It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physical evidence in support of a religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I would be really interested to hear why people have chosen the religion they currently follow.

Are you a believer in a particular religion because your family introduced you to it or have you come to a conclusion through examining evidence supporting the religion in question.

The main reason I ask is that I am trying to work out why people cannot be followers of multiple religions at the same time.

I have not come across anything to suggest that there is one specific religion that has a basis other than preaching second hand scriptures.

I am aware that the idea of religious beliefs is for a basis of morality and human function.

Is it therefore wrong to follow multiple religions if the basis of the religions were set up to guide people and inform them that it would be sinful to stray from this guiding moral path (straying which may include belief in other gods) if the other paths happen to be morally correct.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Christianity doesnt just teach morals. It shows that God is the source of those morals, and that we strayed from them.
The bible teaches that there is a consequence of sin. Death. Physical and for the soul. Thats the law. The way it is. But if just one person could be born without sin, and keep from sin, and offer themselves to pay the price of sin, then the law would be filled, and no one else would have to die if they chose to become adopted into that saviors family.

Christianity teaches that Jesus Christ paid that price. All who call on His name, and believe, will be saved. The bible also says that anyone who does not accept the sacrifice of Christ, is not saved and does not have God either. Very exclusive to say the least, but all inclusive for those who wish to be included, and strive to keep the word of Christ.

I tried to put this in lay terms, and hope Ive helped more then hindered.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klepto
I would be really interested to hear why people have chosen the religion they currently follow.

Well, first of all, I don't follow any certain religion. From all aspects, even the best one is, at best, superstitious politics, devised by a man for a man's purposes.

But I'm not putting anyone down for what they believe--because as someone once said (I can't recall who): all people have the right to form their own opinions. However, the other half of that is that none us have the right to make our own 'facts.' And that's what religion does--makes one man's, or one group's, opinions and beliefs into something they promote as fact.

Back to the subject--
Why I believe as I do is simply because I've just always felt certain things were undeniably true--even as a child. The first time I went to Sunday school and they spoke of Jesus, I remember I didn't feel surprise, but more of that little-kid smugness that you get when you bring your bodyguard to school and introduce him to the bullies. I don't think I could have not believed. My parents didn't force it on me, didn't talk about God much at all. I went to church growing up and never felt like they really knew what they were talking about. Their ideas of God and Jesus just didn't make sense. I didn't let those years indoctrinate me too much. And at 18 I quit going, simply because I didn't see what more I would get from going than I could by just living and loving and doing as He said--I can certainly read the bible without help of men and didn't worry if much didn't make sense.

In more recent years, my belief has been transformed to a state of knowing. God is real and He has revealed Himself to me in ways I could not describe in the space given on this board.

As far as physical proof-well, I have none personally. But proof is something I have been given by the transformation He's made in my life--and my family and close friends would verify that without hesitation. And the witness of my life changing in inexplicable ways has changed both the lives of my mom and my boyfriend--for the better. They saw, through me, that God is real just as I say.

IMO, in this area of belief-driven 'facts' which are impossible to prove in convential ways, the only proof is in the heart of the one who has proven God is real by allowing Him to demonstrate.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jake1997
Christianity doesnt just teach morals. It shows that God is the source of those morals, and that we strayed from them.
The bible teaches that there is a consequence of sin. Death. Physical and for the soul. Thats the law. The way it is. But if just one person could be born without sin, and keep from sin, and offer themselves to pay the price of sin, then the law would be filled, and no one else would have to die if they chose to become adopted into that saviors family.

Christianity teaches that Jesus Christ paid that price. All who call on His name, and believe, will be saved. The bible also says that anyone who does not accept the sacrifice of Christ, is not saved and does not have God either. Very exclusive to say the least, but all inclusive for those who wish to be included, and strive to keep the word of Christ.

I tried to put this in lay terms, and hope Ive helped more then hindered.

And all those who strive to keep the word of Christ has led to multiple splinter labels of Christianity.

It has been Christians opinions on the difference of interpritations of the word that has directly led to so many Christian religions. I believe this was the point the original poster was eluding to. So, why then are we all punished by death, billions upon billions have died since Jesus came, which means they must all have it wrong, because they are still being punished by death.

The bible teaches that there is a consequence of sin. Death. Physical and for the soul. Thats the law.

If we are still enduring the consequence of sin (death), then by your interpritation of the law, we must still be sinning against the true nature of the law of GOD, and we must still be on the wrong path.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
The reason I trust in the Bible is because of things that happen in my life. I have had what some would say is a hard life. I am not one to believe in Ca when iditses (sorry about the spelling) Sometimes things just dont happen with out a reason.

new topics

top topics

join