It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So much for the panic and riots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Being one of those affected by the outage across the northeast US last night, I knew there would be some wild speculation here this morning.
Kudos to all you New Yorkers for proving everyone wrong!
There was NO panic, NO looting, NO riots.
As a matter of fact there were 4 yes FOUR burglaries in NYC last night with arrests made in all cases. I think this says a lot about the people in that city and how they will stick together through any kind of adversity. I think it also sends a pretty clear message to any terrorists out there that we won't be very easy to "terrorize" any more.
When the lights went out my wife and I decided to go out and "people watch". Even though I live in a small town everyone was friendlier than usual and ,to be honest, it was a pretty cool party everywhere we went
Overall I would say it was a minor glitch that was long overdue and even if it were a terrorist attack it was far from terrifying.

P.S. The one thing I realized I missed in my emergency kit is a way to keep my beer cold

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 09:04 AM
link   
fill the sink with some cold water, then put your beer in...

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Fry

Glad it seems to have worked out OK in the biggest city affected.

What do you think caused it? Are you concerned to know, or is it just into the daily grind as usual?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Yes, I'm interested in so far as they need to try to prevent it from happening again. I don't, however, have any reason to believe it was any more than a technical difficulty or more probably a series of unfortunate coincidences that cascaded into a bigger problem.
I'll defer judgement to those that work on the power grid and related support structures. Wild conjecture is useless.

zed

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Ah, what a waste of paranoia that was.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Welcome back Fry2! I watched the coverage on the news and it was nice seeing everyone helping each other out, I even saw pedestrians directing traffic in Manhattan.
Most of the people looked like they were having fun, block parties and corner bar's having blackout specials!!

Seems some here panicked much worse than the people who lost power, then again it is a conspiracy board.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Still no word from William, he lives in downtown Manhattan, any news about the situation over there?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I have been unemployed since oct02,been on what many who know me would consider a downward spiral every since.

I personally,am enjoying the time off.....

Had my gas and electric disconnected to save money,plugged into my neighbor's garage outlet to run my puter and phone message system,costs about 20.00 per month.

People in this world take their comfort for granted,if all of this were really necessary we would have been extinct long ago.

Now my fight is with the bank trying to foreclose on my house,contrary to popular belief,foreclosure is illegal,I will be staying here for some time.

God helps those who help themselves.

Live by the sword,die by the sword,but keep one handy to deal with those who live by it.

That power outage will likely turn out to be some kind of fraud just like everything else,fraud in the sense that the reason for it is probably the fault of someone in the government and will never see the light of day.

I am hopeful that this thing is not a precursor of things yet to come,some people say that these so called 'terrorists' did not do any dry runs before the supposed 'attack' on the WTC,well,they probably did until they found weapons that the screeners missed,maybe this is just another test to see what happens.

But then,maybe it just happened because that's just the way it is.

Peace to you.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Tough time; starting with the "EVACUATE THE BUILDING!" announcement and then the stairway which was not lit on a couple floor between my office on the 7th and the lobby. A couple women lost their minds and were crying; making me think that I wasn not onsite at Morgan stanley on 9/11 so maybe my number is up now. I took one by the hand and walked her down. Street level - everything was stopped - no trains, taxis would not stop for passengers, around the normal 'hubs' people were 30 deep on the sidewalk for a block each way. I ended up walking for about 60 blocks to the river, where the line for the ferry into NJ was 8 blocks long.......I cut! Got on, got to NJ, got my brother's sister in-law to pick me up and had my head in my bed at 12:30 am....I started out at 4:15.
Think I might be telecommuting for a while, no?
I did meet the nicest Network Administrator during my trek, who is interviewing for one of my project teams in NJ next week; I lent him a $20 since the ATM's were down.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:26 AM
link   
"Most important, FDR banned political contributions from utility companies -- no 'soft' money, no 'hard' money, no money PERIOD.

But then came George the First. In 1992, just prior to his departure from the White House, President Bush Senior gave the power industry one long deep-through-the-teeth kiss good-bye: federal deregulation of electricity. It was a legacy he wanted to leave for his son, the gratitude of power companies which ponied up $16 million for the Republican campaign of 2000, seven times the sum they gave Democrats.

But Poppy Bush's gift of deregulating of wholesale prices set by the feds only got the power pirates halfway to the plunder of Joe Ratepayer. For the big payday they needed deregulation at the state level. There were only two states, California and Texas, big enough and Republican enough to put the electricity market con into operation.

California fell first. The power companies spent $39 million to defeat a 1998 referendum pushed by Ralph Nadar which would have blocked the de-reg scam. Another $37 million was spent on lobbying and lubricating the campaign coffers of legislators to write a lie into law: in the deregulation act's preamble, the Legislature promised that deregulation would reduce electricity bills by 20%. In fact, when San Diegans in the first California city to go "lawless" looked at their bills, the 20% savings became a 300% jump in surcharges."

In a nutshell, another Bush fueled deregulation initiative that allowed corporations that reap billions from rate payer not to be responsible for ther actions or real customer support ( $22 Billion airline bailout two week after 9/11 anyone?)

www.gregpalast.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:33 AM
link   
We all are aware of what has happened,the question is,what is the purpose for these things?,what is it going to lead to?,is there a roadbed being prepared?.

Is it all a threshold test?,to see just how far the people will allow themselves to be pushed before they react to this crap?.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Why some people laid down the torch over the 2000 election theft is beyond me. Then, after 9/11, that they have not been at his throat is another.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Bout Time is right on the mark as usual. I also think that our focus on terrorism has distracted us from considering who else in the world has threatened to make a "preemptive attack" against the United States.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 11:11 AM
link   
If the whole power outage thing were found to be intentional somehow,it is probably a cover for something that happened when everyone was/is distracted and groping around in the dark.

I wonder about watercraft along the coastlines,maybe it is just a preperatory thing for something bigger,then maybe it isn't.

We'll see.

But then it would be easy to blame something big happening on this whole mess wouldn't it?,like if the lights were out no one would see what was going on,since everyone was/is worried about their frozen veggies thawing out and going rancid.

I think it may be a sign,but then maybe not,are the lights back on yet?.

I find it amusing that the stock market assured everyone that it would be up and running with generators if need be.

Who the FK cares?.this is a full blown depression already.

top topics

join