It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins used as marine weapon & tool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Weapons section

I have heard bits and pieces about the US Navy (and I would imagine others as well) using Dolphins and Seals for various purposes like finding mines.

I was reading this site about the CIA and Navy using Dolphins

www.harmlesslion.com...

and was wondering how much of it you think is accurate like these parts in particular"

"Fitzgerald set up shop on a small finger key just off the naval base at Key West, Florida, where the United States had stored its nuclear warheads during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Astounding results came quickly. A dolphin could tell the difference between aluminum and copper, could acoustically "see" a three-inch ball 200 yards off underwater in total darkness, and could be quickly taught to push or pull 110-pound payloads through a hundred miles of open sea. Dolphins also learned toplant magnetic satchels on the hulls of ships, although they often misplaced their dummy explosives underneath the yachts of some very surprised sportsmen. The CIA covered these mistakes by explaining that the dolphins were part of an experiment for the Bureau of Marine Fisheries."

"CIA went ahead with its first scheme. Anchored off Havan like a rumrunner, a disguised CIA yacht released a dolphin from a special stern porthole beaneath the surface. The dolphin swam down an acoustic "path" that was laid by sonar beams sent from the dolphin ship to the harbour. The dolphin helped obtain information about the power plant of a Russian nuclear- powered ship by placing instruments against the hull of the vessel."

It seems pretty amazing if its all true.

Does anyone have any other sources about Dolphins being used??

I wonder what other types of animals the military and govt have experimented with to use as a weapon/tool? I know they have dogs, and have used pigs for sniffing out stuff but what else??

[edit on 2-8-2005 by warpboost]
ed. to add BB code for quote

[edit on 2-8-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I have actually seen a little thing on this im sure, as part of some doco on the discovery channel. Thanks for the link, it's really interesting isn' it?

I kind of feel sorry for the dophins though, having to be blown up by mines and such

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ekul08
I kind of feel sorry for the dophins though, having to be blown up by mines and such

The dolphins use their sonar to locate mines and then they attach a marker buoy so human divers can deal with the device. The dolphins don’t actually detonate the device….thank God.

join