It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Jesus a Christian? Is being a Jew a matter of race or religion?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

According to my dictionary a Christian is "someone who believes in and follows the teachings of Jesus Christ". So I think it's fairly safe to say that Jesus was a Christian, as were his disciples etc. .

Sorry, but if one reads deeply the words of Jesus he was hesitant about "religion" himself for the connotations thereof.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
my pov on this is that Jesus was indeed a jew ans probably a rabbi , his intimate knowledge of the torah being quite a proof

other point what is the christian church if not a successful jewish cult (this is not meant to be a negative critic ) , the christian church as we know it did not exist before the 3rd or 4th century
what is it that makes christianity and judaism "different" if not the NT (microsoft tried to come up with a new version but their first release wasn't to succesful
)and we all agree the NT was written quite a time after jesus had "left the building" .

now just a short comment on the "race" matter if hebrews are a race , what are ethiopian jews ? they are black africans and jewish ..... anyway there's only one human race even if we do not always get along

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Jesus was born jew, but just because you are born that type does not mean you follow its laws. Did jesus ever sacrifice animals to God??? No of course not. Jesus knew who he was, the savior, the bread of life from heaven. Jesus created christianity by doing what he did. So i would think this make him a christian more than a jew.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Jesus was a Nazorean jew who believed in a certain way of life and customs. He was also the Heir to the kingdom of judah as both his parents had the bloodline of King David in them. So to understand Jesus you need to understand the Nazorean customs at that time. You should check it up sometime.

G

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
In my opinion, as an ethnicity-only Jew (I accept it as an ethnicity, not as my religion, though it is how I was born and raised), the biblical figure "Jesus" (I doubt that he existed, but won't go into that now) could not have been a Christian for a few reasons of varying importance: 1) (very literal) the term "Christian" comes from the Greek "christo" (lord), which became christ, which is applied to Jesus (the Christ). He could not have been a "Christian" becuase the word did not yet exist. 2) Very little if not none of what is considered Christian today is consistent with his "teachings" and the opinions of him presented in the Gospels. 3) (personal belief applied to the topic) No actual "Jesus" ever existed, he was invented by a few people in the latter half of the 1st century C.E. as an embodiment of beliefs and qualities that they felt would most appeal to the masses. The "christ" was then solidified into a person by the Gospels and subsequently the Bible and the Church. He was designed as the figurehead to attract people, lure them, into a religion (I'll stop there with this idea for now).

On the next subject, being Jewish can be singular or dualistic. All Jews who's mothers were Jewish (and have substantial Jewish ancestry) are Jewish by ethnicity and can be by religion too. Any Jews who converted into the religion are themselves Jewish by religion, not ethnicity. The problem exists in how far back one traces the geneaology of a Jew in question, so at most it can be called an ethnicity, not a race. To elaborate, the notion that Judaism is a race comes from an anti-Jewish* community. In attempting to degrade and tyrade against any group, they must, among other things, be lumped into a body with distinguishable traits or beliefs, this forms the basis for racism and most other forms of discrimination. By grouping the Jews into a race, the goal of seperating us (Jews) by inherent qualities (those that are attributed to ancestry) is accomplished brilliantly. When Jews are viewed as a seperate race, a gigantic leap is made in the extent to which discrimination can be carried. The ultimate example is the Shoa (Holocaust), whereby the Nazis portrayed the Jews (specifically) as a sub-human, or at least sub-"aryan/germanic," race.

This is my first post, hope it is insightful/helpful.

Please feel free to alert me to any errors in my knowledge along with your opinions of my speculation.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Jesus was NOT a Christian. In fact, Jesus warned many times about religion. It astounds me that someone went and made a religion out of his teachings when he specifically warned against such.

Are Jews a "race" or "religion". Interesting that has been brought up. My son's girlfriend who is jewish considers herself a member of the Jewish "race". I guess if one was to use the ole gentile-jew thing that would have to be considered.

I personally consider it a "religion". Which I abhor-not the Jewish "religion" per say, but all religions. Why? Figure it out in your heart on what GOD wants one to do.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Jesus was jewish. He was raised in a Jewish family and attended Temple. After his death (& resurrection) his followers began the Chirstian religion.

---Pineapple

top topics

<< 1   >>

join