It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goooooooogle conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
It's long been known that google as a company tends to be left leaning. I was at m-w looking up fascism for another topic and the ad server sponsored by goooooogle brought up a thing on Carl Rove everytime you searched fascist or fascism.

Is this not brainwashing? Associating images or people with words that support your idealogy?

Let's look it up at www.m-w.com

2 : persuasion by propaganda or salesmanship

interesting. the ad server from gooooooogle always puts a "religion" ad with the keyword brainwashing is used. hmmm... this, I think is a true conspiracy of the left and I would like credit for being the one to discover it ;-) .

EDIT: I figured Media was the right place for this even though it is more kind of a new Media.

[edit on 27-7-2005 by Marid Audran]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Media is biased to the left in all major sources with few exceptions such as Fox news. The reason Carl Rove comes up when you type that is probably a combination of googles lean to the left and the fact that liberals use what we call talking points.

Talking points include phrases they use to smear the reputations of otherwise outsetanding american citizens. I am sure you will find many news outlests quoting liberal thinkers in saying fascism when speaking of republicans. It is a talking point.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Oh please! The net is the net and you will find on it what you want to find. This left/right stuff, wanted to use another word there, is bunk.

Thought people, that's where to start. Not conclusion, bias, info.

Try info before the rest. All else is ignorance.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Oh please! The net is the net and you will find on it what you want to find. This left/right stuff, wanted to use another word there, is bunk.

Thought people, that's where to start. Not conclusion, bias, info.

Try info before the rest. All else is ignorance.

Thought is where I started. I noticed a pattern and I brought it forward. You can't say left / right doesn't exist when it plainly does.

Rush is right (politically), Redford is left.

That is how people identify themselves. I am just pointing out how those self identifications have an effect on what they are putting out there.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran

Rush is right (politically), Redford is left. both are wrong

That is how people identify themselves. I am just pointing out how those self identifications have an effect on what they are putting out there.

And that is the problem, people take a stance without thinking. Just a stance.

Bold I added.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
See this:

A Google bomb or Google wash is an attempt to influence the ranking of a given site in results returned by the Google search engine. Due to the way that Google's PageRank algorithm works, a website will be ranked higher if the sites that link to that page all use consistent anchor text. Googlebomb is used both as a verb and a noun.

Wikipedia: Google Bomb

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
It's long been known that google as a company tends to be left leaning.

Like the time Google censored the torture images from Abu Gharib, while the other search engines like Yahoo, Lycos, Excite, etc. showed them. Those lefties!
*Shakes fist*

The ads Google use are based on a search algorithm, not a conspiracy. Google's search engine can be manipulated, the most famous example being Google Bombing.
(HERE is another good expanation of Google Bombing.)

EDIT: Oops! djohnsto77 beat me to it!

[edit on 27-7-2005 by curme]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
Those lefties!
*Shakes fist*

Well, I ain't a leftie but this pisses me off. You may be on my team, that doesn't make you right.

Polarity= bad.

Thought= good.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with "Google's PageRank algorithm." He is not talking about the results he gets when he searches a particular item, he is talking about the ads that come up next to those results. Algorithm isn't used to decide which ads come up. Google decides that.

So the original poster was correct. Google is left-leaning and this is further proof of it. Connecting the term "fascist" to Karl Rove is something that was done INTENTIONALLY by Google or a staff member of Google. It's not fair to those of us who use Google, who happen to be Conservative, to see this biased crap on our screens when we're researching something.

Would you want the names of top Democrats to come up in ads when you're searching the word "Communist"? I don't think so.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Advertisers decide which queries their ads should match, and then Google decides on placement, i.e., which ads to show and in what order. Google determines placement by an auction; the auction not only considers what the advertiser will pay for the ad, but also its click-through rate, i.e., how often users click on the ad. If users often click on an ad, Google will likely place the ad higher up on the results page. If the click-through rate of an ad falls below a certain level, indicating an ad isn't relevant to the query, Google removes the ad.

For the most part, you'll find advertisements pertinent to your query. However, Google's automatic matching to words on a page sometimes places an ad inappropriately. For example, in September of 2003, adjacent to a New York Post article about a gruesome murder in which the victim's body parts were stashed in a suitcase, Google listed an ad for suitcases. Since that incident, Google has improved its filters and automatically pulls ads from pages with disturbing content. So Google is unlikely to make another faux pas on a par with this one.

Google's Approach to Ads

Google and Overture also both use what's called "broad match" technology, which allows a marketer's ad for a single keyword to also appear for a combination of related keywords. That means an ad keyed to the word "ring" could turn up adjacent to the term "diamond ring." Also, an adult-related ad keyed to the word "sex" could land on sites categorized by other words related to "sex."

Because marketers pay only when people click on their ads, Google and its rivals stand to make more money by expanding their ad networks and by promoting broad-match technology. But the push to advance their advertising occasionally puts them in an awkward spot, when they have to manually fix ads that appear in the wrong place.
C-Net

I see liberals!

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

funny fox news not baise

thats the funniest thing i heard the whole week

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Here is an article you may be interested in on Google's left leaning advertising. I found it on Business Reform, but the article actually comes from World Net Daily. At the end, there are some other links that will be of interest along these lines.

Christian Exodus Banned from Google Ads:
Link 1

Link 2

Through these articles I found out appearently that Google considers anything anti-gay as hate speach even, if a person holds these views for religious reasons. As far as I know there are not any hate speach bills passed in the US. It is just all this political correctness (PC) non-sense. I really can't stand PC. There are times I will go out of my way not to be politically correct that is how much I dislike it.

Any how, here is an interesting google bombing. Under the search miserable failure is a direct link to the biography of President George W. Bush. I read that it only took 34 links to do this particular bomb.

[Mod Edit: Link format - Jak]

[edit on 27/2/08 by JAK]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
This has nothing to do with "Google's PageRank algorithm." He is not talking about the results he gets when he searches a particular item, he is talking about the ads that come up next to those results. Algorithm isn't used to decide which ads come up. Google decides that.

So the original poster was correct. Google is left-leaning and this is further proof of it. Connecting the term "fascist" to Karl Rove is something that was done INTENTIONALLY by Google or a staff member of Google. It's not fair to those of us who use Google, who happen to be Conservative, to see this biased crap on our screens when we're researching something.

Would you want the names of top Democrats to come up in ads when you're searching the word "Communist"? I don't think so.

Google doesn't decide what ads come up.

The person owning the site that gets advertised chooses the keywords his site needs to pop up for as an ad.

Everyone in this thread seriously needs to teach themselves about adwords and general advertising on google.

The only way google gets involved in what comes up is by removing ads in violation of the TOS.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
im suprised we have a super mod bashing the OP.
I can go to the index page and find at least 100 posts where the OP deserves bashing..

this one might have a little bit of merit and the SuperMod is here saying
]MOVE ALONG[ Nothing To See here..

what are the chances that some one who doesnt like
Rove bought THAT particular key word..

makes alot more sense than 50% of the active threads..

top topics

join