It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Blair Wants Islamic Politcal Parties Banned

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Tony Blair called for the banning of two Islamic groups yesterday. But the groups he wants banned are not terrorist organisations but British political parties. Hizb ut-Tahrir and Al Muhajiroun are British Islamic political parties who denounced the recent London bombings and have not incited violence. The groups have reacted angrily and claimed that the Prime Minister is trying to silence legal political debate. Dr. Waheed, Hizb ut-Tahrir party spokesperson said "Placing a ban on a political party with a 50-year history of non-violence will lead many to question the talk of freedom of speech, tolerance, people power, human rights and democracy."

news.bbc.co.uk
A Muslim political party has reacted angrily to Prime Minister Tony Blair's calls for it to be banned.

Hizb ut-Tahrir said his decision on Friday was a move designed to curb legal Islamic political debate.

Party spokesman Dr Imran Waheed denounced the 7 July London bombings and said the party was committed to peaceful political campaigning.

Mr Blair had banned membership of the group alongside that of another party, Al Muhajiroun.

Mr Blair's plans were outlined alongside a raft of proposals to extend powers to deport or exclude foreigners accused of encouraging terrorism.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

How dare Tony Blair do this. There is no proof of these political groups breaking the law. If we have these two parties banned there will be the same cause to ban all Islamic political parties here in Britain.

There was no banning of Sinn Fein and they WERE connected to a terrorist organisation. The very same day Tony Blair called for the banning of these two peaceful political parties he met with Gerry Adams at Downing Street.

If anything, lately, we've seen that the only way to end prolonged terrorist campaigns is through political debate and means. Banning groups who legally challenge the government is attrocious. It was not reported at the time that the Islamic groups Blair wanted banned were (well established) political parties. I just assumed, like most people, that the Islamic sounding groups were terrorist organisation. We've been had AGAIN!

[edit on 6/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This is why I am concerned about this new "law". The Government has given itself, with no obvious consultation with other parties or the public, wide-reaching powers to challenge anyone who may speak out against them....

Palpatine anyone?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Isn't one of these parties one of those that called for the imposition of Sharia Law on Britain?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This is just sick and wrong. I can't believe that Blair actually wants to ban Islamic parties from goverment. Normally I'd agree with this, but only if he banned all religious parties. However in this instance he's singling out Islamic parties which makes this entire thing flat out wrong.

Seriously I hope that Blair doesn't win another term. I've seen my British friends suffereing a lot under his regime. Countless weapons bans, banning hoodies, banning replica weapons, massive budget cuts to the MOD, etc. I haven't seen Blair to a single thing right, and thats coming from an American under the Bush administration, now that is just sad.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Islam isn't truly Islam without Sharia law. This is why having an Islamic political party is so dangerous. It is not unreasonable to believe that with enough momentum Sharial law could eventually be imposed. I believe Blair is Right!

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Yes well if he's going to ban things like this then why not ban all those groups who think Islam should be banned? Theres a lot of other extremist religious groups out there, and a lot of them aren't Islamic. So why single out an Islamic party?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
In a society you act on what is best for the MAJORITY. I dont blame Blair one bit. Im sure the brits dont want even a miniscule chance of a muslim party coming into ANY sort of power.

You want a mosque, go ahead! You want to drop to the ground every hour and pray to Allah, be my guest. Want to hold office in a democratic society? Try it somewhere in arabia, and when THAT is a success, perhaps we can consider something else.

Its the muslims of the world who have something to prove to rest of us. Id make em all start at ground level and work their way back up.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Islam isn't truly Islam without Sharia law

The Qu'ran does not support Sharia Law; Sharia is dogma created thereafter for more control of followers by rulers with thier own accord. It's tatamount to the Nicean Creed, something which Jesus does not advocate, but Catholic dogma vehemently does.

This is why having an Islamic political party is so dangerous. It is not unreasonable to believe that with enough momentum Sharial law could eventually be imposed. I believe Blair is Right!

The Sharia you speak of contradicts and clashes with the constitutional rights of Brits in the U.K; there is absolutely no possibility that it would be adhered in the U.K. These Islamic parties for the past 50 years have commited what crimes other than fullfilling thier freedom of speech and organization? None, and sadly, it has become unfortunate that persons associate Islamic parties with terrorist cells.

