It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Austalian Federal Gov Seizes Control of Territory's Uranium Mining

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
After the Northern Territories Labour government promised to ban new uranium mines, the Australian federal government has seized control of the Territory's rich uranium deposits, stating "This no-uranium policy is a nonsensical policy" and adding the Northern Territory is open for business on uranium mining. It is believed that while keen to begin opening the area to foreign companies acquiring mining rights, indigenous owners of the area will give full support to the mines which are proposed before going ahead.

www.theage.com.au
About a dozen companies were currently exploring for uranium in the resource-rich territory, which is home to some $12 billion worth of known uranium deposits, he said.

Energy Resources of Australia (ERA) is currently mining at Ranger, which is surrounded by Kakadu National Park.

French nuclear power company Cogema is currently lobbying traditional owners in a bid to mine its multi-million dollar, 14,000-tonne Koongarra deposit in Kakadu National Park.

Mr Macfarlane said he shared the NT government's unease about the Koongarra deposit, but would consider all applications.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While I feel that uranium used for energy to sustain us is a viable option, I have grave fears that much of the uranium will go towards more harmful purposes including weapons and experimentation in that area. It brings to mind the use of depleted uranium and the outcomes that can occur.

Asking the indigenous leaders for permission is basically a farce, unfortunately the countries indigenous councils are in great disarray and many will sign to any agreement as long as royalties come their way. This development does have worldwide ramifications as Australia is one of the top uranium producers in the world today.

I wonder how much of this is for our country or part of deals with foreign interests including our allies.

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
what's worse? Mining uranuim that might be used for weapons and could cause environmental damge?

Or mining coal that will be burned and will increase acid rain, strontium-90 emissions, and worse?

Governments and economies need money, and their uranium is a powerful export. Shutting it down simply increases the burden on taxpayers, which angers them and weakens the government in charge.

Sounds like the "northern territories" were playing a bit of an economic warfare game, or hoped to cut production to raise prices, much as our "friends" in OPEC do.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
No the northern territory government were sensitive to the wants of it's citizens

they said no mining so the labour government said no mining It wasn't a matter of prices and economies. It was simply a matter of no mining.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Interesting Update

A constitutional expert says the Federal Government's decision to take over the awarding of uranium mining licences in the Northern Territory signifies a remodelling of the country's federal system of government.

The mining industry has hailed the move as offering certainty that will lead to a "prolonged uranium boom"

Dr John Williams from the Australian National University (ANU) says it is a bold move by the Commonwealth.

"Federalism in one sense is being reshaped as we speak and in many ways the states are becoming service deliveries, and so is the case for the Territory Government," he said.

"So the Commonwealth is clearly being quite bold and emboldened.

"I think by the fact that it now controls the Senate that any of these changes that it wants to make it will be able to put through at its will."

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I am completely against Nuclear power in its current form... Once they have Fusion down pat I will be completely for it, as it is environmentally safe and pound-for-pound extremely energy effecient...

But what really frustrates me - is the fact that our government, will sit there and condemn places like North Korea and Iran - over its nuclear ambitions - BUT is providing all the people who are "aloud" to have nuclear technology with Uranium... All in the name of money, what gives the US and France the right to have nuclear power AND weapons above everyone else... I think, either we all have them, or no-one has them - simple as that...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As someone mentioned earlier aswell - about the Aboriginal population... They are in shambles, the government has effectively destroyed the Aboriginal culture... This country, 200 or so years ago was 100% Aboriginal land, and had been for ATLEAST (I repeat) ATLEASE 40,000 YEARS !!! - Us Angelo-Saxons came in and massacared millions, the Australian government has systematically committed virtual GENO-CIDE - the Aboriginal populate respresent only 2% of the total 20-Million "Australians"...

Where is the justice in that - and f-ing Johnny Howard can't even recognise the evil things we done to these people - they are now second-class citizens because they have failed to assimilate to our "civil" society... Its the same thing America did to its Native American population...

This stuff makes me sooo angry... and our government just pays off a few corrupt Aboriginal politicians and then they sign - and thats that... Its rediculous...

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
That's it in a nutshell. Unfortunately our society has decimated the indigenous culture and divided the people.

It does bring scary conotations of just why at this moment in history does little Johnny Waltz in and take over the most powerful product or natural resource in the world today and allow foreign investments to mine it.

Some would say oil is the power but I don't think so, the potential of Australia's uranium far exceeds all the oil in the world.

What deals are going on behind what closed doors. What are Australians being led into that we don't know about...*cough ...for the good of the people after all. *trust in your elected leaders.

Doubt on NT uranium mining
By Karen Michelmore
June 19, 2005

THE re-elected Northern Territory Government's anti-uranium policy could set it on course for a showdown with the Federal Government.
The Howard Government has been vocal in its support for an increase in uranium mining, given high world uranium prices.

But the NT Labor Government, returned in a landslide on the weekend, has promised no new uranium mines will be established in the territory.

Environmentalists have hailed the election result, in which Labor could have 15 to 18 of the 25 Legislative Assembly seats, as a big win for the environment.

The Australian Conservation Foundation (ACF) said it sent a "clear message to Canberra" that territorians were opposed to uranium mining.

www.news.com.au...

The above article i think clearly states the peoples views. Yet the government has the audacity to go ahead with these moves despite what the people want and think

The Northern Territory bowed to the peoples wants and cries when they banned further Uranium mining in Northern Territory.. the 80's had so many protests on this issue that it wasn't funny. It was huge news, yet today the federal government clicks it's little red heels and follows the road home to Kansas and just takes over without a whimper of opposition only hurrahs in the media by mining interests. Nothing beeen aid for all those people who worked so hard with so many campaigns to stop Australia's uranium mining.

Once the thought of the weapons that could be built from this uranium was heard in public outcries and protesters and rainbow children fighting all the way for their beliefs. Today where have the children gone.

Where are those who protest, does everyone just nod their heads and continue their merry way. Yes Johnny, thats so cool you want to start Uranium mining again and give the world the ability to destroy itself even more.

Its not just this issue, its societies newfound apathy everywhere. it's like there is no fight left, that everyones resigned to the New World Order taking over. Its like its here and it's no issue fighting it.

www.takver.com...

What exactly IS really happening here.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
This all seems a little strange to me, given that uranium mining in Oz has ALWAYS been under the purview of the commonwealth.

As for the indigenous population, it doesn't matter what the councils think, it's the direct traditional owners who have the say and make the decisions and take the payments.

Having lived in central Oz for a number of years I can confirm that the councils are pretty much in dissarray, and that was well before ATSIC was abolished. The problem is tha they aren't all Sugar Ray Robinsons. There are a few who genuinely care, and a lot who use their little bit of education to defraud the rest who have no education.

My objection to uranium mining is basically, if it came out of our earth, what right do we have to refuse to take it back? We can't sell it to the rest of the world and then wash our hands of the problem.

If John Howard was determined to go ahead with Jabiluka, despite nationwide protest, why would he care when a state/territorial government objected?

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   
i'm all for mining uranium but am a little wary of letting private companies reap the profits.

thanks,
drfunk

new topics

join