It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Backs Peaceful Iranian Nuclear Program

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

Erm...well, that didn't work

Iran has rejected the latest European proposals for resolving concerns over the country's nuclear programme.

The US had backed the package, which includes a proposal to let Iran develop a civilian nuclear programme if it halts uranium enrichment activities.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Not only didn't it work, it failed almost a week ago according to this ATSNN Article

Nice move, offering the olive branch once there's no chance of it being accepted. It's on the record though...

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Well, seeings the EU had emergency meetings after the attacks on London, i think you can't blame EU countries for having their minds on something else.

The statement Iran released last week was a planned statement to grab the worlds attention. And it worked. EU offered a deal, which Iran was believed to have wanted.

If Iran was serious about having a peaceful nulcear program, it would not of rejected the EU plan that offered a peaceful plan with EU and Russian aid. Also the US would of giving aid aswell to help them construct a peaceful nuclear program.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by infinite]

[edit on 6-8-2005 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
What a good thread, by and large very informed and astute. Hardly any sensationalistic rubbish.

There are obvious reasons why the Iranians would want nuclear power. The United States domestically produces almost half of the petroleum it consumes yet it has many nuclear power plants. Its a cheap form of fuel (once running) and is vastly more environmentally friendly compared to fossil fuels.

Also the Iranians backed the Kyoto agreement which shows atleas some consideration of global warming. Which I might add the United States does not.

Another economic reason for Iran wanting to sell more fossil fuels whilst using nuclear power for its domestic enery needs, is that it is under American sanctions. It needs all the hard currency it can get to increase its economy. The hottest commodity we have is oil. It makes sense that they'd want to sell it for increasingly higher prices than burn it at home.

Also as said earlier, the Iranians have ALWAYS cooperated with the IAEA. They have never been found in breach of the NPT and the United States has given absolutely no supporting evidence that they are indeed pursuing nuclear weapons. Hearsay and conjecture is not a legal basis for introducing sanctions.

Again, as said before, the Iranians would be suicidal to aim for nuclear weapons for offensive purposes. They would do better to launch a conventional attack on the Israelis. If the Iranians used nuclear weapons first they would be reduced to glass in mere hours. Who doesnt know this to be a concrete fact? They might have a theocratic government but they arent retarded. Why would they risk their holy sites and mosques for a suicidal strike on their other holy sites in Jerusalem? Wiping out the Temple Mount would not be acceptable to the Ayatollahs.

Yet all these facts are simply ignored because the Bush administration has unsubstanitated claims that the Iranians are pursuing nuclear weapons technology. Its just not how things go. The World barely believed the United States when it was proving how Saddam had WMDs. Atleast with Iraq we were shown "evidence". This time the World simply wont trust the Americans again.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Yet all these facts are simply ignored because the Bush administration has unsubstanitated claims that the Iranians are pursuing nuclear weapons technology. Its just not how things go. The World barely believed the United States when it was proving how Saddam had WMDs. Atleast with Iraq we were shown "evidence". This time the World simply wont trust the Americans again.

Good points.

As for the above it would seem as if Europe is just as intent on Iran suspending activity as the U.S. is though, they are just not being as vocal about it. Why else would they be in these negotioations? Something weird is going on here for sure. IMHO-Looks like another show to sell another war to me, just better produced this time.

Whats that? Are those drums I hear...........

[edit on 6-8-2005 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin
As for the above it would seem as if Europe is just as intent on Iran suspending activity as the U.S. is though, they are just not being as vocal about it. Why else would they be in these negotioations? Something weird is going on here for sure. IMHO-Looks like another show to sell another war to me, just better produced this time.

Whats that? Are those drums I hear...........

Ah thats a good point as well.

It could very well be that the Iranians are wanting to get nuclear weapons. That wont make me lose sleep though. The Iranians have the right to remove themselves from the NPT when ever they wish if they feel it is in their best interests ala Americans in the ABM treaty. They are just as entitled to the deterent provided by nuclear weapons as the USA, Britain, China, France, Russia, India, Pakistan and North Korea.

If the United States had removed all its nuclear weapons as prescribed by the NPT in the 40 years since signing it then they would have every reason to blast the Iranians for going nuclear. But that never happend, they made token gestures to lessen their nuclear weapons from being able to kill the World dozens of times over to just a couple of times over. Im sure the Iranians feel safe in that knowledge.

I always had suspicions that the Iranians probably were going nuclear but until I see proof I wont start saying they are. The Europeans could very well just be helping the Iranians help themselves with concreting the fact that they are peaceful in their nuclear programme. Maybe the Europeans learned that the Americans/British will push ahead with invasions with even the most marginal "proof" of WMD's. This way the Europeans can stave off any invasion based on lies.

