It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Major earthquake hits indian islands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Latest report are saying that there has been a large earthquake (7.2 on the Richter scale) near the Nicobar and Andaman indian islands, that may possibly cause another Tsunami.

www.sky.com
A major earthquake has struck the Nicobar Islands off India, according to the US Geological Survey.

The earthquake, which measured seven on the Richter scale, struck at 3.42pm.

More follows

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This may be caused be the large earthquake that was felt in tokyo in the earlier part of the day, where buildings were swaying, airports were closed and the trains stopped.

www.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 24-7-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

[edit on 24-7-2005 by asala]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This is bad really bad.

i hope it doesnt trigger another tsunami

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Better fix the headline quick I voted to fix headline but suspect to may get no grammer votes because of all caps in headlines that is a no no

Thailand has issued tsunami warning and the center is in the Nicobar island area very sloe to the last big quake

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It's been 2 1/2 hours now since the quake, I doubt there will be a Tsunami as it would have made landfall by now if there was one.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The charts are going nuts.

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Reports are that this was a 7.2,

local coasts are already being evacuated in case, This is almost the same place that was wrecked by the tsunami

CNN

There is a possibility of a destructive local tsunami in the Indian Ocean," the agency said in a written statement about the earthquake, which struck at 12:02 p.m. ET.

In an hour or less, a tsunami could hit all coasts of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands of India and, in Indonesia, the Indian Ocean coast and Malacca coast of Sumatra.

Also see, www.hindu.com...

There was also a 5.6 in sumatra earler today,
www.iris.edu...

[edit on 24-7-2005 by asala]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
7.5 here.

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum

Sanc'.

JESUS!!!

there going crazy

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Those charts, Sanc....why are ones from all over the world solid black? Is it that they are just measuring the indian quake, but at different time intervals due to distance?

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Those charts, Sanc....why are ones from all over the world solid black? Is it that they are just measuring the indian quake, but at different time intervals due to distance?

stu', maybe a software/sensor type deal.

But, large areas of high graphs are not good.

edit:sp

[edit on 24-7-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum

OMG!
Thanks for the link. I have bookmarked it for future use.
I think I'll be getting a lot of use out of it, unfortunately.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
There have been two pretty good aftershocks since this.

2005/07/24 17:28:22.2 8.12 N 92.01 E 33 mb5.2 NICOBAR ISLANDS, INDIA, REG 2005/07/24 17:51
2005/07/24 15:54:34.8 8.12 N 91.92 E 33 mb5.3 NICOBAR ISLANDS, INDIA, REG

Any word on reports of a tsunami?

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
looking at this chart it doesn't seemed to have caused any major waves
www.oceanweather.com...

and I haven't heard anything yet regarding a tsunami anywhere.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Any word on reports of a tsunami?

I heard briefly on the news that there is no reports of a tsunami at this time,

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
There are some warnings.

Thailand issues tsunami alert.
July 25, 2005

THAI authorities have issued a tsunami warning for the southwest coast including Phuket island after a major earthquake in India's Nicobar Islands.

"There is a possibility of a tsunami and if it happens it will affect Phuket, Phang Nga, Krabi, Ranong, Satun and Trang provinces," the National Disaster Warning Centre's director Plodprasop Surasawadi said in an emergency broadcast.

Link

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

There were no immediate reports of casualties or damages. No tsunami has been reported. The islands are in the Indian Ocean between India and Thailand.

The National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo., reported an earthquake of 7.0 magnitude hit near the Nicobar Islands. The quake was centered about 80 miles west of Misha, Nicobar Island.

The earthquake was of magnitude 7.2, struck at 9:12 p.m. and was centered in Nicobar, said I. B. A. Rao, a duty officer in New Delhi's Meteorology Department.

The quake also jolted the southern Indian state of Madras.

"There is nothing to worry about," India's Science and Technology Minister Kapil Sibal said.

Yahoo News
Looks like Thailand was just being cautious.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
thailand just cancelled tsunami alert according to Fox news

good news, doesn't seem to have caused much damage or any injuries.

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Did anyone listen to the hydrophone array recording of the Dec 26th quake? That is the first time I have ever heard an earthquake and considering the hydrophone array was a long way away from the quake site it was really something to hear it in such clarity. An article about the recording can be read at: www.ldeo.columbia.edu...

and the actual recording can be heard at:
www.ldeo.columbia.edu...

What I found most unusual was the length of the thing. I was once stationed out on the Aelutian Islands and experienced constant earthquakes while I was there, but they generally only lasted a few seconds--this thing goes on for 8 minutes.

[edit on 24-7-2005 by Astronomer68]

[edit on 24-7-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Strange co-incidence that the HAARP project was going to do a test this week

posted on Jul, 24 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
DruidTek - I don't understand the significance of your post, can you please explain?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join