It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does "Christian Nation" mean?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I have heard that some people think of the US as a Christian Nation. Aside from the fact that the founding fathers are touted to be Christians of one flavor or another, what does it mean when someone says that the USA is a "Christian Nation"?

That we should all be Christians?
That Christianity is the one true faith?
That all citizens are meant to go to church?

I mean, why do people say this? What conclusion can I draw when someone says the US is founded on Christianity? Not to be rude, but so what? What does that MEAN?

Should my question be misunderstood or unclear, please finish this sentence. The US is a Christian Nation, so therefore...

Edit: Title changed to more accurately reflect question.

[edit on 29-7-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
No the US is not a Christian Nation. There is a reason that our founding fathers didn't choose a religion. Because if there is a main religion then freedom of religion won't worrk really well and leave a lot of other rooms for abusing this power. A lot people in the US are Christians but not a Christian Nation. Thats a big NONO.

there are about 224,437,959 Christians in the US, that kind of a lot... but no we are not a Christian Nation.

df1

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I will let the founding fathers speak for themselves:

“Every man, conducting himself as a good citizen, and being accountable to God alone for his religious opinion, ought to be protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of his own conscience.” -- George Washington

"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg . . . -- Thomas Jefferson

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind." -- Thomas Paine

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What has been its fruits? More or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution." -- James Madison

"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved--the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of greed has produced!" -- John Adams

"When a religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its professors are obliged to call for help of the civil power, 'tis a sign, i apprehend, of its being a bad one." -- Ben Franklin

Believe what you like, but the evidence does support the notion that America was founded a Christian nation.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm not asking whether or not it is. I'm not arguing either side on that. I'm asking what the phrase "Christian Nation" means.

You seem to know that the US is NOT a Christian nation. Do you know what it means to be a Christian Nation?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Are you people reading my post?????????

PS. I am NOT religious in the slightest, I'm asking for a definition of Christian Nation.

[edit on 29-7-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ulshadow
there are about 224,437,959 Christians in the US, that kind of a lot... but no we are not a Christian Nation.

The US is a melting pot. That means every religion. Hell, even the Christians are diverse. RC, CoE, Bapt, Pres. Morman, Pent. 7DA, JW, more Evangelists than you can count. You see my point?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I do'nt believe any nation is religious all the other nations who think they are do so by force and really do not count as faith. But yes America holds by the Bible and the president holds his hand on the Bible when selected as president and chooses a verse from it.

Funnly enough there is a book called 'American Prophecies' that deal with the fact the verses the president chooses end up living to that verse and reflects thier time in office.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Are you people reading my post?????????

PS. I am NOT religious in the slightest, I'm asking for a definition of Christian Nation.

Well, I'm not getting your point. Guessing? I'd say Italy, 95% Catholic. Is that what you mean?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Well, I'm not getting your point. Guessing? I'd say Italy, 95% Catholic. Is that what you mean?

No, but I appreciate you trying!

Many Christians say that the United States is a "Christian Nation" because the founding fathers were Christians and their faith influenced their decisions as they wrote the Declaration and the Constitution and so on. Ok, fine.

What I'm asking is what does it mean to be a Christian Nation? IF a person believes that the US is a Christian Nation, what does that imply?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   

What I'm asking is what does it mean to be a Christian Nation? IF a person believes that the US is a Christian Nation, what does that imply?

Cool, thanks for the clarification. NO, America isn't a "christian nation", it's a melting pot. It accepts people of all religions. That openness deems that it isn't strictly a CN. Immigration of other religions is not new. Chinese immigrants have been in America for 150 years. I don't think they were Christians. Not to mention those that were brought to America.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

The US is a melting pot. That means every religion. Hell, even the Christians are diverse. RC, CoE, Bapt, Pres. Morman, Pent. 7DA, JW, more Evangelists than you can count. You see my point?

???
huh? what? what are RC, CoE, Bapt, Pres. Morman, Pent. 7DA, JW???

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

???

