It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Those high school days~except for those that are still there!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I was just thinking about high school.....class of 198

How do you people remember your days in high school?
Would you go back and change things?
Do you still keep in contact the friends you made?
what's the most memorable experience you had in high school?
and why?
Did anyone have some great impact on you , that it still remains with you today?
What was it and why?

Were your teachers cool? (lol) cool.....haven't used that word in ages!
Were you popular or what's the word?
Nerd?
Geek?
Can't forget this one, how about the ''Teachers pet'' ?

I'm sure there's lot's more that I can't remember ........

helen
please share those High school days.....

Oh, anyone have a reunion?

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
So I'm guessing everyone is still in high School
:shk:

ok then!

helen

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I graduated in 88'. The way I remember it, things were great. Of course, this was before the concept of responsibilty set in, so why wouldn't it?

We had the typical cliques; jocks, nerds or geeks, cheerleaders, surfers (Florida mind you), and a few small groups of various types. I guess I was in a small group, cause we didn't really have a category.

The music was cool then, and the future didn't seem that bad. The internet hadn't even caught on mainstream then, so entertainment was through TV, movies, reading, and actually socializing real life - not virtually.

Terrorism was not a problem for the US then. In fact, it had been a while since we had had any major conflicts on the scale we see today.

I still have contacts with a few close friends I went to high school with. Some of my old teachers still teach today as well. A few of those I knew, have passed on also.

If I could change anything, I would have probably wished to have known what it was that I really wanted to do in life and started working on it then.
I would have probably developed a plan for a better college education than post-poning it till later, while the concept and routine of schooling was still fresh in my system.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
All right Helen I will assist you in your bout of nostalgia. You too can get through it!

Strangely enough I am generally the person that has to organize our school reunions so your questions come nearer to my daily thoughts at times than for most others who would not give a toss about their school or their alumnae.

Originally posted by helen670

* Fantastic helen! If you left school at, say, 17 years of age, that makes you 1,824 years old. Don't worry, your secret is safe with us!

How do you people remember your days in high school?

* Fondly, but at times sketchily. There are incidents reported about me that I have no recollection of whatsoever.

* No, only a couple of things in family life, not at school.

Do you still keep in contact the friends you made?

* Yes. Amongst my best friends are those who spent formative years with me. These friendships last no matter where we end up on the planet.

* Same as most people, I'm sure.

and why?

* See above.

Did anyone have some great impact on you , that it still remains with you today?

* A small handful of teachers imparted more of themselves than others. But I did not have role models of any kind. I can see in some people my own age and older, the makings of the man/woman in what we saw at High School.

What was it and why?

* Certain life philosophy has proved to be useful. Also my school principal being one of only two female school principals in that system, and never having married, taught me the Freudian meeting of sublimation, which is not a practice to be followed.

* Some. Some were genuine sports stars and some were all round decent folk. Some were power hungry a$$holes and failures at interpersonal relationships. Just like the world at large outside the babysitting fortresses.

Were you popular or what's the word?

* Oh yes, a legend in our own lunchtime.

Nerd?

* Yes, but a svelte athletic one.

Geek?

* Never wore glasses, so couldn't qualify.

Can't forget this one, how about the ''Teachers pet'' ?

* Gifted academically, but a rotter with teachers. The teacher's pet was generally a female.

I'm sure there's lot's more that I can't remember ........

* Yes, it shows.

Oh, anyone have a reunion?

* See above. Next, 2008.

Anyone marry someone from High School?

Percentage ought to be not more than 15-20% in western developed countries.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Thanks Ben, Masked for your input

I was actually real quiet at High School,especially the first 3 yrs.......\I mostly kept to myself most of the time.....
I mostly remember sitting in the front of the class and payed attention to the teacher......
teacher's pet?
No way.....too quiet and reserved ......well, still am

Sort of!

