It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only One Child Allowed in China? Is This True?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I have read that a person is only allowed to have 1 child in China. Is this true?

If so, what happens if a woman gets pregnant again?
What about if a child dies, can she have another?

I had no idea about this restriction and would like to know more about it. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Pretty much.
This article below may be of interest to you.

China's One-Child Policy Tips Scales: 25 Million Men Could Remain Single

seekerof

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Yes it's true which is going to kill China eventually. They consider men to be worth more then women so if the first baby is a female they would kill it untill they had a male. Now if 85% do this there are like a million men to one woman. Basically China will become the largest gay population in the world since they won't have any women to be with.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I'm not really sure if it will somehow spur a mass revolution of homosexuality, but it may beat done the population a tad bit.

lol.

Luxifero.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
What if a woman gets pregnant again? Is the government forcing abortions or what?

I'm researching but haven't found anything on this yet.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I found this:

The "one-child" policy is not a law, as most people think it is, "it is a policy enforced by the system of punishments"
China's One-Child Policy

So they don't force abortions. Yet.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I found this:

The "one-child" policy is not a law, as most people think it is, "it is a policy enforced by the system of punishments"
China's One-Child Policy

Oh yes, they do.

The system goes like this:

- One child allowed per couple.
- Farmers exempted
- Visible minorities (Mau, Lai etc.) also exempted
- Need to apply for permission before having a child. Regular visit by commune "watcher" to ensure the girl's period is here.
- If unplanned or unauthorized child is coming, wife is "persuaded" to have an abortion, immediately.
- If refused, grave consequences: Lost job, lost residency in district, lost housing and medical benefit, and heavy fine etc.
- Strict enforcement in urban area, especially the big cities; somewhat relaxed in smaller communities. That's why when you go to the parks in Shanghai on Sundays, you will see nothing but one child with each family.

Historically, family who wanted another child would send the wife off to a village (or some small rural area) to hide until the child is born, then come back and face the music. But third term enforced abortion (when and if the wife is found "in time") is common place.

These terms usually apply to government workers, who rely on the CCP to provide for everything. As for the new generation of financially independent Chinese, they would simply pay the (relatively minimal) fine, have the baby, and get on with their life.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I remember hearing that if not for the Black Plague, Europe would be in a similar situation today. So I suppose there's some advantages to never taking baths and living in your own filth eh?

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Now if 85% do this there are like a million men to one woman. Basically China will become the largest gay population in the world since they won't have any women to be with.

?????

That doesn't seem to follow.

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
One of the HUGE problem with this %$#@$^%&#* policy is that in 15-20 years, the population in China is actually going to shrink. With the baby boom generation fast retiring, there will NOT be enough working bees to go around. Our demographic pictures sucks.

China will actually run out of available workers in about 30 years. The medical services will be swamped, and the service industry will be in total chaos.

If you look at India, their demographic picture is MUCH BETTER. They will have enough workers for the next 20-40 years. They will be hugely overpopulated, but they will have no worker problems.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigFatApe

Oh yes, they do.

Uh... BigFatApe (sorry) you seem pretty sure of your statements. Do you live in China or are you sure of these policies or do you have a source that I could check out?

Forcing abortions seems, I don't know, pretty drastic. Considering the continuing 'fight' in the US for choice, I just wonder if China is participating in the other side of the 'choice' coin.

In other words, many here (in the US) would like to take away the choice to have an abortion from women and I'm wondering if in China, they have in some cases taken away the choice NOT to have one.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
i also believe that it was common practice that if a husband and wife were only aloud one child, and the child born was a girl, usually the husband would kill their daughter as a son is more important.

not sure if this is still happening today or if it was a long time ago...

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I don't have any links from the Chinese Government stating that forced abortion is an official policy but I can give you one from outside China.

From the USA's 2002 Human Rights Report:

The Government did not permit independent domestic nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) to monitor human rights conditions. Violence against women (including imposition of a birth limitation policy coercive in nature that resulted in instances of forced abortion and forced sterilization), prostitution, discrimination against women, abuse of children, and discrimination against persons with disabilities and minorities all were problems. In Xinjiang, where security remained tight, human rights abuses intensified.

This is another good source of information on the subject that is more current:

China: Human Rights Violations And Coercion In One-Child Policy Enforcement - Hearing before the US Committee on International Relations - Dec 14, 2004

posted on Sep, 18 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Oh yes, they do.

The human rights issue in China is simply unbelievably bad. All you have to do is to view the following:

www.time.com...

It sounds unreal, but unfortunately . . .

BTW, I do not live in China but I travel there frequently and had heard things ten times worse than the above. Oh, yes, it IS possible . . .

Mod Edit: Cleaned up large quote

[edit on 9/20/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Uh... BigFatApe (sorry) you seem pretty sure of your statements. Do you live in China or are you sure of these policies or do you have a source that I could check out?

Forcing abortions seems, I don't know, pretty drastic. Considering the continuing 'fight' in the US for choice, I just wonder if China is participating in the other side of the 'choice' coin.

In other words, many here (in the US) would like to take away the choice to have an abortion from women and I'm wondering if in China, they have in some cases taken away the choice NOT to have one.

Yes, what BigFatApe posted is true.But we get another problem now that our traditional conception of family connection faces breakdown.It's terrible.

Mod Edit: Cleaned up large quote

[edit on 9/20/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I've heard that lots of Chinese women abort girls (wonder what the feminists think of THAT).

What they don't seem to realize is that you can't have everyone having a boy and expect to continue the population. Girls are needed too!

They'd probably take all the single guys and use them in the army or something, who knows.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
China is a good example when population exceeded natural resources.

But then again I guess we can save all the unwanted people and bring them here to the US so they can reproduce freely. Right?

I wonder what pro-lifers will feel about that one.

[edit on 1-10-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
China is a good example when population exceeded natural resources.

But then again I guess we can save all the unwanted people and bring them here to the US so they can reproduce freely. Right?

I wonder what pro-lifers will feel about that one.

[edit on 1-10-2005 by marg6043]

Actually, as far as the birth rate goes, the worldwide average is BELOW replacement level. Yes, the population will steadily go up the next few decades--and it'll be followed by a sharp drop.

So overpopulation is just another myth.

Did you know that you could fit the entire world population in Texas without overcrowding? So there's plenty of room.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amethyst
Actually, as far as the birth rate goes, the worldwide average is BELOW replacement level. Yes, the population will steadily go up the next few decades--and it'll be followed by a sharp drop.

So overpopulation is just another myth.

Did you know that you could fit the entire world population in Texas without overcrowding? So there's plenty of room.

Do you have any sources for this? I'd really be interested to know how we could fit the entire world population in Texas without overcrowding.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Do you have any sources for this?

Certainly. Click here.

And it's not a pro-life site, if you're worried about "bias."

top topics

<<   2 >>

join