It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military sends scientists to film school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
film.guardian.co.uk...

Seems the US is suffering "brain drain"

Thats called "nurd need" or something i guess in the US any way.. the Jocks in the army seem to have clicked on to the iead that its these geeks and nurds that are going to invet their new guns for them, with a bigger bang.

So they want to blitz some propaganda the kids way telling them while they'd rather have you sign up and die on foreign soil helping the oil grab.. its also ok to stay home play with computers and become a scientist.. well as long as you promise to invent either a bigger bomb or a cool lazer gun.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I'm not exactly sure where you're extracting the ideas out of this article...it seems like they want to get people interested in sciences and engineering, I fail to see a problem.

I had a couple professors who were ex-Navy SEALS, they obviously aren't "inventing bigger bombs or a cool lazer gun" now...

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I was suggesting that our western "culture" is very anti intellectual.

Were told not to think too much, get called nurd or geek and are generally encouraged to be a testosterone pumped jock.

Jocks = cool = chicks = join the army or pro sports.

Geeks = geeks = no chicks = new guns for the jocks.

And indeed i was NOT gettiong this directly out of the article i was reading into the implications of the article.

[edit on 5/8/2005 by Corinthas]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It sounds like, they are trying to send the message out to the people that following the courses of science and engineering are not something to be put down but to relish in.

However what I dont see is this. they can spend all this money on these films, however those people who really do want to become scientists and engineers will.

We shouldnt be pushed in a direction dictated by the media and the governement.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The Guardian = Al Jazeera of the UK

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Sheeple go where sheeple will
the hand of the will that guides them
do as we say not as we do
and sheeple will get rewarded.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Interesting little paragraph that. The government is always going to try and control the masses, but it is because of this, forums like this are set up, so those who dont conform to the goverment following can have a say with fellow minded people.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I really dont see anything wrong with what the artical is talking about, and I dont really have a coment on how well it will work.
I do however think we will see the outcome of the people being trained in film going beyond what the artical is talking about. I think we will see there ideas being used in recrutment as well.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas

Were told not to think too much, get called nurd or geek and are generally encouraged to be a testosterone pumped jock.

And indeed i was NOT gettiong this directly out of the article i was reading into the implications of the article.

Sounds like teenage angst to me. I was always a smart guy in high school, and I am a physicist...I've had beautiful girlfriends in my past. I think most peoples' minds are warped by television.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
wow, treating people like tools again.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Maybe some people are right that we do sterotype people too much and this actual thing is just more of socity doing the same again...However being used as tools is not something I personally want to be part of.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Of corse sterotyping does happen. But what I think makes the difference, is weather or not you choose to act on it.

Weather you want to admit it or not people always do make a snap judgment when they first see some one. There actions after that is what, could be good of bad as to how you treat people through life.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Golem
Of corse sterotyping does happen. But what I think makes the difference, is weather or not you choose to act on it.

Weather you want to admit it or not people always do make a snap judgment when they first see some one. There actions after that is what, could be good of bad as to how you treat people through life.

yes, this is, unfortunately, human nature. intolerance is just a part of who we are as human beings
i just dont understand why.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari

yes, this is, unfortunately, human nature. intolerance is just a part of who we are as human beings
i just dont understand why.

Kitsunegari,
I dont really think intolerance is part of who we are. I wont disagree there is quite a bit of that out there, but at least there are many societies that have laws that give equel protection to all peoples and cultchers.
It is just I do feel it does not matter who you are that everyone will make make some sort of judgment about people before they would really have any way of knowing.
That does not make them a bad person, the intollerance however very well could

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas

That sounds like a pretty inaccurate stereotype to me. You are what you think you are. If you think that your a geek that can't get any girls, and will design new guns for the jocks in a windowless room it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Kitsunegari,
I dont really think intolerance is part of who we are. I wont disagree there is quite a bit of that out there, but at least there are many societies that have laws that give equel protection to all peoples and cultchers.
It is just I do feel it does not matter who you are that everyone will make make some sort of judgment about people before they would really have any way of knowing.
That does not make them a bad person, the intollerance however very well could

yes, i suppose maybe its not a part of human nature. but i believe it is a part of society in general. i agree that judgement is a part of human nature though. i just wish i knew why.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Kits,
Yes making one sort of judgment or another is part of natucher and that is something that will probably not be understood. But what is more importand is that although that opinion might be made it should not be acted upon untill there is tangable reason.
That is what will help make this world a better place to live.

top topics

join