It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the metterniche stela of egypt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
on the reverse of a stela titled the metternich or magickal stela that portrays both the death and birth of horus pay attention to the top of the stela where the king figure is standing and being praised by the 2 horus eyes. make a long story short turn this upside down and you can see a big angry god face with its lips speared shut ready to eat the king and poop him out into the abyss, yeah it sounds crazy but ive been noticeing alot of particular egyptian artworks that when inverted tell a whole other story, as is above so is below, hope this helps someone out even if it sounds childish and primitive

as well the symbolic tieing of the nile connecting north and south egypt you'll notice 2 fat guy tieing the ropes turn them upside down and their stomaches become incan looking faces with headresses performing a castration.

i know this is all a bit far fetched but maby it means something. ive noticev that through much egyptian art if inverted it still makes sense but in a new metaphoric way.

not saying any of this is truth so do the research and take it with a grain of salt all art is open to opinion even if some seem very logical

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Sounds interesting, but could you post a pic to clarify your post.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
as soon as i can find one clear enough i will, if you stop by your local book store in the meantime tho there is a pic of it in the book title Legends of the egyptian gods be E.A. Wallis Budge. but ill see what i can find

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I wish I could just go to a bookstore; Unfortunately, I live in Okinawa. I'm not fluent in Japanese so I'm screwed in that aspect.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
ouch yeah that does hinder things doesnt it. ill see what i can do tho

for some reason you can find the steal online but not the reverse side. and not any very clear pictures of it either

[edit on 5-8-2005 by Annacryst]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seeking Nirvana
I wish I could just go to a bookstore; Unfortunately, I live in Okinawa. I'm not fluent in Japanese so I'm screwed in that aspect.

Have you asked about the possibility of ordering books? If you've got the author or IBSN you may have a shot.
I've been able to obtain out of print books (ones which were never very popular) and such with a little trying, so it could be worth a shot.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I've thought about ordering books through the BX (Air Force) as well as the PX (Marines and Army); However, they charge a crazy amount to do so, and they also ask that you buy in bulk.
I've tried to order online, but some companies won't ship overseas because they have a contract with AAFES (company that runs the BX and PX) stating that they won't sell their products to servicemembers that are overseas.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Sorry, double post.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by Seeking Nirvana]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
There's pictures of the drawings here:
www.earth-history.com...

These are "cippi"-- talismans to protect the house from crocodiles (among other things... and yes, that really WAS a danger back in those days. Remember that they lived near the rivers, and maurauding crocs would amble around looking for an easy midnight snack).

TourEgypt has a good description of what's on the stele:
www.touregypt.net...

Note to all -- the drawing of the Metternich Stele is just that: a drawing. It's not a substitute for a photograph. There are some irregularities in the way things are drawn and some of the proportions may not be photograph-exact.

As to the other things showing up, it's like seeing pictures in clouds. You can make your brain interpret one drawing as something else, but that doesn't mean it's really there.

[edit on 7-8-2005 by Byrd]

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
indeed that would be it. wish it was bigger tho and its near impossible to find a picture of the reverse side tho not the front, wonder why

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Let me go WAY out on a limb here. Maybe nobody is taking pictures of the back because there is not really anything on the back? Just a thought. I'm guessing obviously, but it makes a certain level of sense.

You'd think that somebody in archaeology would know about it, and just might be talking about it online otherwise, wouldn't you? So if you don't mind me asking, is anybody other than crystallinks and the rest (ie: somebody mainstream) talking at all about anything on the back of the metterniche stela?

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
E.A. Wallis budge mentions it quite thoroughly in his book Legends of the Egyptian gods, wich is not metaphysical, its actually wirrten for serious egyptologists. 1930's i believe as well hes written many well credited books on egyptian anthropology ect

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Let me go WAY out on a limb here. Maybe nobody is taking pictures of the back because there is not really anything on the back? Just a thought. I'm guessing obviously, but it makes a certain level of sense.

No, if you checked the cyrstallinks, you'd see that it has both a front and a back side, and on the back is the story of Horus and the crocodiles (the stuff that's depicted on the front.)

Here's the Budge translation with drawings:
www.earth-history.com...

You'd think that somebody in archaeology would know about it, and just might be talking about it online otherwise, wouldn't you? So if you don't mind me asking, is anybody other than crystallinks and the rest (ie: somebody mainstream) talking at all about anything on the back of the metterniche stela?

Well, not that I can see... but that's because it was an early find of archaeologists in Egypt (and the translation was by Budge The Relatively Inept). After a flurry where his translation went through some corrections (as more stuff showed up and translators got a better understanding of what was being written.) It seems to show up from time to time in papers (not in English):

www3.interscience.wiley.com...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

It probably shows up as a minor citation in books about Egypt or the gods or such.

More than you might possibly care to know about it:
www.virtual-egypt.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annacryst

not saying any of this is truth so do the research and take it with a grain of salt all art is open to opinion even if some seem very logical

The trouble is, Egyptian art was basically like comic book art. You had your picture and then you had a lot of text with things like dialogue balloons and all.

So you're like trying to take a Doonesbury cartoon and turn it upside down and make the picture of Zonker into an ancient Mayan corn god. It doesn't make sense to do this and in fact it leads you to wrong conclusions (Zonker is not an ancient Mayan corn god and Trudeau isn't an expert on Mayan culture.)

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
That's what I get for guessing. Suppose I should have paid a little closer attention. I'll just crawl under the rug and be very still for a while. Try not to trip over me.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
just one of those wierd things you notice. like i said it also happen with the tieing off of the nile uniteing upper and lower egypt. As Below so Above

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annacryst
E.A. Wallis budge mentions it quite thoroughly in his book Legends of the Egyptian gods, wich is not metaphysical, its actually wirrten for serious egyptologists.

Yes, it was, but I'm afraid his work was characterized by more enthusiasm than scholarship. He discovered that there was a LOT of money in publishing -- more than there was in archaeology -- and worked on cranking out popularized books for the masses. He never bothered to learn the new and updated grammars and word signs that would have made his work correct even back then.

As the British Museum said:

Today, University students are strongly advised not to use them, because of their basic errors of fact and methodology.

For this same reason the Department of Ancient Egypt and Sudan does not include any of Budge's books on its recommended reading list. Budge's works are still in print, but this is because they are out of copyright, and so the text can be cheaply reprinted. While they are well illustrated, full of information and extremely cheap, they are at best unreliable, and usually misleading.

www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk...

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
ahh that i was unaware of but thanks you may have saved me alot of headache

top topics

join