It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon fears Iraqi army infiltrated by insurgents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Six Marine snipers were killed yesterday, Aug 2, in Haditha Iraq.
They were victims of an ambush and the Pentagon is worried that insurgents may have infiltrated the Iraqi military and been involved in that ambush.

MSNBC

For U.S. military officials, the deaths of the six Marines killed in action Monday raises an unsettling prospect: that they may have been victims of someone with inside information.

The six were members of two sniper teams, trained to pick off the enemy at a distance, one-by-one, with a single precision shot.

Officials report the sniper teams were working together and in position when they were ambushed by an unknown number of insurgents.

Marines nearby heard the short, heavy burst of enemy gunfire that apparently killed five of the Marine snipers instantly. Evidence indicates the attack came so quickly the Marines were unable to return fire.

The sixth Marine either escaped or was taken prisoner but was later found dead a mile or so from the scene of the attack.

That's very worrying.
Having insurgents within the Iraqi military means it's much harder to launch operations without having the enemy tipped off and there's even a much more worrying scenario of having the armed Iraqi soldiers turn their guns on the US soldiers during joint operations.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Carpet bombing would solve all the problems,

but no.........

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
Carpet bombing would solve all the problems,

but no.........

Yep spreading truth justice and the American way from the bomb-bay of a B-52 yet another classic example of why military intelligence is an oxymoron brought to you by the radical rightwing nutjob segment of America also known as the Republican party.
Then they wonder why they get called nazis...

But hey "Better dead then red" right?

[edit on 3-8-2005 by boogyman]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Honestly I cant say I'm surprised.
I mean who'd have thought that when you try to build an Army overnight in the middle of a hostile warzone that it would get infiltrated?

I just love the fact that we're training these guy's

Colonel:"Congratulations Achmed you've just completed the demolitions and
heavy weapons segment of your Basic training your now a soldier in the new Iraqi Army..."
Private:"Hey where'd Achmed go?"
Achmed: "KABOOM!!!"

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Lets fast forward to 2020:

"The Iraqi's are Terrorists!!"
"Well we created them remember, we trained their army and taught them everything they know, we funded their forces and gave them weapons!"
"Don't give me your leftwing lies, we would never be involved with terrorists!"

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
Colonel:"Congratulations Achmed you've just completed the demolitions and
heavy weapons segment of your Basic training your now a soldier in the new Iraqi Army..."
Private:"Hey where'd Achmed go?"
Achmed: "KABOOM!!!"

But in this case these Marine Snipers may have been packing the very deadly Barrett 50 cal. I just wonder how much ammunition each Marine carries? I believe I read the military version of the Barrett 50 cal holds 10 in the clip. Do they put any restrictions on how much ammunition these snipers go into the field with in the result that they are killed and the weapons end up in enemy hands? Sure is a scary thought insurgents with Barrett 50 cal. Even more scary is how much damage insurgents inside the Iraqi military could bring. We need to get our boys outta there asap!

Cebu

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
boogyman has the right approach on this issue I think. The brass in the U. S. should have planned on this and enacted the proper way to respond to this threat. I have not been to military school but I heard somewhere that the rush to getting into Afagan. and Iraq was planned very poorly and somehow this vital part of any plan, appears to just have been overlooked or it could be the the Prez. had issued the plans to Rummy and he failed to take into account this little details.....1800+ and counting. We need to try another approach because the one in place is sure as h$ll not working

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
There really is no way to stop every single insurgent or terrorist from joining the Iraqi Army. In the long run we can just hoe that the numbers of true Soldiera are so overwhelming that these infiltrators will get weeded out as time goes on.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
That's all our presence is providing for the insurgents at this point. 1800 is a shameful waste of American youth.
Our current methods are not working...........PERIOD.

I do not believe that another 1800 KIA will change the situation in Iraq. I wish to see significant changes in our military approach to this conflict, or I will join the 'pull them out now' crowd.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cebu

But in this case these Marine Snipers may have been packing the very deadly Barrett 50 cal. I just wonder how much ammunition each Marine carries?

Can you tell what guns these are:

This is from the video of the attack that was released by the insurgents.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me at all. This is guerilla warfare. The 'insurgents' aren't some dumb bunch of incompetents! They're smart, saavy and apparently misunderestimated.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The rifles there are 308 caliber Remington 700's, M40a3.

new topics

top topics

join