It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Astronomers Claim Discovery of 10th Planet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
In the Hitchiker's Guide series, when astronomers discovered the tenth planet, they named it Rupert, after the parrot that belonged the that astronomer that made the discovery. Then all of the astrologers went out of business because everyone knew what happened when Jupiter aligned with Mars astrologically, but when Rupert aligned with Mars, no one knew what happened.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Some fun astrology info:

Years ago I had read about there having to be another planet because Mercury is shared by Gemini and Virgo, and Virgo must ultimately have it's own plant (it's assumed Mercury truly belongs to Gemini).

So, for astrology, this may have some major implications too. What fun!

Has the day of the Virgo finally arrived?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
``

I wonder if the object/planet
conforms to the Bodes' Law spacing between planets?

"In 1766, a German mathematician Johann D. Titius
developed a arithmetical relationship between the
approximate distances of the planets from the sun."

google-> Bodes Law-> or visit www.whatsupg.com/bodeslaw.htm
-or even zetatalk, for different takes

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Do you know whether this discovery is a normal planet shape
or a pyramid shape ?

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I think someone did this topic yesterday as I was going to.

[edit on 30-7-2005 by The time lord]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
(Mod Edit- Atsnn is not the place for funny comments. Atsnn is for news,)

[edit on 30-7-2005 by asala]

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
C'mon, this is the News Forum, not kiddie time corner.

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
"That's NO Planet!"

"That's a Space Station!"

posted on Jul, 30 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Speaking of the Hitchhiker's Guide, I've changed my mind. It should be called Magrethea.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Why don't we wait until the IAU oficially declares this object a planet--they may not you know. They could finally decide that Pluto is not a planet any more as well since they have been mulling that question over for quite a while now.

In all probability there are dozens more of these things out there. If an object two or three times the size of this object were out beyond Pluto, but not in the plane of the ecliptic, we wouldn't have any idea of its existence.

Vulcan was the name given to an object that was supposed to exist between Mercury and the Sun. It was supposedly spotted many times in the past, but has since, allegedly, been drawn into the Sun.

[edit on 31-7-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
Why don't we wait until the IAU oficially declares this object a planet--they may not you know. They could finally decide that Pluto is not a planet any more as well since they have been mulling that question over for quite a while now.

[edit on 31-7-2005 by Astronomer68]

How long could that take? A quick look at their website and I can't even find mention of this. Their news page seems extremely "not current" and their structure rather disorganized. (Just my opinion of course).

Seems if they still haven't figured out Pluto, we won't have an official 10th planet in my life time.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Pretty soon we are gonna have discovered enough planets that our total will jive with the ancient ones........ its about time. Of course you have to subtract one cuz of the destruction of the one that used to orbit where the asteroid belt is.
I like the name Planet X, besides representing 10 in our old calculus averse numeric system, try calculating PI in Roman Numerals, but......... it could be announced that the new planet is named after Racer X. You remember him, the secret brother of speed racer who always kept himself out of sight until he was needed then appeared and saved the day.......okay maybe I am the only Racer X fan. Anyway, if this thing, or Sedna, etc. are full of aliens or long lost siblings, that might ease our disciplining when they return to see how are stewardship of the garden of eden is faring.........
uh oh, doesn't look good, we kinda wrecked the joint. Boy are they gonna be p'ed off, and we are likely in for a good spanking......... or it could all be a false alarm. I don't know.

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

okay maybe I am the only Racer X fan

Is this your man?

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
Nah I say we kick out pluto, no reason to have that planet, heck this new planet can even take its name. All pluto is, is this tiny lil speck of ice and dust, I never have really considered it much of a planet anyway, and I am almost certain that some scientists believe that it is just a large like asteriod.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join