Roman Catholic, Baptist, Presbeterian, Morman, Penticostal, 7th Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witness.

I really appreciate those who have tried to answer my question. However, no one has answered it. I am NOT askng, "Is the US a Christian Nation"

I'm asking what does the term "Christian Nation" mean?

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

???

Sorry, Roman Catholic, Church of England, Baptist, Presbaterian, Morman, Pentacostal, 7th Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witnesses. There are many more.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I'm asking what does the term "Christian Nation" mean?

I'll take a stab at it.
A Christian Nation, by definition, would be one or both of two things:

Literal Useage
A sovereign nation which, conspicuously & specifically, bases their entire system of government on the concepts & precepts of the Christian religion. As there are over 35,000 denominations of Protestantism alone, a synod would have to be convened to determine which facets and interpretations thereof would be utilised as the core of the law.
- Subdefinition: A nation, as above, which relies on, as it's governmental agency, a council or synod proclaiming religious authority based on Christian doctrine.

Common Useage
Any sovereign nation which has a clear & undeniable majority of it's population practicing and/or professing adherence to any Christian religious denomination. No actual percentage is defined, but a figure of 75-80% is generally considered as such.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   

I have heard that some people think of the US as a Christian Nation.

Original post.

Later post:

really appreciate those who have tried to answer my question. However, no one has answered it. I am NOT askng, "Is the US a Christian Nation"

I believe we have answered your question, unless, you're changing the question.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
It is prophecied that there will be a christian kingdom here on earth for a thousand years. It will have a King who is King of kings.
Besides that one, there are no other christian nations

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lordling
A Christian Nation, by definition, would be one or both of two things:

Literal Useage
A sovereign nation which, conspicuously & specifically, bases their entire system of government on the concepts & precepts of the Christian religion. As there are over 35,000 denominations of Protestantism alone, a synod would have to be convened to determine which facets and interpretations thereof would be utilised as the core of the law.
- Subdefinition: A nation, as above, which relies on, as it's governmental agency, a council or synod proclaiming religious authority based on Christian doctrine.

Common Useage
Any sovereign nation which has a clear & undeniable majority of it's population practicing and/or professing adherence to any Christian religious denomination. No actual percentage is defined, but a figure of 75-80% is generally considered as such.

THANK YOU!

So, when people argue whether or not the US is a "Christian Nation", they're arguing the literal usage, right? Because there is no argument that 76% of the US citizens are Christians.

And, I would argue that by the literal usage, we are NOT a Christian Nation, simply because, although much of our system of government is based on Christian concepts & precepts, it isn't entirely based on that. After all, it's not against the law to not go to church on Sunday. It's not against the law to dishonor your parents.

So, it sounds like a "Christian Nation" (by your literal definition) is one where the line between church and state has been erased.

Again, thank you.

intrepid, thank you for your efforts. I believe if you read my posts carefully, you'll see that you didn't answer the question I was asking. It was not a yes-or-no question, rather one requiring a definition.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   

intrepid, thank you for your efforts. I believe if you read my posts carefully, you'll see that you didn't answer the question I was asking. It was not a yes-or-no question, rather one requiring a definition.

Cool, you were looking for an answer that you could manipulate to make your point, truth be damned. I didn't know that. I'll look for it in later posts. Maybe I'll be able to digress enough from reallity to contribute.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Taking up the cause...

Is Egypt a muslim nation?
I will argue that there are no muslim nations.
No christian nations
Not even a hindu or jewish nation..... Using your logic.

In the end, the fact of the matter is that the USA is at the start of its Post Christian era. In fact, if you look at the established pattern in the OT...the human race is pushing toward its Post christian era and diluting the gospel with the loves of the world

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
In the case of the US, I think it's actually a good thing that it's not a Christian nation (just as it wouldn't be good to be a religious state at all).

There are so many people from so many different cultures here; the US is unique in that context, and it would be a mistake, in my opinion.

A page for those interested, listing the various religions and adherents within the US.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join