It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to develop unique spaceships to exclude tile-chipping accidents

page: 1

join
share:
VDS

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Here is a article at english.pravda.ru...

Looks like Russia is set to dominate space again.

"Using new materials for heat insulation is one of the project's major design achievements

A new Russian "hybrid" re-usable space vehicle will be built without using tiles, the most vulnerable component of U.S. Space Shuttles, according to a statement made by Vladimir Syromyatnikov, director general of consortium Kosmicheskaya Regata (an affiliate of the Rocket Space Corporation Energia.

"The concept is based on a combination of capsule space vehicles (Soyuz) and the winged space vehicles (Buran), the project aims to ensure more safety for space missions," said Mr. Syromyatnikov.

The new vehicle will fly as a capsule the longest part of the journey. The lander's wings will be kept folded and protected by heat insulation. The protective screen will be released during the reentry and the vehicle will fold out the winds to land as an airplane. The new vehicle will combine the positive characteristics of both Soyuz and Buran vehicles. Unlike the winged space vehicle, it will have heat insulation built out of heat-resistant alloys. No tiles will be used.

The development of the new vehicle will enable designers to get rid of the tiles, the most vulnerable component of U.S. Space Shuttles. "Using new materials for heat insulation is one of the project's major design achievements because the tiles are faulty and too expensive, they have to be repaired before and after the launch," said Mr. Syromyatnkov.

I think if this trend in NASA keeps up, it is the end of wonderful era of space travel for the U.S. Perhaps it's Russia or maybe even China who will take the mantle of premium space power.

[edit on 1-8-2005 by VDS]

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Looks like Russia is set to dominate space again.

Old visions of the past resurrecting themselves?
Good to be positive, boastful, and presumptuous, is it not?
Build it first.

seekerof

VDS

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Build it first.

True, actions speak louder than words. I was merely stating the fact that NASA seems to be on a decline, naturally when one declines, plenty of others usually que up to take others place. In the case of Russia, maybe reverting back to it's glory days of space travel.

Also It's Kliper spacecraft should be mentioned as well,

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Russia is touting the spacecraft as a replacement for their workhorse spacecraft, the Soyuz. Much like NASA’s Crew Exploration Vehicle (CEV), future destinations for the Kliper are said to be the International Space Station, the Moon, as well as Mars, according to Russian officials. It could also serve as an emergency rescue craft for space station crews.

The Kliper could be in service in the 2010-2011 timeframe

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Russia has already peaked, declined and set about the next logical phase, that is commercialization. The Superstars of the next Spacerace isn't gonna be Russia or the US, it's gonna be countries like China, India, Isreal, EU, and Brazil.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I recall speaking to a person employed by a military contractor who saw three F-111 sized waveriders flying in formation over an air force base in the western US.
This person said that they were at one point low enough that some structural details could be seen and that this person was intrigued that these aircraft had no tiles, yet they were without a doubt waveriders.

Unfortunately, there is no way to prove that this sighting actually happened other than the word of someone who has never bs'ed me before.

Do I expect you guys to believe it? Doesn't matter, but I gotta believe that there is thermal disapating technology available in 2005 that is far superior to that on a 20-30 yr old space shuttle design.

[edit on 8/1/2005 by bios]

new topics

top topics

join