I wasn't what you call, part of the ''popular crowd'' where the girls would have boyfriends and go find little things to teaze about someone they disliked for whatever reasons they would be.

lol
oops.....did I deliberately leave the last number out?

Quote/ben....Terrorism was not a problem for the US then. In fact, it had been a while since we had had any major conflicts on the scale we see today
Didn't know the meaning of the word!

OR, didn't care about world happenings!
I guess High School for guy's and Girls is different....

Most memorable for me would have to be at camp(out of the years in high school) ....doing seance's and the teacher telling me to not mess with what you dont know!
But I didn't listen.......sorta got people interested in me, for a little while anyway!
:shk:

Teachers impact on me would have to be my History Teacher.......I didn't much like History and He said ....''One day helen, you will be interested in History'' and did mention Russia ( pretty wierd
)

Out of all my teachers, I would have to say my History teacher looking back now.....He use to be a Footy player for Carlton, Mr Frazer (also our Principal in yrs 11 and 12)

lol.......Maths teacher Mr O'leary(I hope he's not here at ATS ....yep, now that I think about it, I use to get pass grades when I should have failed the subject, I use to wag and go to the library and he would come in and tell me to get the work done !........I think he smoked that margarine stuff

He was ok though, really nice guy......seen him a few times here and there!

And at year11 or 12 camp........our English Lit teacher with a student (m**** was his name)
And how a few girls should not have ........
Me, yeh, I called up the spirit world................:shk:

At camp, the guys made Hot Chocolate, and offered to the girls....they pissed in it!
Should have known something wasn't right!

I guess CAMP for me was the most memorable because that was the one time I was allowed to be independant without my dad telling me what to do......

Saw a few high school friends and people over the years.....here and there.

Would I change anything ?
Yeh, I wished I could stand up for myself.......but then again

No one did organize any reunions...

None that I was aware of.

Most memorable song would be :bnghd:
''another brick in the wall'' ?
Pink Floyd.

We don’t need no education.
We don’t need no thought control.
No dark sarcasm in the classroom.
Teacher, leave those kids alone.
Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone!
All in all it’s just another brick in the wall.
All in all you’re just another brick in the wall

Dont know why?

A few did marry.....as to where they are now, dont know!

helen

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Class of 1992. Late fall of my senior year I recived my Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, I had been using martial arts classes as an escape from school life since it was horrid for me.

How do you remember people in your High School days? Selfish, and more into thier "clicks" then seeing someone was huring and in emotional pain and doing something for them. I even had a group I had been with for several years tell me then didn't like me anymore and to go away. Shortly after that I attempted to commit suicide becasue I felt so sad and horrible it was unbearable.

Would I go back and Change things? I think going ot a different school after 8th grade would have been much better for me. Too many in my scholl remembered that I had a bad temper, It hurt any chances for developing any kind of strong and meaningful friendships for me.

Do you still keep in contact with the friends you made? Well, I ended up not having a single High School friend after graduating. And it smacks of Hypocracy when I see them now and how they act so friendly towards me when in my time of need I was ignored and shunned.

What is the most memorable experaince you had in High School? First time falling in love with someone. And being a computer whiz to the point I was teaching the Teacher of the classes

Did anyone have a great impact on you, that it remainds with you today? I think my math teachers were the best, it was the one subject I excelled at and could do well. Some of the advice and help they gave me I still remeber and even use to this day. Also one of my history teachers who started the class discussing current events got me interested in staying informed with what is happening in my world.

Were any of your teachers cool? Yes, the above ones metioned and the computer teacher.

What were you in High school? First I was a skid, becasue my dad lost his Breadwinning job and we went from well-to-do middle class to near poverty withen a few years. But I was also a geek because I had very good tech smarts, and could do a lot of lateral thinking. But not to the point of being a nerd... tho some people might have assumed

THere has been a 5 year and 10 year reunion allready, both notices came withen 2 weeks of the event date and I had made other plans allready.

