It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic Floating Aircraft/UCAV??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Hey, I was thinking, anyone ever think they will create aircraft that lift up via magnetic forces? You know, the Earth has a magnetic field, so you just have the aircraft generate whatever field the Earth is generating (positive for positive or negative for negative) and then the aircraft should float.

I read that they tried this some years ago, but the aircraft was far too unstable and crashed. Or it just wouldn't fly right. Something like that. I'd imagine too that you would need an electrical generator to generate the electricity for a big aircraft, to keep it afloat, since batteries wouldn't last that long; to power the generator, I suppose one could put in a conventional combustion type of engine and have the pistons turn a crankshaft that drives the generator. So you'd need fuel tanks too.

I think the program was scrapped also because the Earth's magnetic field changes in so many areas, meaning that what allows you to float in one area could pull you right to the Earth in another, which is obviously a bad thing.

But modern jetliners and modern fighter planes fly with computer systems that constantly make slight changes to the flaps and so forth of the aircraft to keep it stable; without this, aircraft like an F-16 or a jumbo jet would crash.

So, theoretically, with enough research, could an aircraft be made that had magnetic field generators that made constant changes to the field wherever needed?

Take the Harrier jump jet. To hover, it has four outlets on the bottom, which are for the exhaust from the single engine it has inside. So, imagine an aircraft that instead of the four exhaust outlets, has four large magnetic generators on the bottom. These magnets are powered by the electric generator which is spinning inside, which is thus powered by the engine inside, which is running off of fuel. The engine could also maybe be a turbine like in the Abrams tank, which would mean fewer parts.

Now obviously, the problem is what if on one side of the aircraft the Earth has a positive field, yet on the other side, it has a negative field. Obviously the magnets on each side need to custom match the field, or they will pull the aircraft down. I imagine each magnet could maybe be like a television screen, where each magnet is really made up of a huge amount of smaller magnets (as a television screen is made up of pixels), so that the magnetic field from each "magnet" could vary.

As the aircraft flies along, the computer can make constant adjustments to the magnetic fields of these four hover magnets, to match the Earth's field, so the aircraft stays afloat.

If the aircraft is a form of hover jet, then obviously it needs jet engines, which means the jet engines themselves could maybe power the generator. The aircraft, when in "hover mode" wouldn't move at "jet speed" to the point that the computer wouldn't be able to make changes to the magnets in time to match the Earth's field because at those speeds, the magnets wouldn't be required.

The magnets would only be required for hovering and moving along at more of a helicopter's speed or slower.

I was thinking, if such an aircraft were possible, perhaps a jet fighter or bomber (whichever) could serve as a UCAV/UAV when needed. It could hover behind a mountain or something, silently (with the exception of the jet engines, which could be turning slower to make less noise I am imagining), and provide UCAV capabilities done by the pilot.

This way, the pilot could gather information then be given the okay to bomb the target or not, and it also could eliminate a lot of the communications problems I imagine exist with UAVS/UCAVs. Also the threat of what happens if the enemy takes control of the UCAV, etc...

I don't know if this is a legit idea that would just cost too much to make or if it has been thought up, but decided not on, or what. I would imagine one could make a large UCAV like this as well, but I think UCAVs "float" or hover just fine with "fan rotors" that allow them to hover up high, so in that case, the electrical generator idea would probably be too complex.

Also the F-35 aircraft hovers fine with a fan rotor as well I think, so I don't know. If the F-35 burns up fuel really fast while hovering, the way the Harrier does (in cool whether, Harries I think can hover for around 10 minutes or more, but in hot weather, only 90 seconds), then maybe a magnetic floating aircraft would work because it could perhaps hover for a lot longer (like a couple of hours if necessary).

Was wondering what people thought? Struck me as a neat idea. Even if it had no practical use, it would be fun to build one. Could you imagine an F-14 or something like that that floated silently, with the exception of the engines?

I imagine also if such an aircraft were to be piloted, you'd need someone to test fly it obviously.

