It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transcript of Tim Russert's question to astronauts regarding other intelligent life in the universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Here's the part of Russert's 7/31/05 Meet the Press interview with astronauts Eileen Collins, Andrew Thomas, and Charles Camarda dealing with whether or not they believe that other intelligent life exists in the universe:

MR. RUSSERT: The question for all of you: planet Earth, in the Milky Way galaxy--Milky Way just one of 100 billion galaxies--do any of you have any doubt that there's intelligent life beyond Earth?

DR. THOMAS: Well, Tim, you're quite right, the universe is a vast ocean and we are barely wetting out feet in the beach of that ocean. There are huge distances out there. The immensity is almost unimaginable. Given that, I would say it's highly likely that there is life somewhere out there in some form, probably a form that's not even recognizable to us. I'm quick to point out that that doesn't meant that they're visiting us in UFOs, because I don't believe that is the case, but I do believe that out there deep in the universe there may indeed be other sentient life.

MR. RUSSERT: Charles Camarda, same question, intelligent life beyond Earth?

DR. CAMARDA: I would say probably odds are there is intelligent life out there. I think that's one of the reasons why people choose to explore space. That's why we go into space, to explore the unknown. And it would be great if we could discover that there is life on another planet and we're working on it and that's why we're going to the moon and to Mars.

MR. RUSSERT: Eileen Collins, intelligent life beyond Earth?

COL. COLLINS: Oh, I believe we need to keep on exploring. We're just taking baby steps here with the space shuttle and the space station. We're going to go back to the moon. It's part of--our country's plan is to get people back to moon, back--onto Mars. We're going to get out there and find out. I also do believe that. I think it would be--it's kind of unimaginable that, you know, we would really be alone in this universe. I think that, you know, probably not our generation but future generations of people on Earth will find intelligent life.

"I'm quick to point out that that doesn't meant that they're visiting us in UFOs, because I don't believe that is the case, but I do believe that out there deep in the universe there may indeed be other sentient life."-- Dr. Thomas

Can anyone say government stooge? Russert never asked him anything about UFOs or UFOs visiting Earth. Why did he volunteer this 'opinion'?

Note to Dr. Thomas: Keep toeing the company line. Thanks for nothing you sellout!!!!

Peace

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Dr Love]

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Yeah I noticed that myself -- he was jumping over himself to get that in...

Can anyone say disinfo agent?

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Yeah dj, it really seemed out of place in the context of the rest of his answer. I thought it was pretty cool of Russert to even ask the question in the first place. I'd like to know what Russert really thought about the answers he was given. I'd be willing to bet that he believes we're being visited.

Peace

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
A line that stuck out to me was made by Col. Collins:

We're going to go back to the moon. It's part of--our country's plan is to get people back to moon, back--onto Mars.

BACK ONTO MARS?? Now, maybe she just misspoke. But to all the conspiracy nuts on here who believe we used flying saucer technology and/or alien assistance to go to Mars back in the 60's, before our well-publicized Moon trip in '69, this will be further evidence supporting their clames! Sort of like when Rumsfeld "misspoke" about shooting down the plane over Pennsylvania on 9/11.

Just thought anyone who didn't notice that line would get a kick out of it!

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I noticed that line and was about the post the same thing.

Back to Mars? I think she misspoke... many government/military people are prone to misspeaking... that's when they tell the truth.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I'm kind of surprised by the lack of replies on this one. I thought it would get more play from the UFOers out there.

I think these astronauts are giving coached responses. I think all astronauts are told before they venture in to space about what kinds of things they will see and are told how important it is for them to keep their collective mouths shut. I think they are told that their careers depend on it. I'm sure as time goes by it becomes harder and harder for the government to keep the clamps on more and more astronauts. This is the reason, I think, that manned missions will soon be coming to an end. The insulation problems seem to be a logical step towards that end.

These particular astronauts are still relatively young and have their futures to worry about. Gordon Cooper spilled the beans towards the end of his life because I think he felt he owed it to the public and didn't really have anything to lose at his advanced age. I know who I believe.

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Yeah I noticed that myself -- he was jumping over himself to get that in...

Can anyone say disinfo agent?

I always throw that in, normally so i'm not looked on as a total wacko by whoever i'm talking to. Most people have ETE=UFO occupant so embedded in their minds yoiu need to say it.

[edit typos]

[edit on 2/8/05 by minimi]

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Here, for reference, is the link to the full transcript online:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Yeah.....back to mars? I thought we only had robots land on mars....Did i miss something?

top topics

join