It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Irish Republican Army calls it quits on terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
In a major announcement today, Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams called an end to the IRA's campaigns of bombing and armed violence in Northern Ireland. Tony Blair comments on this hopefully, and there is a cautious reception in the US, where it is believed a number of powerful Irish Americans influenced this development.

www.newsday.com
July 28, 2005, 6:05 PM EDT

BELFAST, Northern Ireland -- The Irish Republican Army renounced the use of violence against British rule Thursday and said it will disarm -- a dramatic end to the IRA's 35-year threat to Northern Ireland and a boost toward peace making.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair praised what he called "a step of unparalleled magnitude," and leaders in Ireland and the United States also heralded the announcement as historic.

But some analysts and politicians warned that the outlawed IRA -- which pointedly will not disband -- left wiggle room for its members to keep some weapons and control a criminal empire in a territory whose Roman Catholic and Protestant communities remain deeply divided.

Sinn Fein party leader Gerry Adams, who reportedly quit the IRA's seven-man command in May after three decades, said the IRA was effectively ending its self-declared war to force Northern Ireland out of the United Kingdom...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There are already some skeptical comments from certain Protestant political leaders, who say they want actions not words. But the spirit in which this announcement was made is a breath of fresh air in a nation wracked by terrorism since the 1960s. It is a model for proactively avoiding violence and using non-violent means, and it is more than a sideline to the "war on terror". Is this a peace that promises to last?

[edit on 28-7-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

[edit on 28-7-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

[edit on 29-7-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 29-7-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 30-7-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think it is a serious attempt by the Republican movement to advance the 'Peace Process'

The statement today is far different than any other that has come before.

A unilaterally decision to dump arms without the requirement for others to do similar is indeed a change.

Tho having lived in Belfast for the past 41 years i can smell the familar whiff of behind the scenes games.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Gosh. How nice of them.

Words are meaningless. If the IRA is giving up military action, then why isn't it disbanding?? If there is not be any more violence, then whats it sticking around for? The Sinn Fein is the 'political' wing of it, and the Republic of Ireland has an actual army, so what are they sticking around for? A few years of peace would be encouraging but eventually they're going to have to dissolve alltogether, or become like a social club or something.

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
These seem to be fair questions.

Camaraderie, fellowship, nostalgia don't really cut it as valid heartfelt reasons to remain in allegiance with what has ostensibly been a terrorist organisation. Perhaps the I.R.A. needs to redefine its mission somewhat radically.

The Salvation Army is at the other end of the spectrum of armies. Is there a happy medium?

What's the IRA for now?

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Isn't this a repeat of this already approved submission:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I think Britain is getting serious about terror and the IRA probably believes that the terror MO has probably run its course.

[edit on 2005/7/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I think Britain is getting serious about terror and the IRA probably believes that the terror MO has probably run its course.

I think what may have turned the tide so to speak and I mean may just have nugged this situation into existence, are the new terror laws likely to be introduced. This could mean members could be held for long periods of time, while investigations take place.

It has been a long struggle for this to happen, lets hope it is the end of it all.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Well there goes Billy Meier's Prophecies...

He said that WW3 would take place at the same time the IRA were fighting.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4

I think what may have turned the tide so to speak and I mean may just have nugged this situation into existence, are the new terror laws likely to be introduced. This could mean members could be held for long periods of time, while investigations take place.

the timing is suspect...
after the 7-7 & 21-7 bomber events,
after the'shoot to kill' 1st sacrifice from Brazil,
after starting 'Operation KRATOS'...
we can imagine negotiations were going on long before the London bombing incidents,
but the sudden resolution & stand down, is a surprise.
and makes one wonder what's known & said, behind-closed-doors

[edit on 29-7-2005 by St Udio]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   

i agree...worldwide opinion right now is strongly against terrorism no matter the cause...this rebranding should ensure continued support of their cause and the ira

however, an irb(andits) might pop-up and still use violence...but hey its not the ira, right?

CX

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Might be me just being very dubious about this whole statement, but have the IRA actualy made any move to dump their arms? I mean has anyone seen them chucking them anywhere particular or handing them in to anyone? I only ask this because by the looks of it the military has already started dismantling certain posts in N. Ireland because of what Sinn Fein said yesterday. I'm just wondering if we are just thinking everything is rosey now and are not even waiting to see whether or not they hand over a single bullet or not?

www.sky.com...

CX.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This is certainly long awaited glad tidings!
But MA hit it on the spot... "What's the IRA for now?"
What will the IRA do now?
and does anyone know who these "powerful Irish Americans [who] influenced this development" are?

I do hope this leads to peace in Ireland.
Tony Blair seems to be getting quite vigilant in his endeavors.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I hope that NORAID stop sponsoring terrorism now

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This will be great news if the words from the IRA are followed up with actual deeds.

Let's see, this announcement reduces the list of practicing terrorist groups in the world to islamofascist radical muslims and who else now?

Maybe it will start a process where the remaining terrorists will decide to give it up as well.

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tassadar
This is certainly long awaited glad tidings!
But MA hit it on the spot... "What's the IRA for now?"
What will the IRA do now?

Wait! You're making it sound like you and masked avatar are going to actually miss all the violence and terrorism of the"old" IRA. You can't be serious on that, can you? I doubt the people of Britain share those sentiments.

top topics

join