High School was not a good time of my life, I keep trying to go beyond it and not be bitter. But I do wish people had been a little more Empatic, in realising what they were doing, and caring a bit more for those that fall behind. Not many people knows what it is like to be alone in a crowd, or how sad and lonely it makes you feel. if you have ever felt it you would make sure that no one would ever have to feel the same

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I graduated just over a month ago, so I'll pass on some of the questions. Suffice to say, though, that my school was a little different, so being a nerd/geek was cool, and the football team was the laughing stock of the school.

Very, very little.

Some, as always, and some weren't.

Were you popular or what's the word? Nerd? Geek?

Yes, yes, yes. Not mutually exclusive, though, as I said above.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670

Quote/ben....Terrorism was not a problem for the US then. In fact, it had been a while since we had had any major conflicts on the scale we see today
Didn't know the meaning of the word!

OR, didn't care about world happenings!
I guess High School for guy's and Girls is different....

Well, I know we all didn't care a whole bunch about world affairs back then, but the main thing that stood out to me was the shuttle "Challenger" exploding. It was routine in mid Florida to see rocket launches from Cape Canaveral, but that shuttle was not routine. I went to school about 40 miles from Canaveral, and I saw the usual rocket contrail out the school window. I took a second glance only to see a large ploom and trails from debri, and knew something was amiss. I happened to have a new FM radio I bought - about the size of a credit card - I had just brought to school that day. I immediately tuned in to find that the shuttle exploded, way before everyone else knew of it. That was, I guess, my moment of living through a historical moment. I remember it vividly and my father, who owns an auto repair, happened to shoot 35mm pics outside of the launch has the pics of the launch and demise of the 7 astronauts from a common vantage point.

See my above reference.

Teachers impact on me would have to be my History Teacher.......I didn't much like History and He said ....''One day helen, you will be interested in History'' and did mention Russia ( pretty wierd
)

I never liked history in HS. I hated it with a passion, because it seemed boring to me. Since then, I discovered that history is only useful as a lesson of the past, and the more I study it, the more I find that we are still making the same mistakes we always have.

Out of all my teachers, I would have to say my History teacher looking back now.....He use to be a Footy player for Carlton, Mr Frazer (also our Principal in yrs 11 and 12)

lol.......Maths teacher Mr O'leary(I hope he's not here at ATS ....yep, now that I think about it, I use to get pass grades when I should have failed the subject, I use to wag and go to the library and he would come in and tell me to get the work done !........I think he smoked that margarine stuff

My favorite teacher was my chemistry teacher. Not that I enjoyed the subject then or even understood his level of intelligence, but I say I wish I knew what he knew today. The guy was probably full of knowledge. The only thing I picked up from his classes was how to make hydrogen so we could make small balloons of gas to explode.

Would I change anything ?
Yeh, I wished I could stand up for myself.......but then again

There is never any time better than the present.

Most memorable song would be :bnghd:
''another brick in the wall'' ?
Pink Floyd.

Most memorable song for me was; everything.

I never had a favorite music, but now I hear these 80's CD's and I remember every bit of the sights and sounds of our time.

Kneel down ye sinners
to streetwise religion.
Greeds been crowned the new king.
Hollywood dream teens,
yesterdays trash queens
save your blessings for the final ring......
AMEN

Take a ride on the Wild Side

Motley Crue.....circa 1980's

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I hated high school.

But I still attended and graduated. With one hemisphere of my brain tied behind my back.

Rednecks, I was surrounded by rednecks..Plaid shirts over Black Lynyrd Skynyrd T-shirts, and gun racks in pickup trucks. Guns included.

My favorite teacher, committed suicide, over summer break, just before my senior year. Figures..He is responsible for my one fond memory..He always played albums during our weekly tests.."Frampton comes Alive" was his, and my favorite of the time.

For years, I kept track of other alumni, by reading the police blotter.

There is a renunion this year..25th..I won't be going.

Sounds kind of pathetic, but thats the way it was!

new topics

top topics

join