It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

By how much has the petrol/gasoline price gone up in your country in the last 5 years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Just wanted to get a global picture..
I India its more or less DOUBLED in that period!!!

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Well, I don't have any exact numbers for the U.S. but I would imagine that much of the world experienced a doubling of gas prices over the last five years. I certainly don't think gasoline got any cheaper during the last five years for anyone.

Edited: Correct Spelling

[edit on 7/29/2005 by DCFusion]

posted on Jul, 29 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Gas prices have doubled in Canada over the last five years. And five years ago is when I got rid of my car.

Of course, most of that is taxes.

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Ah.. so its more or less similar throughout the world..

Still must be tough on the govts cause crude has tripled in the last 5 years..
from $22 a barrel to $63 a barrel I think..
This is peak oil people
.. Its going to peter out very soon..

posted on Aug, 2 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Charts screwed up......

[edit on 2-8-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   
^^^ Huh?? What was that about?

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Fuel prices in the UK have been crazy for a long time but are still going up.
I filled up the car at my local filling station a couple of days ago and Diesel (I drive a TDi engined car) is now 91.9p a Litre.
That works out at £4.13 / Gallon. Or, for the US readers using the US Gallon $6.18 USD / US Gallon.

I switched from driving a petrol engined car to diesel way back due to better fuel economy but, since diesel engined cars have become increasingly popular, so the price of diesel fuel has increased greatly. It is now, in most places, more expensive than petrol

OK, I get the benefit of good economy (my car will go 600 miles on a fill - 55 Litre tank) but I see this as nothing but blatant profiteering by the government charging so much duty for people trying to be more economical.

As for the Peak oil, I don't think we are there yet. The demand has increased with developing nations using a lot more (India and China probably being the biggest new consumers) and more oil is being pumped out of the ground. Whilst more money has been invested in drilling and exploration, the refining capacity has not increased greatly. Add to this the fact that speculators drive up the price each time there is any natural disaster, real or possible, and the lower dollar value against other currencies. If the dollar value drops then oil producers have to raise the barrel price to retain the same value. That's gotta be a big factor and downside to pricing oil in only one currency.

Anyhoos, the oil companies are all posting record profits and the speculators are laughing all the way to the bank as well. It all seems to be a bit of an artificial situation.

[edit on 5-8-2005 by Britguy]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
during the 1999 year my son was complaining at $1.36 now its at $2.70 so i would say. HELL yes.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I live in California, san francisco

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
geesshhh i don't remember what i paid 5yrs ago...........but i'm guessing it was around 1.25 or so a gallon periodically....

i just filled up my tank this morning and paid 2.21 per gallon for regular.
i live in Chattanooga, TN.

when i filled up on wed i paid 2.11 a gallon.

i'm guessing the big jump is being blamed on the death of the saudi king.

WHAT a crock.

angie

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
I switched from driving a petrol engined car to diesel way back due to better fuel economy but, since diesel engined cars have become increasingly popular, so the price of diesel fuel has increased greatly. It is now, in most places, more expensive than petrol

Weird!! How come??

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3

Originally posted by Britguy

Weird!! How come??

Diesel engines have been getting cleaner and cleaner over the last few years and are more fuel efficient than petrol engines. They rev a lot lower but produce more torque generally than petrol engines. They also produce much less CO2. Not all diesel cars sound like tractors these days either

As well as good mpg figures - average is about 45 - 50mpg, depending on how I drive (like a Nun, of course) - it's also as quick as similar petrol engined models.

A few years ago, the yearly motor vehicle tax we pay in the UK was linked to CO2 emissions. As a result, diesel cars will all usually fall into the lowest price brackets for taxation. At that time, diesel fuel was still a lot cheaper than petrol so, as the demand for diesel increased, so the price started to rise. You'd think that we'd be encouraged to drive cleaner engined cars with better fuel economy wouldn't you? Perhaps it has something to do with about 75% of the cost of fuel going to the government coffers in duty

[edit on 5-8-2005 by Britguy]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Florida gas prices are $2.30 a gallon. Althoe its kinda hard to find gas in some gas stations after the hurricane in the panhandle of fla.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
To Duzey

Where did you get this, that price had double in the last five years, I don't think so, maybe from 0.70$ or 0.80$ to 1.05, this is not double.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
As a sophomore in high school, it cost a measly .88.9 or so per gallon (average), and now looking at the boards, I'm staring at prices anywhere from 1.75 to 2.00 more per gallon, USD.

It's a bit sickening, wot?

(I am now nearly a Junior in College)

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
around 5 years ago here in montréal, canada, gas was like 0.499 CAN $. now its at 1.07$, so a little bit more than doubled. I can foresee gas being like 4$ a liter in the next 5 years.

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Right before I got rid of my car, I was filling up on a regular basis around 55 cents a litre. And that was only when I couldn't find some stations having a 'gas war' for 49.9 cents. Now where I am it is normal to see the prices go up to as much as $1.09.

So, I'm off by a penny or two.

She warned that fluctuations at the pumps will likely be around for a while, although consumers aren't seeing the kind of price wars that marked the Vancouver landscape in the late 1990s. In the summer of 1999, several gas stations shut their doors, unable to compete with stations offering deals as low as 48.9 cents per litre.

www.vancourier.com

It depends where you were.....

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm so glad I got rid of my car about 6 years ago and jumped onto transit because gas in Ontario has gone up almost double what it was 5 years ago.

I have a great link that might be of interest to everyone. You can look up the price at almost any gas station in North America and it also gives you high and low prices for every city and town.

www.gasbuddy.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   
If its around $1 a litre in the US then its quite surprising that its EXACTLY the same in India..Rupees 47

1$=45 rupees approx..
Surely a coincidence aye?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
If its around $1 a litre in the US then its quite surprising that its EXACTLY the same in India..Rupees 47

But it's not a dollar a liter in the US. It's about $2.25 - $2.75 a gallon.

Around 55 - 70 cents a liter.

It's not very meaningful to compare prices this way, you really have to look at the average income in each country to figure out the real cost to the people. If I have to work 10 hours a week, and you have to work 3 hours a week to pay for gas, that's the real cost.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join