It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish Teen Charged With Stealing Numbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I saw a sheriff in Amish country on television once who said that nothing has ever happened in the backseat of a car that hasn't happened in an Amish buggy, but this has to be a new low, boom buggies. Try to say that three time real fast.

Yahoo

Callers complaining about loud music coming from a buggy led deputies to charge a 19-year-old Amish man with stealing house numbers and flower pots. David Byler was charged with theft and underage consumption of alcohol, both misdemeanors.

Callers to the Geauga County sheriff's office told dispatchers early Sunday about a buggy playing loud music and stealing items from outside houses in a rural area of northeast Ohio.

"When our officer caught up with him in the middle of the road, there were flower pots and house numbers in the buggy," sheriff's spokesman John Hiscox said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, maybe it's not a new low. Read below.

Related Stories:

Amish Youths Selling Drugs

Edgar Gingerich Murdered His Wife

Undercover Amish

[edit on 2005/7/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Amish custom is to, at the age of 18, I believe, allow your child to go out for two years. This two year period is when they do all the stuff they haven't been able to do for the past 18, and won't do if they return to the Amish life. Drugs, crime, sex, gambling, it's all in there. After the two years, they either return to their families and the Amish way of life, or not. If not, they are as good as dead to their families. It's very harsh.

So I am not surprised.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I had no idea there was a black market for house numbers and flower pots

I also wonder what type of music he was listening to?

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The article didn't mention the young man's music selection, but this might be in his collection somewhere:

www.electricamish.com...

Or perhaps, this is what he was listening to:

www.amishoutlaws.com...

[edit on 2005/7/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Amish custom is to, at the age of 18, I believe, allow your child to go out for two years. This two year period is when they do all the stuff they haven't been able to do for the past 18, and won't do if they return to the Amish life. Drugs, crime, sex, gambling, it's all in there. After the two years, they either return to their families and the Amish way of life, or not. If not, they are as good as dead to their families. It's very harsh.

So I am not surprised.

Here's an article about rumspringa. I don't think they are shunned unless they return to the church and then leave.

www.npr.org...

[edit on 2005/7/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
hahahaha!!!

"funny news week" is great...

top topics

join