It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gangbuster Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The house has passed a bill that will make gang related crime a federal offense punishable by minimum mandatory sentences. There is evidence that gangs have become international in nature and it is time to do something about it. The thing about this bill that concerns me most is the definition of the word gang, which is listed below in the quote.

The House bill would expand the reach of the federal death penalty, increase the likelihood that 16- and 17-year-olds would be tried as adults in federal court and add five years to the sentences of illegal immigrants for violent crimes and drug-trafficking offenses.

Supporters said the "Gangbusters" bill was designed to give prosecutors and law enforcement officials tools for dealing with gangs similar to those that the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act gives them to combat organized crime.

The House bill defines a gang as groups of three or more individuals who commit two or more federal crimes, one of which is violent. It calls for minimum penalties of 30 years for kidnapping, aggravated sexual abuse or maiming; 20 years for assaults resulting in serious bodily injury; and 10 years for any other gang crime.
Article

After passing congress, the bill was sent to the Judicial Committee to determine its legality. And that’s where it sits.
Article

This has not become law just yet but my guess is that it will. Why pass this type of law but not put a major emphasis on closing the border at the same time. I believe that just passing the Gangbuster Bill will just add numbers to the prison system. There are more than enough willing people to join gangs for the money etc....

[edit on 3-7-2005 by cryptorsa1001]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Gangs hold power in prison. Gangs make new gang members in prison.

"Three or more persons", in other words, if you are with your friends, and your one friend does something stupid and someone dies, two of you will get a mandatory prison term, maybe the death penalty, because you are a gang.

I wonder if this law will apply to priests who rape and the priests who cover up for them?
How about trigger happy cops who who 30 slugs in a man who has no weapon?

To be honest though, when I've watched documentaries about gangs, and "entertainment" type movies about gangs, it makes me want to go on a drive by with rocket launchers.
They are some seriously F'd up people, and the mentality of it all is just prehistoric!

I heard recently there are 57,000 known gangs in the US.

waaarioooors come out and plaaaa--eee-aaaay

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   

"Three or more persons", in other words, if you are with your friends, and your one friend does something stupid and someone dies, two of you will get a mandatory prison term, maybe the death penalty, because you are a gang.

Its not that simple there is a difference if your just walking down the street with your friends and get into a fight and kill someone accidentally, then if it was a planned hit by a organized gang.

[edit on 4-7-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

waaarioooors come out and plaaaa--eee-aaaay

i had forgotten all about that movie. i might have to rent it now.

the show i watched talked about the recruitement and gang training in prison. there are roughlt 750,000 to 2 million gang members in the us.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001...the show i watched talked about the recruitement and gang training in prison. there are roughlt 750,000 to 2 million gang members in the us.

Kill them, kill them all

2,000,000 people who wouldn't care a bit about beating you and your family if it gets them what they want, who wouldn't care about burning your neighborhood or shooting up your friends. Why do we, as a nation, continue to grant these savages "human" rights when they are so protagonistic toward removing yours.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Chuck Stevenson, your right. Part of the problem is that since quite a few of the gang members are illegals law enforcement is not allowed to touch them. Theyhave more rights than us citizens. Its crazy, why would the government give any type of protection to gang members?

I say legalize drugs in order to dry up gangs money supply and the violence that goes with it. What is worse drug use or the violence associated with it?

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001
I say legalize drugs in order to dry up gangs money supply and the violence that goes with it. What is worse drug use or the violence associated with it?

Yep. Whats worse is increasing police state powers to supposedly "crack down on gangs", but end up effecting every single one of us.

Tell me what is the benefit of denying a kid busted at 17 for weed any federal funding for college for life? I'll tell you, a percentage of said individuals will join a gang to survive and make some money since he has no hope of going to college. Which in turn inreases arrests, which in turn increases funding into police, lawyers, judges, and prisons, the way they like it!

There are over 600,000 African Americans in prison, and only 400,000 in college, there are 36 Million African Americans, 13% of the population and over 50% of the prison population.
1 of 7 people in the US is hispanic.

Under this law, every single fight I was ever in while attending school could have been prosecuted as a gang, because none of the adversaries had the balls to fight alone, it was always in groups.
The "Authorities" always sided with the gang too, as if a 50 pound kid is going to attack four or five guys with his bare hands....yeah right.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by cryptorsa1001

Interesting discussion, not 15 minutes ago I was looking at www.knowgangs.com.

The Gangster Disciples have branched into politics and had an income of $100 million one year. Their activities aren't limited to drug trafficking either, white collar crime is in their repertoire.

The definition of a gang:

three or more people,

who share a unique name or have identifiable marks or symbols, (such as tattoos, wearing certain styles of clothing, colors, hairstyles, graffiti, etc.)

associate together on a regular basis and sometimes claim a specific location or territory,

have an identifiable organization or hierarchy, (although the leader for one type of criminal activity may be different from that of another criminal activity),

and either individually or collectively engage in antisocial, unlawful or criminal activity in an effort to further the gang's social or economical status

I don't think just three dudes that are friends committing a crime could be charged with a gang crime. Unless they're all wearing blue and have the same tattoo on their neck.

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
PistolPete, thanks for clearing up the definition of a gang. The site that you posted looks pretty informative. I am glad I am able to carry legally.

new topics

top topics

join