Want to hold office in a democratic society? Try it somewhere in arabia, and when THAT is a success, perhaps we can consider something else.

That's bigoted, my young freind, and obviously emobered in a mind which does not understand the democracy he holds so dear. Anyone and everyone has the right to political power in a democracy, regardless of thier social status, race, and creed.

Luxifero

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
spliff4020, can you leave your xenophobic rhetoric for the yahoo! news forums please? I dont want to read it.

Muslims have as much place in our democratic society than any one else. Christianity is rife amongst the American political scene. Is that wrong? Im not a christian and dont believe in having their "morals" imposed on me. Should we ban christians from holding office? How absurd!

And no hands some of them advocate sharia law in muslim countries. Not Britain.

The party has campaigned for the introduction of sharia law in all Muslim countries, and has been banned in several states.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Shariah law also doesnt have to be present in all muslim countries. That statement is a lie.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Umm - it seems as though Blair is getting more reactionary by the minute....

Why hasn't he called for the banning of the BNP?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
ya, theres a huge gap in the political scene which craves women with their heads covered and public beheadings...hell lets all jump on the 15th century band wagon.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   

ya, theres a huge gap in the political scene which craves women with their heads covered and public beheadings...hell lets all jump on the 15th century band wagon.

You're generalizing Muslims into one category of brutality which is ebetted by the Bush and Blair administration viz the Saud Monarchs and the Taliban of former glory. Blair is a hypocrite by the very fact that he has not spoken out against the Monarchy which allows women to be opressed and dissented against. I'm sure you will forgo this, however.

Do also take note of the many sects of Islam which do not require women to veil themselves, or endorse beheadings; and I hardly believe that a country like Turkey. which is a Muslim democratic majority, would even allow such opression.

Luxifero

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'd like to see all politcal parties that claim to be linked with any religion banned. I don't need anyone to tell me how I'm going to hell or how my ways are wrong. I simply don't care if I am wrong. besides the drummer from def lepard only has one arm!

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
your right...i am generalizing them. Why not? Turkey? oh that powerhouse of technological advancements. Untill this situation is under control, I wouldnt take my eyes off of them. But hey, maybe, one day when someone you know is killed by this manner, you'll feel differently.

I havent seen many nonmuslims blowing themselves up though. Hmmm...I dont care about their feelings. Maybe if the "clerics" help out and throw us some, sentiments will change.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Hizb ut-Tahrir and Al Muhajiroun are British Islamic political parties who denounced the recent London bombings and have not incited violence

As i said yesterday, i remember Skynews had an article about Hizb ut-Tahrir. Hizb ut-Tahrir are banned in most countries according to Skynews.

Al Muhajiroun (a political party?) which has publically stated, ITV news has the evidence, of them threatening terrorist acts against the UK if troops were not removed from Iraq. Plus, how can we forget the case of two suicide bombers from the UK who travelled to Israel? both were members of Al Muhajiroun.

Ban the BNP? you have all misread this move by Blair, this move is to stop their support growing. Haven't you notice the conservatives have gone nationalist aswell? (faith,flag,family)plus they are starting to use certain policies like the BNP?. The government is basically taking BNP policis, making them respectful and using them so no one in the UK turns to the BNP.

Second point, BBC this morning ran a special slot with a guest who stated the only reason Blair did this was because the British people (including the muslim community) wanted tough measures. Blair caved in and gave them this.

As i said in another thread, whats more worrying, the government killing democracy or the people of the nation killing democracy?

And the main point you have all missed. Israel. UK supports Israel in numerous ways.

Both groups think Israel are occupying palestine and are strongly against Israel.

At the end of the day, the muslim community makes up 2.7% of the UK. And only a small,small section support these groups. Muslims agree that the government should do something about them. But if you want my opinion, these groups were mainly banned because of their views on Israel.

[edit]

The reason the BNP will never get banned is simple. One of their councilors is Jewish and the BNP does have support in the non-white community. Plust the BNP has setup support groups for non-whites.

National Front will probably get banned because they like to march to Mosques and throw stones at them. But BNP? nahhh, it has powerful friends.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Oh, here is why al-Muhajiroun probably got banned.

"We must act now and rise against the presence of Israelis in Muslim countries and close down their illegitimate embassies and companies." The document concludes, "The Jihad against the Jews occupying Palestine will continue until they withdraw completely from the whole of Palestine."

www.ict.org.il...

