It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S Researcher In New Expedition To Find Atlantis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Robert Sarmast, an American researcher and architect, announced on Thursday his plans to lead a new expedition in mid 2006 to find the long lost city of Atlantis. Mr Sarmast believes Atlantis did exist and will attempt to prove it's location which he believes lies between Cyprus and Syria. An initial expedition by Mr Sarmast in November 2004 found some evidence which he says suggests man made structures 50 miles of the SE coast of Cyprus.

today.reuters.com
He plans to return to the site for a closer look by May, 2006 with remote operated vehicles which will attempt to blast away sediment on a selected site lying 1.5 km below sea level.

"There is not one scientist in the world who can explain these formations as natural ones," said Sarmast, who said he had clinched a contract with a Hollywood production house to produce a two hour documentary next year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The outlines were detected using sonars and scanners that use sound pulses to map the seabed.

It will be good if once and for all the mystery of Atlantis is solved. If he is correct, new research and investigation of his finds will uncover more and more of this so called "Lost Society" which Plato first bought to the worlds attention.
www.discoveryofatlantis.com
www.discoveryofatlantis.com

[edit on 4-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
ewww! This is interesting. I look forward to hearing more on his exploration.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Shouldnt this be in a different thread area, not terroranalysis

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Its world news, its important and this is a conspiracy-ufo-mysteries board. I personally believe that ATSNN is not just for the terrorism news but for other headlining events of great importance to us all.

Imagine if Atlantis is found.... much more important than a lot of the stuff in the news today

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I can't imagine whether atlantis did or did not exist of having any importance at all...I have read Plato's account and there is nothing there to fuel the fantesies of those looking for either a lost civilization or a more advanced...just alot of wishful thinking...sure there are lost civilizations but their revelance is minor. I would be happier finding civilization in America.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
grover I hope you are joking.

It isn't whether Atlantis existed or not, but what can we learn from it if it did.
George Santayana said it all:

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
``

I always smell something fishy when a Architect & explorer ~funds his
gentlemans' expedition....so i googled Robert Sarmast, Architect, explorer

the very first item was more than enough for me,

anthropology.tamu.edu...

..."We have definitely found the Acropolis of Atlantis"
..Mr Sarmast affirmed...
Press Association, 15 November 2004

theres plenty to scan over & read & research (maybe, if i think its worth it)
~58888 bytes

-------------
i'm thinking that this could be another clandestine CIA Project

[edit on 4-8-2005 by St Udio]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I tend to agree with St.Udio.....

This strikes me as candy for the masses......something to perk our ears up and realize that someone out there is doing what they can....

Consider if he really did find Atlantis. Would the prominent governments of the world be willing to let that information pass into the popular conception? Doubt it. Would re-write history, and more specifically call in to question the credibility of The Vatican and its many subsidiaries...such an action would devastate the status-quo in many ways, the most harmful to the system being the questions of the masses being targeted towards the powers that be(Public Relations version 2005) as well as lead people into a distrust of many things associated.....

Or maybe television would still prove sufficient towards pacification....

BTW, my opinion is that Atlantis has been found, it's existence and history being well guarded, knowledge of it is kept by an elite few, and that the Library of Alexandria was destroyed for a reason more specific than 'cultural clashing.'

But that would make me paranoid........

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
[...]the Library of Alexandria was destroyed for a reason more specific than 'cultural clashing.'

But that would make me paranoid...

Interesting concept - I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

But seriously, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, and I would say that it is highly probable that some more was going on behind the scences...

Its the same thing thats going on today...

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
Interesting concept - I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

If I had any motivation.......I suffer from a distinct disorder that proclaims itself whenever I want to truly go all out and post the cliffnotes to a few 'conspiracies'.......

As for The Library of Alexandria, I believe that a couple of thousands of years humans have been thinking some pretty advanced thought...we understood many concepts that have only recently been 'discovered' Furthremore, if I can't say that they were understood, then I can say that they were being experimented with in every which way.

Lack of a fast transmission of ideas is the obvious way to explain the universal awareness of things like the Antikytheria Device and the Baghdad Battery.......there is no way anyone is going to convince me that people weren't experimenting the crap out of these things and trying to determine various other things......Egyptians were drilling holes in people's heads and Ancient Indians were finding corrolations between personality traits and the sections of the brain......alot of sciences really just take a sound mind and motivation.

