It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Battes: The Day the Earth Stood Still..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I found this old BLK/WHT Movie about as close to reality as I've read over the last two decades. Within UFOLOGY and certain reports.

Even tried to locate Battes' book without success. Most inportantly it aspires to the basic principles of UFO understanding now.

Was some or most UFO beliefs taken from this heavy weight movie or writing, or did the writer have access to certain military knowledge?

Dallas

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Alien and UFO culture tends to follow popular culture, rather than the other way around. Aliens get presented as creatures with big eyes and heads in popular literature that flit around in ships, thats what people start seeing. Aliens occupy other vibrational levels and travel the universe in super-ships in the stories, and thats what people start reporting.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Thanks for your thoughts. Though I have trouble with your understanding of how the mix comes together to form the 'norm'.

Battes, I feel for now, had access to something then. Perhap's something in that day under project grudge..

However I want and tried finding his book of the later made movie without success.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
well whats the first documented UFO and alien sighting? if the siting info from people came after this movie then Nygdan was right a im sure he is. and maybe people started seeing this and then this movie came out based on there sitings...but anyway to help at least me understand more so about what your trying to say Dallas...whats the name of this movie so i can check it out...and do you guys know when the first sightings of ufo and aliens were?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   
WOW - living under a rock..??

The Day the Earth Stood Still is regarded by most as one of the original SciFi classics. Some others if you missed them (they should be in anyones collection):

This Island Earth

When Worlds Collide

Forbidden Planet

War of the Worlds - the original one....

And the more recent:

2001 A Space Odyssey

Silent Running

Blade Runner - duh, the best SciFi mover ever....

Andromeda Strain

Alien

Terminator

etc....

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
haha sorry
but as it goes...i was born and movies were already in color so...i havent checked up on the oldies..but i should..i did see the original war of the worlds...but i must say...the new remake...wow!

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I am curious as to what parts of the movie you feel might have come from real sources. Frankly at the time the people who did know something would not have supported the ideas in movie at all. If they had believed any part of the basic concept I do not think history would stand as it does.

Nygdan,

You made a valid point but I think the reverse is just as true. Art generally follows life not the other way around. Granted the UFO community is somewhat unique but not so much as to completely reverse the standard that applies in every other aspect of Art.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Alien and UFO culture tends to follow popular culture, rather than the other way around. Aliens get presented as creatures with big eyes and heads in popular literature that flit around in ships, thats what people start seeing. Aliens occupy other vibrational levels and travel the universe in super-ships in the stories, and thats what people start reporting.

I also think it is the other way around. Flying saucers have been depicted in art long before movies. Even as early as 1916, pilot reports are not that different from today.

www.project1947.com...

Kevin Arnolds famous sighting which is when the term "flying saucers" were coined was in 1947. In the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still", which came out in 1951, was a human looking alien and a robot. Hardly the bug eyed grey type alien. I'm not sure what movie was the first which depicted aliens like that, maybe someone else can answer that.

dez

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Yes ufo's are all through history. It really baffles me how people can 'not' beleive in them. Aliens I'll grant them their sceptism, but to deny the existance of UFO's is just silly. My favorite report is when alexander the great's army was being harassed by "flying shields that dove at the army and frightened the cavalry".

I've actually seen a dvd of the day the earth stood still up at the local wal mart for about 10.00. I may have to go pick it up. I love those old movies. The B-movies are really great too, with super imposed ants destorying cities

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Dez,

If it really baffles you then I suggest you add some basic human nature to the mix along with the current status of our knowledge of UFOs. I agree the evidence is overwhelming but the nature of the subject means that until we reach the absolute proof stage many people will not see it that way.

For some it is simply they have not reached their personal standard in the quantity of evidence required. This is strongly affected by how many people they feel are honest vs the number who will lie. The more you distrust other humans, the less the evidence means to you.

And for a fair amount of people it is as simple as they can just barely handle life as they know it, life on a Universal scale is just beyond them.

Want a simple starting test? Ask 'How many Galaxies, the Milky Way is such a Galaxy, have we seen so far?'

That answer alone will tell you something about them. Then ask 'What percentage of people do you feel are honest, honest as a principle not just when it suits them?'

Then ask them what they think about UFOs or life on other Planets. I think you will find those three things form a rather obvious pattern.

Ok, now I have to go find some sort of official # of Galaxies number from somewhere.

Adding a bit later...

www.nasa.gov...

125 Billion is the current estimate from Hubble alone. The picture associated with that page is stunning. All those galaxies from a small patch of sky that looks empty to our naked eyes.

A.T
(-)

[edit on 7/7/05 by Alexander Tau]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
What gets me in viewing The Day the Earth Stood still recently is that selected curves of their saucer are almost the same as the later SR-71, in fact could it have inspired part of the original blueprint? In this case did life imitate earlier art or was this a leak of an early aircraft concept?

[edit on 7-7-2005 by SkipShipman]

top topics

join