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
"muslim political party" is an oxymoron in its self. What agenda do they have? Do the MAJORITY of brits want em around? We still have communists here in america, yet you wont see one on a debate during election time. Its a waste of time and effort. These people are even lower than that. Go praise Allah or whatever you want, but hold office? lololololololol

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   

your right...i am generalizing them. Why not?

Let me ask you, did you support Hitlers view of the Jews, and if so, did you believe the holocaust to be justified therein?

I wouldnt take my eyes off of them. But hey, maybe, one day when someone you know is killed by this manner, you'll feel differently.

No, I will not; I would rather contemplate the situation which elevated these acts of consequence, a more logical and reasonable avenue, rather than embowering myself in an ignorant absolutist mentality. There are reasons why terrorists are terrorists; and there is a reason why they continue to 'blow themselves up'. Maybe if we adressed these issues instead of droping bombs on unsuspecting innocents, we could subdue them for some time.

I havent seen many nonmuslims blowing themselves up though. Hmmm...I dont care about their feelings. Maybe if the "clerics" help out and throw us some, sentiments will change.

They don't need to, they have billions of dollars worth of military equipent in lieu.

"muslim political party" is an oxymoron in its self. What agenda do they have? Do the MAJORITY of brits want em around? We still have communists here in america, yet you wont see one on a debate during election time. Its a waste of time and effort. These people are even lower than that. Go praise Allah or whatever you want, but hold office? lololololololol

Once again, you're talking nonsense which holds absolutely no level of intelligence. My younger 15 year old brother understands the rights instituted in a democracy, as to why you cannot is beyond me. The majority of Brits do want Muslims around, and the majority of Brits have allowed them to stay around.

How exactly are Muslims lower than communists?

You sound like a xenophobic bigot.

Luxifero.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Let me ask you, did you support Hitlers view of the Jews, and if so, did you believe the holocaust to be justified therein?

No, Im just tired of everyone throwin around Hitlerisms to anything political that they disagree with. If you cant see the difference between 7 million dead jews, and banning a radical muslim group, then you got problems.

No, I will not; I would rather contemplate the situation which elevated these acts of consequence, a more logical and reasonable avenue, rather than embowering myself in an ignorant absolutist mentality. There are reasons why terrorists are terrorists; and there is a reason why they continue to 'blow themselves up'. Maybe if we adressed these issues instead of droping bombs on unsuspecting innocents, we could subdue them for some time.

So when your mother/father or whomever gets killed by a terrorist on the way to work one morning your going to contemplate why it happened and try to understand what motivated them to kill your loved one, right?.....either thats total BS or your one of the weakest people Ive ever talked to on here.

Once again, you're talking nonsense which holds absolutely no level of intelligence. My younger 15 year old brother understands the rights instituted in a democracy, as to why you cannot is beyond me. The majority of Brits do want Muslims around, and the majority of Brits have allowed them to stay around.

Well can junior understand what the difference between radical and practicing is? I never said "kill all the muslims", but I do think that the majority of Brits have the right to self govern with out Allah screwin it up.

How exactly are Muslims lower than communists?

Communits work for the good of the country. Not the praise of "allah"

You sound like a xenophobic bigot.

You sound like someone who wants to have lunch with the people who murdered his loved one, so you 2 can discuss why it was neccesary. Grow a spine.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
You're entire debate revolves around your personal belief, beyond this, you have no logical evidence to support any of your claims. As for me growing a spine, I do have one, one grown from my many experiences with members of society far and wide; it's this spine that allows me to stand straight; your spine is obviously bent, hence your ability to see only your foot.

No, Im just tired of everyone throwin around Hitlerisms to anything political that they disagree with. If you cant see the difference between 7 million dead jews, and banning a radical muslim group, then you got problems.

No, I think you don't understand 'Hitlerism'; and more importantly, you don't understand Fascism. The motifs of Blair and Bush have been perfunctory to that of Hitler, ergo, the much anticipated reaction be persons the world over. It matters not how many Jews you kill, but when you label them as them heretic through legality and legislation, you cross a line which shall not ever be crossed.

I also find it humorous that you question by ability to discern, when you yourself cannot discern an average Muslim with an extremist.

Luxifero

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join