Application, especially on a global societal basis, is what people equate with advancement. And maybe it is. To be comfortable enough to allow 'foriegners' to not only co-exist, but to share ideas and pleasures is an advancement in and of itself. If we are going to take a look at societies, then we may as well include social hierarchies as a valid concept. Remember, Democracy is a relatively new societal implementation. The idea that all men are equal is a new purveyance throughout the masses. Back in the day, people were well aware that there was a royal bloodline and it was understood who did what. The blacksmith taught his son to be a blacksmith, the King gave his son the crown. Much credence was given to familial recognizance. I would therefore contend that scholars beget scholars in the context of their time. And even if there were 'leakages' of information, the fact that the majority of people didn't understand anything beyond their daily routines helped to limit the effective expression of it.

There is a reason why the Catholics have prominence throughout history.

I could go on and on, but I lack direction and organization. Suffice to say that when taking a look at the past and the evolution of technologies, you really need to research sociology, because then you have a distinct view of the social roles expected of certain individuals. Conspiracy has become a dirty word in today's society, but I believe that is only because people at some point in time discovered the role of peer pressure in a society........bread and circus is a fairly old phrase and it's very simplicity suggests that there exists some reasoning behind it....remember that slang is the combining of ideas, words and concepts to produce a more efficient expression....contractions are a good example of this and it would appear that some etymology is a good avenue for discernemnt.

Sorry for the brief hijacking.......like I said, if only I had some motivation....and maybe some organization

[edit on 4-8-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I personally feel that the earth has been mapped to just about it's entirety by satellite and I am sure it would have been discovered by now. However I will wait and see how this voyage pans out and the discoveries if any, that he makes there.

Science have made it possible now by dna testing to pretty much rule out hoaxes, as could be seen in the recent yowie/sasquatch hair fake. So if he does come up with something it won't take long before it yields it's history to us. If not, he's just another jack*ss getting his 15 minutes of fame.

[edit on 4-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Send this guy a map- of Georgia.

If he follows Plato's directions, he's going to discover Atlanta.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Atlantis is under a mile or so of ice in antartica. Which is a huge landmass sitting between two great oceans.......just rotate your globe and see ! Antartica without ice also explains those ancient maps.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by amarenell

About what finding civilization in America?

Two of my favorite quotes:

Gandi was asked what he thought of western civilization and he replied that, "It would be a good idea."

And...Oscar Wilde said while he was touring the United Stated in the 1880's that..."America is the only country in the world to have gone from barbarism to decadance without civilization inbetween."

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Whether it existed or not, it is still a great opportunity for further exploration of our planet. I welcome any such endeavors and hope they do find some new and exciting information about our past. Good luck to the explorers.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
The only way someone's goin to find Atlantis is if they look really really really really deep into the ocean and just keep on drilling and some more drilling.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
wasn't there some satellite imagery last year circulating the Net showing what looked like curcular stonework remains in shallow water somewhere off of Africa?

I don't get the hype. Civilizations have been lost and found. If Atlantis had existed it will be discovered, just so thoroughly destroyed we're not recognizing it. However, it'll be just that, ruins. From a normal society of it's time that was influential and had a great trading location. No UFO's, no wacky technology, no mystical fluff.

Searches for Atlantis would get more credibility and funding if the pie-eyed dreamers would lay off a bit, I think. It will help us understand a bit more of ourselves and our world history when we find it. And it will be nice to have these secrets in a part of the world that is not occupied by oil monopolies and theocracies who would rather destroy such "heathen" structures and beliefs than allow information that shows how epemeral and transient their current religion is.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Ah, Ghandi. A Western (England) educated lawyer. Definitely would know what he's talking about, having chosen the profession most immediately responsible for downfalls in Western society.

Gotta love folks who go and gain personal benefit from a place and culture and then slam it.

Look what he had to go through to absolve himself for choosing the law profession.

Originally posted by grover

Originally posted by amarenell

About what finding civilization in America?

Two of my favorite quotes:

Gandi was asked what he thought of western civilization and he replied that, "It would be a good idea."

And...Oscar Wilde said while he was touring the United Stated in the 1880's that..."America is the only country in the world to have gone from barbarism to decadance without civilization inbetween."

new topics

top topics

join