It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: PETA Protesting Against KFC's Animal Cruelty

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Animal Rights campaigners for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have raised the stakes in their campaign against KFC. Protesters tried shock tactics outside KFC restaurants with models dressed as chickens smeared in blood and showing videos of animal cruelty. "That bird is having its thigh sliced open while fully conscious," narrated one PETA member whilst diners continued with their meals.

news.yahoo.com
The front lines of a high-stakes food fight moved recently to a sidewalk in front of a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant, where young volunteers from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals tried to shock and disgust lunch-hour patrons.

There was a PETA intern dressed in a bloodied chicken costume, a 22-year-old with shocking pink hair and the word "VEGAN" tattooed across her chest in gothic lettering, and campaign coordinator Ben Goldsmith with a flat-screen television strapped to his chest.

"That bird is having its thigh sliced open while fully conscious," Goldsmith said, narrating a grisly video as KFC customer Tiffany Mueller looked on, gnawing on a piece of chicken.

"It all tastes the same to me," Mueller said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well I would hardly class this behaviour as terrorism as we would be led to believe by the FBI. Animal rights activists are 'in your face' but I would hardly deem them a terrorist organisation.

If KFC is mistreating chickens then we should be told about it. If we dont listen we should be showed it. Thats what PETA is doing and I commend them on it.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
PETA does resort to tactics that are best described as terrorism. Not all members mind you but no doubt there are elements or cells if you will that go to extreme lengths. Like the environmental groups that are buring down houses and torching Hummer dealerships. Or the earth first nut jobs that are spiking trees etc.

Tomato tahmato, you can cloak it in all the nobility you want they still are terrorists.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   

PETA does resort to tactics that are best described as terrorism. Not all members mind you but no doubt there are elements or cells if you will that go to extreme lengths. Like the environmental groups that are buring down houses and torching Hummer dealerships. Or the earth first nut jobs that are spiking trees etc.

Tomato tahmato, you can cloak it in all the nobility you want they still are terrorists.

Maybe supporting these Animal Rights guys would now get you arrested under the new laws in the UK.....

I mean, someone calls someone else a terrorist, thats all it takes and you fall under the new legislation, wether or not you actually take part or even condone the actions of a few you are still supporting the cause/organisation......

Something to think about anyway!

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I'm so sick of PETA.
Animals are here for us to eat, and if they taste nicer when "tortured" then so be it. Chickens aren't here to get jobs and earn money, they're here to be eaten.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
While PETA really gripes my backside, in this particular instance they have something worth pursuing. The video was terrible. Yeah - we have to ring a chicken's neck and then process it to eat it, but we don't have to jump up and down on them (while they're alive) like we're a 5 year old in a moon-walk bouncy, and we don't have to throw them against walls and kick them.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Maybe supporting these Animal Rights guys would now get you arrested under the new laws in the UK.....

Depends on how ambiguous the wording is I suppose, but I would expect quite a broad spectrum of sentiments to be covered by any forthcoming legislation.

I'm so sick of PETA.
Animals are here for us to eat, and if they taste nicer when "tortured" then so be it. Chickens aren't here to get jobs and earn money, they're here to be eaten.

I must say that this philosophy, to me, is most shortsighted. Moral questions aside, treating animals simply as a commodity may lead to all sorts of problems when the inevitable 'pack-em-in, sell-em-cheap' attitude prevails. A prime example that springs to mind is the promotion of disease within tightly packed communities. The threat of bird flu should bring current animal husbandry practices into focus, in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I wont argue with that, but my rant was directed at thier whole agenda . Its way to preachy for my tastes and I have had my fill of them. My neighbor is a card carrying member and has called to police on me on several occasions. My crime? I was grilling in my backyard. The cops have to come out and once they stayed for lamb

As with every group some members seem to take things to far and perhaps taint the group as a whole.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Link to PETA KFC Expos'e

would like to state that in my opinion, PETA are potentially dangerous extremists..

Most people in this room understand that slavery is not over in America or the Western world or in the world in general. The animals are today's slaves."- Ingrid Newkirk PETA's president

-"Even if animal tests produced a cure for AIDS, we’d be against it."
- PETA President Ingrid Newkirk, September 1989, Vogue Magazine

Please check this link

At least one county in North Carolina has cut its relationship with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals after two PETA workers were arrested Wednesday for allegedly dumping animal carcasses into a trash container behind a grocery in Ahoskie , N.C.

what a bunch of hypocrites...

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   

As with every group some members seem to take things to far and perhaps taint the group as a whole.

Too true. As usual, the more extreme members are the most outspoken and so skew the whole argument. How is it that such a small number of people can have such a disproportionate effect???

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
It gets even easier to be deemed a group of nut-jobs, when your membership turns out to be by large...a bunch of nut-jobs. PETA has repeatedly shown that they place animals over humans...that tends to turn the majority of clear-thinking humans against them.

BUT, I'll say it again, in this particular instance they have a reason to pursue this. I haven't kept up with whether any action resulted from their charges against the KFC plant, but if

1. some people didn't get fired,
2. KFC didn't get fined,
3. KFC hasn't proven this doesn't happen anymore...

PETA is not acting extreme in pursuing the matter. I would go so far to say that if this has gone to court and the judge didn't include a mandate that a video monitoring system needed to be installed in that particular area of that plant, enough hasn't been done. The bottom line is that what was caught on that video is unacceptable behavior by the majority of us clear-minded people in the world.