But they can have them for all I care. The World wont be any more dangerous than it already is. Infact the Iranians getting nuclear weapons will probably reduce the likelyhood of another War in the next couple of years

[edit on 6/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz

I always had suspicions that the Iranians probably were going nuclear but until I see proof I wont start saying they are. The Europeans could very well just be helping the Iranians help themselves with concreting the fact that they are peaceful in their nuclear programme. Maybe the Europeans learned that the Americans/British will push ahead with invasions with even the most marginal "proof" of WMD's. This way the Europeans can stave off any invasion based on lies.
[edit on 6/8/05 by subz]

I don't know, it would seem as if Europe is in a win win situation. If Iran gets nukes, staves off U.S invasion, then there is a possibility that they will convert their sale of oil to Euro's . Conversely if they accepted the recent E.U proposal it would of forced Iran into a consumer position relying on Russia and other western nations for fuel (to purchase at a reasonable cost of course) to support their nuclear cycle. (that's why they want them to suspend conversion)

It seems to me as if the west is holding a grudge for having to deal with the Middle east this long. Now that they want something that we can produce we are trying to force them into a situation similar to ours over the past few years, a position that nature had more to do with than politics actually.

Who knows though sometimes I honestly think this is just another cold war scam, intended on sapping resources for another fifty years or so. Or until the war mongers actually blow us all up.

As for the Iranian side it would be political suicide if they have NOT been enriching uranium this whole time, which incidentally could account for the US all of a sudden backing off. For anyone to assume that they actually have ceased operations is naive. I don'nt know about you, but if a nuclear nation was threatening me for the last fifty years, and I stumbled upon nuclear technology- I would tell them whatever they wanted to hear, so long as it bought me enough time to research and develop a bomb. If Iran has not done this, then they are foolish as a nation and deserve extermination (half serious)

I dont know though, like I said the whole thing seems rotten to me.....
"Is it me...or are those drums getting louder?"

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I don'nt know about you, but if a nuclear nation was threatening me for the last fifty years, and I stumbled upon nuclear technology- I would tell them whatever they wanted to hear, so long as it bought me enough time to research and develop a bomb. If Iran has not done this, then they are foolish as a nation and deserve extermination (half serious)

The North Koreans did exactly that and for the same reasons. Something which is lost on the Bush administration. Nuclear weapons are deterents, the only country that has used them in anger is the United States. A fact that is quite conveniently glossed over when refering to how certain people are that Iran will launch their nukes the moment they get them.

I dont know though, like I said the whole thing seems rotten to me.....
"Is it me...or are those drums getting louder?"

I think its just you

Who ever said that the NWO are backing off on a War with Iran are pretty much correct. The rhetoric has changed in Washington and I feel the Iranians will get the time needed to produce nuclear weapons - if that is their aim.

When they obtain nuclear weapons there will be a lot of "i told you so's!" but not much else. The Iranians will not launch their nukes. The Americans will not have the intestinal fortitude to invade Iran. Iran might start trading in Euro's and the World economy will change dramatically.

Watch for the price of gold rising and apparent radical economic policies coming from the Whitehouse.

[edit on 6/8/05 by subz]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Who ever said that the NWO are backing off on a War with Iran are pretty much correct. The rhetoric has changed in Washington and I feel the Iranians will get the time needed to produce nuclear weapons - if that is their aim.

I hope we don't go to war with Iran but........

If you remember , we (the US) said we were going to give weapons inspectors in Iraq the time to do their job as well...Then Mr. "Uncle Tom of the Century" hit the security council about mobile biological weapons facilities powered by stolen flux capacitors, or whatever.

And look where we are at now. Sometimes I think we won't go to war, sometimes I do. Oft I am reminded about how no one thought hitler would take on the eastern front.....I could see Iran being our ëastern front"

I hope not though.
[edited for additional point, and to be nicer to Mr. Powell]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I hope we don't go to war with Iran but........

If you remember , we (the US) said we were going to give weapons inspectors in Iraq the time to do their job as well...Then Mr. "Uncle Tom of the Century" hit the security council about mobile biological weapons facilities powered by stolen flux capacitors, or whatever.

And look where we are at now. Sometimes I think we won't go to war, sometimes I do. Oft I am reminded about how no one thought hitler would take on the eastern front.....I could see Iran being our ëastern front"

I hope not though.

I hope so too. If there were more Americans with your attitude the chances of War would be much slimmer indeed

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join