It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XBOX 360 To Retail for $299?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Rumors are currently going around that Microsofts new console, the XBOX 360, will retail for around $299.

Xbox 360 price leaked claim
According to unconfirmed leaks from employees of the ubiquitous American retail giant Wal-Mart, the Xbox 360 is to go to retail at a price of $299.99 which is around what has been expected.

Read more... (The Inquirer)

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I actually expected this next generation of consoles to retail for about $399 so the $299 price tag, if true, is awesome news.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
300 bucks? That's a lot. I guess they expect to get a few right away no matter what, and want to make some money that way. For $300 dollars, though, I wouldn't consider getting it at all. $200 is the limit for me.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
i doubt thats the price unless they decided to make the same price as the xbox and ps2 first came out. its more like 400 bucks or maybe 350.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I heard it was gonna be 700 bucks

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
That's not really alot for the 360. It was projected to retail at $700 due to parts. This is excellent news for people that are looking for a new console.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I heard that the PS3 is going to be so expensive, that they won't even say the price yet! I've never owned a console, but by coincedence, I want one when two new ones are comming out! If it was last year, I would of gotten a PS2, but now, I'm waiting for the shoot-out to see who's the best. I'm leaning towards the PS3 though. One, because the PS's are big in Japan, and have a bigger power base. Two, Bill Gates is The Man (and The Man is always keeping us down). I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Choco, party, good, good!

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
You guys have to remember that Microsoft and Sony Don't really make money on the sale of consoles for the first couple of years. They actually loose money. They make their profits on the sale of software. So they sell the consoles cheap at a loss in order to get a large user base. Once that's established the make back the money and profits through software licensing.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The PS3 will retail at $700. Parts wise is costs $1000! They will regain lost profit from the games sales which I hear will be very expensive. The XBOX 360 is the way to go, Revolution not so much but keep it in mind.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
PS3 $1000!!!!!! Gawd, if thats gonna be the the price I gotta start saving right now before it comes out next year!

[edit on 3-8-2005 by Striker122]

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
1,000 bucks?

No
Freaking
Way

I'm gonn buy an N64 for 20 dollars and let my brother have the ps2. End of story.

posted on Aug, 3 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
There is abosolutely no way in hell that I will spend more than $300 for a Console.

$700 bucks? For a a couple hundred more I can build a pretty decent gaming pc and the money would be better spent.

$700 who the hell are they kidding.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I have read that the xbox360 was originally priced at $299, but sony priced the ps3 at $499. So microsoft has bumped the cost up to $399 and still sell at a cheaper price.

Sony seems to be gouging here, how can microsoft have theirs priced $200 cheaper, Microsoft is not known for throwing money away

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
right now you can pre-order your xbox360 for $599.93 or $699.92...

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It's £279.00 on pre-order here in the UK and that's the bumper pack, not the barebone system.

Still, it's cheaper or about the same price as a decent graphics card for the PC, so I'll probably go for the console!
I'll wait until after Christmas I expect anyway, maybe they will be down in price a bit by then.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   
dont know what you all complaining about it retailing here at #279 pounds.

that what roughly 350 or 400 dollars now we are hard done by in the UK always conned more than any other country.

if you got to have a console i say xbox 360 its got a bigger force behind it.....and with games like halo 3/4 perfect dark (you know itbe ace) it going be a hard task to match as i know i am fed up of the reruns on the ps how many more metal gear solids can they make on the same damn strategy same we splinter cell....first one was good but the second was tedious.

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldEagle
The PS3 will retail at $700. Parts wise is costs $1000! They will regain lost profit from the games sales which I hear will be very expensive. The XBOX 360 is the way to go, Revolution not so much but keep it in mind.

Not true. The PS3 will retail at about $400 and it costs $500 to make.

My thinking, though, is that the PS3 is (factually) much more powerful than the XBox 360. So I'm going to wait a couple months and spend a bit more for the great leap it has over the XB360.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

The 360 gets two spins: the $299 non-backwards compatible "Core System" and the $399 package with 20GB HD, controller, headset, HD cables, and remote control.

www.gamespot.com...

The "Core" Package looks rather useless comparitively, and $300 USD is still quite a lot. Although when you get Ken Kutaragi of Sony saying, "The PS3 will be expensive" and "We want people to want it so much that they'd be willing to pay anything to have [the PS3]" it doesn't sound like PS3 is going to be a bargain.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zurahn

The "Core" Package looks rather useless comparitively, and $300 USD is still quite a lot. Although when you get Ken Kutaragi of Sony saying, "The PS3 will be expensive" and "We want people to want it so much that they'd be willing to pay anything to have [the PS3]" it doesn't sound like PS3 is going to be a bargain.

Actually, if you would have read what I said before you, the PS3 will cost about the same as the normal, $400 package of the 360. And it's much much much more powerful.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by iceofspades

Originally posted by Zurahn

Actually, if you would have read what I said before you, the PS3 will cost about the same as the normal, $400 package of the 360. And it's much much much more powerful.

Odd that you say will when there is no official word. Besides, I don't really care if it launches at only:shk: $400, that's more than I'd be willing to spend. And obviously if there are two consoles entirely focussed on producing the most powerful machine possible, the one coming out later will be more powerful -- but up to this point all Sony has been showing us are the same cinematic game trailer tactic they took with the PS1 and PS2, which both failed to deliver on their promises. Also, what is all this power going to be used for? Better AI and physics? There are plenty of games out there right now that have substandard AI and physics and it's not because of power (not to say there won't be some improvements, but it's not going to suddenly take great leaps and bounds. Beyond that, you can't really increase the scope of games because we already have sandbox games and development costs in the millions.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Please try to think about what you're saying before you say it. If a console costs $1000 to make, they aren't going to sell it for $750. That would be essentially paying people $350 to take it away. No smart company will take on a financially unviable concept like that. And if they do, I guarantee bankruptcy before next June.

Say a game costs $70 a piece... that means they have to sell you five games before they BREAK EVEN.

There isn't a product out there that you can buy that hasn't been marked up. That isn't anything to do with the "System Wars"... that's just basic economics. Say what you will... but I refuse to believe it. And if it is happening... dumbest-companies-ever. (and would also mean your games would probably be marked up 200%...)

[edit on 22-10-2005 by Yarcofin]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join