It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methylprednisolone - Be Ware of It !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Do the benefits of the drug outweigh the potential side effects?

Thats true. There is always a trade off when it comes to side effects. You wont know how you'll react until you take it. We should always be weary about drugs that lists "may lead to death by whatever" as a side effect. People need to know what they're allergic to and their reactions before taking these drugs. The sad part is most people just want a quick fix without thinking about how it may effect them.

As far as cortisone treatment of Prednisone, it does activate peptic uclers in some people. But that can be fixed by tums or something if the benefit of Prednisone treatment eclipses the ulcer discomfort.

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by I_s_i_s
We should always be weary about drugs that lists "may lead to death by whatever" as a side effect. People need to know what they're allergic to and their reactions before taking these drugs.

Sadly many anaphylactic reactions just aren't predictable; you never know if you'll react until it's too late.

What amazes me is that most of us are more than willing to seek a second opinion when it comes to surgical procedures, but most of us don't even think of doing so when it comes to potentially dangerous drugs.

posted on Sep, 1 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
yet another example o failing mediacal systems around th world. My father had a similar incident with his diabetes in with the initial consulatation with the gp he was told he had an oral infection then he goes back 48 hours later to the gp and is told he needs to go to the hospital for diabetic stabilastion where we waited a gloruios 6 hours when they new his blood sugar levels are 28.8

its good to know your husbands on the mend

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I haven't heard of any deaths yet from this medecine, but i have seen posts (also in other boards from other ppl who have been victims of this medicine (either themselves or relatives). The FDA must be getting alot of "hand smoothing" to keep this poison in the market...

thanks everyone for the support

P.S. - to answer Tinkles question, no in this case the benefits did not outweight the side effects. Not only the all situation got only worse, but also its been 3 months now and the injury's recovery is very very slow. really not worth all the agravation.

Last year I had a case of bloodpoisoning due to a wasp bite, and I was given some other stuff for the infection and it gave me the worse nausea ever, but the infection went away in 2-3 days, so in that case it was worth to bear the side effects.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by BaastetNoir]

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
With the greatest of respect, and with the utmost empathy to you and your husband...

I do think it's unfair to label methylprednisolone automatically as being a poison - the implication is that it's "bad", and ignores the fact that it has saved the lives of millions of people.

Any and all medicines have the potential of triggering allergic and/or adverse reactions in some patients - that's just the nature of the beast. Even the most benign OTC medications can kill, in the wrong circumstances. And with the nature of us humans, on message boards relating to problems with the drug you're not going to see reports from the people who've been helped by it, either.

I'm truly sorry that you've both suffered from this, but in all honesty, I think it's actually one of the less (overall) obnoxious steroid treatments we actually have at all.

For most people, the benefits do actually outweigh the risks. The uses of this one in particular are almost countless; it can help everything from arthritis, to endocarditis, to lupus, to simple skin infections.

As in your husband's case, there are sometimes cases where you just don't know how you'll react to a particular substance...this doesn't mean it's automatically "bad" for the rest of us, you know?

I do hope that he is feeling much better soon. It's always sad to hear of someone suffering like that.

[edit on 5-9-2005 by Tinkleflower]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join