You just don't do that.

[edit on 8-7-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Link

[edit on 7/8/05 by Klepto]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Oh I know klepto. I'm not defending PETA at all as far as their weird tactics. In fact, I think we'd all be a bit better off if all the PETA members would by themselves pet chickens and move off to some Doolittle-type commune in the mountains - never to be heard from again. They're tactics usually are never appropriate.

But the KFC thing bothers me as much as PETA does.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
PETA needs to realize that humans are evolutionary equipped to devour meat. It's in our genes. We have canines. We are literally built to eat animals.

The method in which the chicken is killed does not matter. Why? Because in the end, it's going to suffer the same faith. Death. Despite all the technological breakthroughs throughout the course of humantiy, we have not found a way to bypass this fact.

A chicken is going to die. PETA has to accept this fact. Ethical treatment of things that are destined to die is senseless. I mean, in order to comfort something before death just seems like the ultimate deception. Let them embrace their death.

It's the natural order of the world in which we live in.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Sim

Though PETA, of course, would want no chicken to die, or to be eaten, that is not their major grievance against KFC. And, of course, me being a very satisfied carnivore, it's not mine either. The video showed torture and abuse of live chickens. It showed actions that were unnecessary to the slaughter process. It showed some emotionally disturbed people doing unacceptable things.

That's the main beef (lol) against KFC.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'd have to say that I honestly have no problem with the "abuse" of chickens. The whole PETA arguement is a flaky emotional one at best. It's a "chicken are people too" kinda B.S. over-emotional, non-logical, irrational arguement.

Can anyone tell me why KFC is to blame? Aren't the chickens at a slaughter house to be, well, slaughtered? Killing animals is never pretty to watch and circulating a video of it does what? Fortunately sex with a chicken is illegal but I really can't say there is anything wrong with kicking around a chicken in a slaughter house. I wouldn't do it, but then again I wouldn't work at that kind of job.

Exactly what is PETA hoping to achieve by circulating this footage? Please don't give me that old "awareness" line, I think most people are already "aware" that slaughtering chickens is a nasty thing. So what is the point? Even if they get some people to stop going to KFC, those people are going to go looking for some tasty fried chicken somewhere and probably just go across the street to Popeye's anyway.

PETA was having a protest at a local KFC here in Central Florida last year and like 6 people were there. I happened to drive by after hearing about it on the radio (the DJ had some good jokes). The urge to do an L.A. gang style drive-by and pelt them with drumsticks and or a whole bucket of KFC was nearly irresistable. Too bad I was broke that day, not to mention just too damned apathetic. I did however have a fantasy on the way home of unleashing a viscious dog on the PETA people. Oh, the irony, PETA wierdo's mulled to death by dogs, dogs ripping into their weak bodies, weak from only having slight nourishment from organicaly grown soy products. But then I snapped back to reality and realized that dogs won't attack PETA people, the patchouli oil acts as a pepper spray type of defense.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
THere are cruelty to animal statues in every state and the videos clearly show this as stated above.

KFC does chose who it does business with and most commercial contracts do have "out" clauses if one party is doing things that are unethical. SO while KFC may not be directly responsable, as this supplier biggest customer, it has a huge amount of influence.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   

"It all tastes the same to me," Mueller said.

I especially enjoyed that line.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Oh, I'd agree that animal cruelty statutes are necessary and every state has them. My point, FredT, is that at some point people have to concede that those statutes cannot be applied to animals in a slaughter house. The mere act of killing the animals violates most of those statutes and therefore shouldn't apply in this case. It's not a dog kennel or pet grooming facility we are talking about is it? The whole purpose of a slaughter house is just that, SLAUGHTER.

While KFC does choose it's business partners, what exactly should be done? Have a KFC representative on hand at the slaughter houses to make sure the killing is done nicely? I'm sure the people who did the things on the tapes have been reprimanded. But then again, how hard is to find people with the ethical treatment of animals in mind to kill chickens all day for a paycheck? See my point? If you kill chickens all day, how strong is your desire to be nice to them?

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Right - you banged it home look. The point is they are there for slaughter, which can be achieved quickly and methodically. That process does not include kicking them like a football, bouncing them off walls like a ball, jumping on their live bodies like you're on a pogo stick.

There are things that are necessary and then there are things that are outright sick and disturbing. If we were talking about a municipal facility for putting away stray dogs and we had a video showing that prior to downing them the workers were kicking them across the room, throwing them repeatedly against walls, or jumping up and down on their live bodies, it would probably not be a matter of argument whatsoever. Because we don't eat dogs - they're our best friends, after all.

Point is - if an abusive action is not required during the slaughter process - DON'T DO IT. You're just being a sick bastard if you do!

[edit on 8-7-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Val, have you ever seen what is done to chickens before they are fed to large pet snakes? I have. They are usually beat in the head very hard to cause them to be confused so as not to peck at the snake when it moves in to consume it. Some people even clip the beaks first. Does that make the snake owner a sick bastard? Maybe.

I suppose if enough people get mad at the video then KFC will have to find a new supplier and PETA wins. Yeah PETA! No more kicking a chicken before you have to lob it's head of, pluck out the feathers and cut it into all those parts, remove the innards and seperate the guts for further processing.

I guess I'm trying to say that while kicking or throwing the chicken might not seem necessary, it may even be cruel, in the context of what it is those "sick bastards" do all day it's not really that sick.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join