It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venezuela's Chavez Shows DEA the Door (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Accusing the DEA of espionage, and characterizing their presence as unnecessry, Hugo Chavez has ceased cooperation with the American Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). Venezuela will still cooperate with international law enforcement agencies in the fight against drugs, says Chavez, but the DEA will no longer enjoy Venezuela's cooperation. Chavez has for years accused the USA of plotting to unseat him, charges always denied by American officials. As of yet, there are no comments from the DEA or other officials, regarding this latest development.

www.cnn.com
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez on Sunday dismissed cooperation with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration as unnecessary in a new blow to his country's fraying ties with the United States.

The Venezuelan leader, an ally of Communist Cuba and harsh critic of U.S. foreign policy, said he had suspended cooperation with the DEA and accused the agency of spying against his government.

"The DEA was used as a cover... to carry out intelligence work in Venezuela against this government," Chavez told reporters as he voted in local municipal elections.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don't envy Chavez's position. He's the unpopular head of an oil-rich nation. We know how it goes for folks in his position. However, Chavez has some things going for him. He has cozy relations with Cuba, Russia, and a number of other countries. His people appear to support him for the most part, and that's something to be proud of, if nothing else.

What will happen now? Will the US invade Venezuela? I somehow doubt it. More likely, America will seek to forrment rebellion, by supporting a group of seedy dissidents. This tactic is doomed to failure, but usually provides adequate short-term success, in terms of oil contracts and what not.

I suppose we'll have to see, but my guess is that no overt action will be taken against Venezuela.

join