back as far as Ancient Egypt; as it show a definite undercurrent of Hermetics.
English Rite freemasonry refuses to acknowledge any existence of 'Masonry before 1717. A very interesting subject!
I agree with former comments, that explains the occult movement circa 1800's onwards as a trendy thing to do for bored aristocrats- to a great degree. However, were quite lucky for the legacy that those such as Levi, Crowley, Fortune, Regardie (to name just a few); have left us. Maybe these individuals are not the true innovators, but at least they penned their works for others to see; or plagiarized and developed others' concepts- for this I am thankful.
I guess also, the reason for unorthodox movements such as the O.T.O, Golden Dawn etc to exist, (in an ideal way- Masonry also); was to carry on the development of such ideas away from the judgmentally prying eyes of the church.
Its funny how some things become accepted religion!
Prophets become God-head etc etc. For example the Buddha said "Be a light unto yourself"; people were only to use his teachings to gain enlightenment for themselves - so the they may also become Buddhas.
So what do people/some cultures do, elevate the Buddha (the original ) to God Status! Thats human nature I suppose!

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Well, so sorry to say but free masonry has everything to do with magic and power, HA, the only confusion is that until you have obtained a certain level you are not subject to this information.. The figure on the wall is called Baphomet and has been around since the knights Templar.. It is one of many symbols/religious icons that were incorporated into the earliest of the Masons.. Follow the pictographs and it's easy to get the story... Check out info re Rosalyn Chapel..

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saurus

Buddhists would be excluded from Freemasonry.

Only if the Buddhist in question was atheistic. There are plenty of theistic Buddhists, and as such, they may be made Masons.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join