You could also place such an aircraft deep or closer to enemy territory I'd think. Imagine if about five F/A-22s flew into enemy territory with lots of jungle. Only imagine that the F/A-22 can have this capability and still be the F/A-22 it is. The pilots fly a path so that the plane's stealth features are fully utilized and they aren't detected. They then stop over the jungle, lower down inside, and land inside. Then the next day or whatnot, they rise out of the jungle and fly on to do havoc wherever.

If launched from an aircraft carrier, such aircraft could maybe fly inland but then stay inland for awhile (some days longer) than regular jet aircraft could, which must fly to either a base or back to the carrier. This way, for a dangerous country that could threaten the carrier, the carrier could get close, launch the planes, then get out of there, then come back some days later, right as the planes are flying back to the carrier.

Of course, that would require some gutsy pilots. Most fighter pilots from what I've heard like air conditioning, not being told they must live in the jungle for a few days

And I am basically talking out of my rear with all this stuff, as I am no aircraft or UCAV expert, but alas, that is what the board is for, so other people can share their opinions and tell me why this whole contraption would be a blatant waste of money or how it could work or what (but even if it is a waste, I still wish I could build one!).

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
During late 80s, OKB MiG worked on magnetic take off for new fighters and also for aerospace vehicle MVKS.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yes,it will be done.There are several teams doing research on magnetic propulsion around the world.I've been checking around some sites doing some research on another project and have seen some interesting things out there.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by bargaindan
Yes,it will be done.There are several teams doing research on magnetic propulsion around the world.

No it won't. The earth's magnetic flux is much too weak to be of use and the research on magnetic propulsion (or rather electromagnetic propulsion) you mention make no use of the earth's magnetic field.

[edit on 9-8-2005 by Simon666]

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon666

Originally posted by bargaindan
Yes,it will be done.There are several teams doing research on magnetic propulsion around the world.

No it won't. The earth's magnetic flux is much too weak to be of use and the research on magnetic propulsion (or rather electromagnetic propulsion) you mention make no use of the earth's magnetic field.

[edit on 9-8-2005 by Simon666]

The research I refer to has nothing to do with the planetary flux fields other than they are both magnetic.These projects range from an antigravity type system to using electromagnetic pistons to produce power as well as some other offbeat projects.

Many people seem to think that magnetic propulsion goes hand in hand with the fields of flux surrounding the planet.This simply is not a practical way of looking at the issue,so you are correct in saying the magnetic flux field is to weak.Ther are many ways of propulsion that can be accomplished without having to develop a flying saucer.That would be cool if we could,but I do not see that happening in my lifetime.I think we are to bound up by what we consider the laws of science.

The Lodestone bears many secrets,and we have a long way to go before thay can be sorted out.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I dont think we will ever see that, the earths magnetic field is to weak.

I'm sure in the future we will have aircraft be brought up to speen by electromagnets, but thats where it stops.

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
any one care to tell me why a take off with elcromagnets is better? my guess is fuel but if someone could clarify that would be great?

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
any one care to tell me why a take off with elcromagnets is better? my guess is fuel but if someone could clarify that would be great?

I believe the main interest is to replace the steam catapults on aircraft carriers. I think they believe an electromagnetic system could save weight and especially volume - critical on an aircraft carrier. Don't know how it would affect complexity and cost.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Personally that sounds like a cool idea and im sure it could be applied to many diff situations too. if they use the magnets to shorten take offs it could create the ablity to see some take offs from some sort of underground base. Im thinking a Starwars type of take off.

posted on Aug, 11 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH

I'm also sure some airports in populated areas would be interested to help keep noise down, or airports with short runways that really tax the engines and burn lots of expensive fuel.

posted on Aug, 13 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Noise during take off from the runway is not what causes the problems for the surrounding areas.

posted on Aug, 14 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
We are speaking about ELECTROMAGNETIC take off. It means that you put a lot of energy to electromagnet and it lift the plane to the air. It has nothing in common with Earths electromagnetic field. And it is not propulsion, just the system for very short or vertical take off and landing. The main advantage is, that you could build camouflaged bunker with electromagnetic floor, than simply open the top and launch the fighter to attack the enemy. The main disadvantage is, that it uses a lot of energy and is sensitive to any enemy attack [in other words, it is simple target].

And as I cannot edit my previous post, here is original picture:

top topics

join